Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask that fireworks are no longer available except for organised gatherings

163 replies

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:36

After another NY being woken by neighbours' fireworks, AIBU?
They are dangerous (every year someone is injured on Nov 5) and very anti social.

If they aren't banned for personal use, they could be made noiseless only.

I know people will think I'm a party pooper and come along with 'It's only one night of the year' (it's not actually as some neighbours let them off on birthdays and other personal anniversaries.)

People just don't seem to appreciate that not everyone is up at midnight, some people are ill and don't want to be woken up, (in my own family there is someone on treatment for Stage 4 cancer, others with Covid) some people have pets and babies who're disturbed, etc.

OP posts:
Tacotortoise · 02/01/2024 16:15

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 16:12

I don’t understand the ‘look over there’ argument here. We are talking about fireworks. There is absolutely an argument to be had about the impact of domesticated animals on local wildlife, but why have that here?

It's just a bit rich, all the pet owners who suddenly develop this great concern over wild animals on 5th Nov and 31st Dec when they don't give a shit about them the rest of the year. Almost as though they are rather hypocritically reaching for a reason that their hobby should take priority.

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 16:34

Tacotortoise · 02/01/2024 16:15

It's just a bit rich, all the pet owners who suddenly develop this great concern over wild animals on 5th Nov and 31st Dec when they don't give a shit about them the rest of the year. Almost as though they are rather hypocritically reaching for a reason that their hobby should take priority.

We don’t live in a world where we can entirely adhere to our morals, you can care about climate change whilst also driving a car and going on holiday, or be against workers being underpaid whilst unknowingly buying clothes that are made in exploitative workshops.

But here’s my list of pros and cons of fireworks

cons
damaging to environment
damaging to wildlife
causes fear in domesticated animals
causes fear in people with ptsd, or children with sen
causes accidents and fires

pros
pretty lights go bang

GreenWheat · 02/01/2024 17:29

CatamaranViper · 02/01/2024 16:13

TBF, these threads appear every January and November. You can say it on an anonymous forum until you're blue in the face but that doesn't change anything. It's pointless to complain or "ask" on here for things to change and then not do anything about it in the real world.

Praise the lord that it's almost the end of the seasonal moaning period on MN. Seasonal Moaners Bingo has not disappointed - we've had Halloween, Bonfire Night Christmas, NYE. Just "Christmas trees being put out for collection" to go before normal business can resume!

BruceAndNosh · 02/01/2024 17:35

I grew up in Northern Ireland in the 70sbwhere - understandably - it was unwise to sell explosive devices to the general public.
But there were organised public firework displays which we went to instead.

Lorac23 · 02/01/2024 17:41

I like a proper organised display as much as anyone but this year near us they went on for a whole hour, just a taste of what is currently going on in Ukraine and the Middle East. Quite apart from the sheer tone deafness of it all, and the effects on animals and those with PTSD just as a couple of examples, I don't actually understand why people don't just take a few hundred quid out at the cash point and set fire to it. Bizarrely (or maybe not), the more run down the area I've lived in, the bigger the bangs seem to have to be....

There's no excuse for the noise, in a world where we now have noiseless fireworks and clever drone show options. Frankly though it will take some minister or celeb being injured before anything is even likely to be debated.

IHS · 02/01/2024 17:55

We had someone on our estate let of display grade fireworks on the estate green - for the kiddies you know 🙄 - it was like bloody Beirut. The walls of the house were shaking with the bangs. They were reported to the council and the police and have been spoken to. Village FB page full of Karen accusations and "think of the poor kiddies" ffs.

ReindeerShelter · 02/01/2024 18:58

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 12:23

My friends very young puppy had a heartattack due to fireworks as they were so scared, another local person to me answered the door and pup was next to her when a firework went off, pup ran out the door scared and got hit by a car. Its not really bullshit.

But totally agree, the general public cannot be trusted, we are generally really sensible but had a slight mishap with fireworks one NYE, we ran indoors when one fell over and shut the patio doors, no one was hurt but it damaged the glass on the door. We thought we had followed the instructions properly.

Your pet, your problem.

The world doesn’t revolve around your pet, and people shouldn’t have to change their activities for them, especially when they haven’t chosen to be tied down by a pet (or, if they have a pet and have actually trained it).

So yeah, it is bullshit.

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 19:08

ReindeerShelter · 02/01/2024 18:58

Your pet, your problem.

The world doesn’t revolve around your pet, and people shouldn’t have to change their activities for them, especially when they haven’t chosen to be tied down by a pet (or, if they have a pet and have actually trained it).

So yeah, it is bullshit.

