Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask that fireworks are no longer available except for organised gatherings

163 replies

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:36

After another NY being woken by neighbours' fireworks, AIBU?
They are dangerous (every year someone is injured on Nov 5) and very anti social.

If they aren't banned for personal use, they could be made noiseless only.

I know people will think I'm a party pooper and come along with 'It's only one night of the year' (it's not actually as some neighbours let them off on birthdays and other personal anniversaries.)

People just don't seem to appreciate that not everyone is up at midnight, some people are ill and don't want to be woken up, (in my own family there is someone on treatment for Stage 4 cancer, others with Covid) some people have pets and babies who're disturbed, etc.

OP posts:
MintJulia · 02/01/2024 12:32

The annual complaint about noise/sleep puzzles me.

We have church bells at 6am, people pigeon-shooting and lamping, deer barking, owls hooting, foxes screaming and cats yowling. There is always noise at night. A few fireworks don't make any difference. Most people just sleep through.

This New Year's Eve, the fireworks ended, but next door's tomcat carried on its competitive yowling with a rival.

It's quieter here during the day 😀

TheCadoganArms · 02/01/2024 12:34

ExtraOnions · 02/01/2024 11:38

…not this one again .. same thread every Bonfire / NYE

Cue comments about pets, PTSD, waking children etc

I don't have pets, PTSD or children but I still find my dickhead neighbours impromptu displays at random times of year irritating and inconsiderate beyond belief.

Lotrehin · 02/01/2024 12:36

I want to ban all moaning. Can barely hear any fireworks above it.

CaravaggiosCat · 02/01/2024 12:36

Just noiseless will do. Not everyone wants to stand at a huge organised crowded event. I like the flexibility of doing them when I'm ready or watching other peoples from the comfort of my bedroom or living room.

Andbabysaid · 02/01/2024 12:37

YANBU.

Most of those that shout "killjoy" the loudest, laughing gleefully at the suffering of others are those that seem to need to set them off in their own gardens. They are thick twats, don't give a shit about anyone, probably own an XL bully, whine about CoL despite having enough money for a brand new phone, fags, the XL bully and enough fireworks for 15 shit parties a year in their shit ridden gardens.

I don't mind fireworks at organised, licenced displays but we (including my teenagers) think we are reasonable in thinking that anything that causes harm to others should be more regulated and not available to anyone to abuse, whenever they fancy it. Certainly not in the glee-filled passion way that they are used at the moment. I honestly think people set them off to spite others. Because they can.

RancidRuby · 02/01/2024 12:38

I think noiseless fireworks are the way to go, but TBH I wouldn't care if they were totally banned as I can't see the point of them. The first few whizz bangs and pretty lights in the sky can be somewhat fun (if you're a child or easily pleased) but after that it's just more of the same and becomes boring very quickly.

madeinmanc · 02/01/2024 12:40

romdowa · 02/01/2024 11:43

You need a license here in the Republic of Ireland to purchase and hold a fireworks display and its done us no harm what so ever. The odd few go up the north and get them but its not like it is in the UK. 90% of people don't bother . I heard no fireworks at all nye

Very interesting, I often think we don't hear enough about Ireland when it comes to issues in the news and public policy etc. It seems we always compare with the US or France/Germany instead.

BlackberrySky · 02/01/2024 12:42

I think a compromise would be noiseless ones for general sale and the loud ones limited to organised displays. But I agree with the PP who said it's probably the thin end of the wedge re zealots, because then they would be moaning about the "light pollution" from the noiseless ones.

BanjoMango · 02/01/2024 12:42

Youcannotbeseriousreally · 02/01/2024 11:44

I honestly don’t understand how people are happy to literally burn money.

75 seconds of fireworks was £85 at Costco! mad that people will buy them tbh.

You could say this about most non essentials though couldn't you? It's all a waste except you rationalise it as worth it due to your perceived enjoyment/ need for the item, but that doesn't mean its actually worth it

MrsElijahMikaelson1 · 02/01/2024 12:43

Around DDs uni some of the idiots around campus were letting off rockets from their hands 😱 Takes me back to the old days working in the burns unit with kids blowing fingers off etc… Should be organised only IMO.

bastin · 02/01/2024 12:45

They should be silent

No need for the noise

pictoosh · 02/01/2024 12:47

I've never bought any fireworks myself (waste of money) but they don't bother me at all. That's the truth. I don't care about midnight pops and bangs. My neighbours are welcome to let some off if they want.

surreygirl1987 · 02/01/2024 12:54

I FULLY agree. And even organised displays should be low bangs ones. I cannot believe they're still allowed.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 02/01/2024 12:55

I totally agree with you OP - the negative impact it has on other people massively outweighs the enjoyment it brings to many (and in many cases I think people just enjoy being annoying, letting really noisy ones off).