Wow, nice. Not my pets anyway but I am not a complete cunt and can still have compassion for others situations
Not a lot you can do if your relative has PTSD though is there, but I guess that's not your problem either as long as you can have your fireworks randomly at any time throughout the year.

Most people are fine with the displays at normal times but TBH I was mildly irritated at 930 last night just because it was annoying and we were chilling, no other reason. I would have been pissed off if my 4 yo had been woken up the night before back to school after the Xmas break though.

ReindeerShelter · 02/01/2024 20:25

@Legendairy It was a general “you”. Not a specific you.

Again, whatever excuse people come up with to ban fireworks (pets, child, PTSD relative), it really is nobody else’s problem.

Anyway, as I said, I don’t think the general public should have free access to them based on safety grounds alone.

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 20:48

ReindeerShelter · 02/01/2024 20:25

@Legendairy It was a general “you”. Not a specific you.

Again, whatever excuse people come up with to ban fireworks (pets, child, PTSD relative), it really is nobody else’s problem.

Anyway, as I said, I don’t think the general public should have free access to them based on safety grounds alone.

You're right they shouldn't have access to them. I'm just surprised that you have said nothing is no one else's problem, my dog has more empathy than you 🤣 although he'd happily shit in the street and not clear it up as he doesn't care that much about others.

ReindeerShelter · 02/01/2024 21:10

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 20:48

You're right they shouldn't have access to them. I'm just surprised that you have said nothing is no one else's problem, my dog has more empathy than you 🤣 although he'd happily shit in the street and not clear it up as he doesn't care that much about others.

It’s a dog. It doesn’t have empathy. Pet owners need to stop ascribing human emotions to their animals 🙄

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 21:20

It’s a dog. It doesn’t have empathy. Pet owners need to stop ascribing human emotions to their animals 🙄

I wasn't really being serious, it was a comment relating to your lack of, my dog mostly only cares if I feed him. If I am ill he never leaves my side though so maybe he does have a little bit.

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 22:18

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 16:10

Sure, a line needs to be drawn somewhere. There’s been a lot of examples and evidence of the negative impact on animals. You don’t have to care, but I do, and it leads me to believe personal fireworks should be banned (added reason for me being my grandma who suffered ptsd which fireworks really impacted her),

to me there’s a difference between a fun activity that causes annoyance, like a parkrun, versus one that causes actual harm, like fireworks.

But we cannot have rules and laws that eliminate every possible harm. Another one will just turn up. Impossible.

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 22:25

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 21:20

I wasn't really being serious, it was a comment relating to your lack of, my dog mostly only cares if I feed him. If I am ill he never leaves my side though so maybe he does have a little bit.

Dogs, as sentient and intelligent beings, do have empathy for those things that matter to them. It is outrageous to suggest that because they do not speak they have no real feelings. Much research has shown that animals are not instinctive but act upon information received and thinking about that information. Crows, for example, are great problem solvers and also able to pass what they have learned to other members of their group. They also have long memories, which means you should not upset your local crow.

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 22:28

Dogs, as sentient and intelligent beings, do have empathy for those things that matter to them. It is outrageous to suggest that because they do not speak they have no real feelings. Much research has shown that animals are not instinctive but act upon information received and thinking about that information. Crows, for example, are great problem solvers and also able to pass what they have learned to other members of their group. They also have long memories, which means you should not upset your local crow.

Yes I totally agree, it wasn't me that said it. They may not have feelings in the same way/thought process as humans but they clearly have very strong feelings. They definitely know when things aren't right, one of my dogs had a serious operation and my other dog (very large breed but only a pup) just knew to be gentle with him. They know an awful lot and whilst perhaps not full on empathy they certainly have more feelings and are more caring than the poster I was replying to.

SpecialCharacters · 02/01/2024 22:37

As someone who has twice been attacked by youths with fireworks, definitely up for them to be sold to licensed displays only.

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 22:40

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 22:18

But we cannot have rules and laws that eliminate every possible harm. Another one will just turn up. Impossible.

Agreed, but every ‘fun’ activity needs to be weighed up with the risk/reward analysis. It’s not about eliminating harm, but minimising it. Alcohol is fun, but there are still limits in place for when you are allowed to do it (eg no drink driving, or underage drinking). I’m not saying we should have a complete ban on fireworks, but giving anyone who wants an explosive in their garden is a recipe for disaster.

XenoBitch · 02/01/2024 23:29

Yep, there is a thread in AIBU right now about someone who has upset the local crows.

Another vote here for fireworks being for registered displays only, and not available to the general public. They are explosives, and some cunts do use them to frighten/hurt people.