Organised displays only in my view. Also agree with quieter fireworks, no need for it to sound like a local oil refinery has been blown up.

Sparklers can be allowed.

While they are at it they can ban garden bonfires as well. Anti-social at best, dangerous at worst.

LlynTegid · 02/01/2024 12:56

I agree with you OP, and would have designated days only, NYE would be one of them. Designated days allow for people never to be caught unawares.

NYE, Guy Fawkes Night, nearest Saturday to Guy Fawkes Night, one or two for Diwali, cannot think of any more.

SlashBeef · 02/01/2024 12:56

I don't feel strongly either way but I do find it fascinating that we sell explosives to members of the public for "special occassions". It's mad when you think about it.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 02/01/2024 12:58

madeinmanc · 02/01/2024 12:40

Very interesting, I often think we don't hear enough about Ireland when it comes to issues in the news and public policy etc. It seems we always compare with the US or France/Germany instead.

Yes. And what people forget is that the NYE thing is "new" - people didn't set them off in the UK until the Millennium and then for some reason it was decided that they would carry on doing it.

Lotrehin · 02/01/2024 13:02

some of the idiots around campus were letting off rockets from their hands

This would make an excellent Marvel movie.

EvilElsa · 02/01/2024 13:10

I absolutely hate them as I have a rescue dog that is terrified to wetting herself level. Luckily we don't seem to have loads go off round here, but the last display they had on the 3rd November at the local school was absolutely ridiculous. It honestly sounded like a war zone, the noise was incredible, even from across the village. I don't know why it was so different this year, but it was shocking and lots complained. We've also had spent fireworks end up in the horses field which is so dangerous.
I'm not one of those people who thinks the world should revolve around my pets, I'm fine with the odd noisy party, but quiet fireworks are available and still beautiful. Surely that's the compromise?

Saucery · 02/01/2024 13:13

enchantedsquirrelwood · 02/01/2024 12:58

Yes. And what people forget is that the NYE thing is "new" - people didn't set them off in the UK until the Millennium and then for some reason it was decided that they would carry on doing it.

Yes, it wasn’t a Thing before then, but people go on about it like it’s an ancient tradition Hmm
Light festivals in the middle of winter are an ancient tradition but not one that needs to involve today’s commercially available incredibly loud fireworks.

Quiet ones would be great, lantern (not floating ones) processions etc - brilliant, let’s celebrate the end of the Old year and welcome the New.

Many of the pop up firework shops are covers for criminal activity / money laundering too, so that’s what the money you’re literally burning in seconds is propping up.

More twats need to burn their hands off or lose an eye tbh, then it can be become a public safety issue and legislation can be brought in. Only if they are the ones lighting the fireworks in the first place, mind.

They actually don’t bother me much, personally. Dog’s not bad with them either, bit squirrelly if they are close, but we’ve trained her from little not to be scared and she’s a gundog. But so many people and animals are stressed, distressed and upset by them (it’s never for two nights a year) - why should an activity that has an acceptable alternative take precedence over the wishes of the people whose lives it affects so negatively.

Blanketpolicy · 02/01/2024 13:18

I never heard any this NY. Not sure if it is due to the cost of living crisis, as they are expensive, or if their popularity is decreasing. In November I only heard next door let off a few (our gardens are way too small for fireworks!)

The noise doesn't bother me but Imo they should not be on sale to general public for safety reasons. In November some kids got their hands on some and fired them into the bus station here, thankfully no one was injured, but it could have been very nasty.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Lotrehin · 02/01/2024 13:19

Light festivals in the middle of winter arean ancient tradition but not one that needs to involve today’s commercially available incredibly loud fireworks.

Agree with this. We should go back to sacrificing people on carefully placed stones.

Saucery · 02/01/2024 13:21

Light festivals in the middle of winter arean ancient tradition but not one that needs to involve today’s commercially available incredibly loud fireworks.

Agree with this. We should go back to sacrificing people on carefully placed stones.

Only the ones that let off super loud rockets on any date other than 5th Nov. Their entrails would be a worthy offering to the Gods Wink

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 02/01/2024 13:22

Quietly, apart from a bit of muffled chanting.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.