Grammarnut · 03/01/2024 08:47

Not aimed at you, Xeno, but to Reindeer person who said dogs are just dogs, no empathy etc.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 03/01/2024 08:50

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 15:53

Kitchen knives are dangerous - and vegetable chopping knives (the big ones) are the ones most often used in domestic murders. Shall we ban kitchen knives because they are dangerous?

They have a useful purpose - as do cars.

Fireworks don't.

As for complaining on here and not doing anything about it, I have asked why my local council can't ban garden bonfires when other councils do via bylaws and haven't had a reply.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 03/01/2024 08:54

I see no reason for dogs to be upset by a human activity that doesn't need to happen.

Not just dogs, cats don't like them either. And I suspect the impact on wildlife is significant, too.

People WANT fireworks, they don't NEED them. Well I want doesn't get. People need to consider whether their wants have a disproportionately bad impact on the people around them. It's quite easy to be considerate. Occasionally you can't help it, eg if you need your trees cutting down, there will be noise from the tools. But you don't have to be deliberately annoying (see also being noisy or eating smelly foods on trains).

AllProperTeaIsTheft · 03/01/2024 09:10

People WANT fireworks, they don't NEED them. Well I want doesn't get.

'I want' does get though, particularly when the majority either want something or aren't fussed either way, or when the opinion of those whom it does bother (e.g. animals) isn't as important.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Grammarnut · 03/01/2024 09:17

enchantedsquirrelwood · 03/01/2024 08:50

They have a useful purpose - as do cars.

Fireworks don't.

As for complaining on here and not doing anything about it, I have asked why my local council can't ban garden bonfires when other councils do via bylaws and haven't had a reply.

I didn't say you should campaign, nor did I complain you did not. Fireworks do serve a useful purpose. Or do you think that anything that is just for fun and pleasure is useless?

Grammarnut · 03/01/2024 09:21

enchantedsquirrelwood · 03/01/2024 08:54

I see no reason for dogs to be upset by a human activity that doesn't need to happen.

Not just dogs, cats don't like them either. And I suspect the impact on wildlife is significant, too.

People WANT fireworks, they don't NEED them. Well I want doesn't get. People need to consider whether their wants have a disproportionately bad impact on the people around them. It's quite easy to be considerate. Occasionally you can't help it, eg if you need your trees cutting down, there will be noise from the tools. But you don't have to be deliberately annoying (see also being noisy or eating smelly foods on trains).

Want and need are sometimes the same thing. I don't need an inside lavatory, and the Victorians considered it insanitary to have WCs inside the house. However, I do want an inside lavatory when I need a pee in the middle of the night (the Victorians used a po) and for the safety of women the nearer the lavatory is to the inhabitants of a house the better. As to fireworks, well maybe we do not need them in the sense that we need an accessible lavatory, but we do both want and need light in the darkness of winter and that is mostly when we have fireworks. Festivals of light need lights, lights on Christmas trees, bonfires in the darkness, fireworks to light up the sky, to remind us that winter ends, spring and hope always return. In that sense we definitely need fireworks.

Grammarnut · 03/01/2024 09:32

Lorac23 · 02/01/2024 17:41

I like a proper organised display as much as anyone but this year near us they went on for a whole hour, just a taste of what is currently going on in Ukraine and the Middle East. Quite apart from the sheer tone deafness of it all, and the effects on animals and those with PTSD just as a couple of examples, I don't actually understand why people don't just take a few hundred quid out at the cash point and set fire to it. Bizarrely (or maybe not), the more run down the area I've lived in, the bigger the bangs seem to have to be....

There's no excuse for the noise, in a world where we now have noiseless fireworks and clever drone show options. Frankly though it will take some minister or celeb being injured before anything is even likely to be debated.

The poor have few pleasures. They cannot go skiing, they are unlikely to go on treks to the Andes. Fireworks bring great pleasure. You remark on a display going on for an hour. If I have paid to go to a firework show I want it to go on for an hour. I have bought several tickets and spent money on soup and hotdogs, so ten minutes of noiseless stuff is going to piss me off to the point I want my money back and won't go next year. Not unreasonable as a reaction.
There is a puritanical streak in the British that doesn't like pleasure for its own sake. Fireworks are pure pleasure for many people and for some one of the few pleasures they can afford, so stopping them is mean-spirited. In winter we need light in the darkness. Why do we celebrate Christmas in December in the northern hemisphere? Jesus called the Christ was most likely born in August (which may be referenced by the mention of the census of Augustus, which never happened). We celebrate in the dark months when light is needed. We send fireworks into the sky to encourage the sun to return, just as we light bonfires, little suns on earth. Magic has its place. Technocratic solutions, silent fireworks and bans on private displays, have no relationship to nor understanding of humanity and its needs.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.