Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask that fireworks are no longer available except for organised gatherings

163 replies

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:36

After another NY being woken by neighbours' fireworks, AIBU?
They are dangerous (every year someone is injured on Nov 5) and very anti social.

If they aren't banned for personal use, they could be made noiseless only.

I know people will think I'm a party pooper and come along with 'It's only one night of the year' (it's not actually as some neighbours let them off on birthdays and other personal anniversaries.)

People just don't seem to appreciate that not everyone is up at midnight, some people are ill and don't want to be woken up, (in my own family there is someone on treatment for Stage 4 cancer, others with Covid) some people have pets and babies who're disturbed, etc.

OP posts:
enchantedsquirrelwood · 02/01/2024 15:06

Fireworks are traditionally used to clear the air. That is why they are let off. We have bonfires, too. Are you wanting to ban those

yes I said that upthread. Garden bonfires are anti-social at best and dangerous at worst.

I propose the Bonfire and Firework Controls Act.

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 15:09

Fireworks are traditionally used to clear the air. That is why they are let off. We have bonfires, too. Are you wanting to ban those

yes I said that upthread. Garden bonfires are anti-social at best and dangerous at worst.

It must vary a lot across the UK. @enchantedsquirrelwood

Bonfires are banned in many areas.

They have been banned for years where my parents live. No bonfires of any kind allowed or solid fuel (coal) fires, only smokeless.

They are not banned where I am, as we are not (yet) a smokeless zone. There is an anti-social order around them however, where someone can report nuisance bonfires to environmental health. And the burning of noxious substances like plastic is banned.

OP posts:
Blanketpolicy · 02/01/2024 15:21

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 15:04

Fireworks are traditionally used to clear the air. That is why they are let off. We have bonfires, too. Are you wanting to ban those?

I've heard that they were originally used in china to ward of evil spirits or something but never any stories they were used to "clean the air" - modern fireworks introduce cocktail of harmful chemicals into the air.

athingofbeauty · 02/01/2024 15:27

I agree they shouldn't be sold for private use, if only because they are dangerous.

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 15:27

Sadly, life is not safe. There are already controls on fireworks and bonfires. Fireworks may only be sold to those over 18 and only appear in the shops where I live in the run-up to Diwali, Eid el Fitr and Guy Fawkes, and then for New Year. Bonfires can only be lit after dusk and the fire brigade will turn up to out-of-control fires and neighbours will call, and I have done this. Fireworks are heavily controlled, being locked up in shops, and permitted only before 11 pm, except at Diwali and New Years Eve, when the cut off is midnight/1 a.m. This seems entirely reasonable. People cannot be restricted in everything they do. Banning something or making it overly restricted results in black markets, dodgy and therefore dangerous goods etc (not that I support the legalisation of drugs - that is a whole different can of worms). Compared to my childhood, when fireworks were really only available around Guy Fawkes, but could be purchased by children and included such items as jumping jacks and hold-in-the hand candles restrictions are now tight - and the number of accidents have fallen, thank goodness. Yes, if you have a baby, cats, or dogs it can be difficult, but I have had all three and not been that bothered by fireworks, they all slept through them, though my son saw his first fireworks when he was about 14 months old, since he was born in September. He liked them.

JazbayGrapes · 02/01/2024 15:28

I agree with regulation but not a complete ban.

Thementalloadisreal · 02/01/2024 15:33

People are all for letting everyone “have fun” with explosives until there are teenagers playing with them down their street. Maybe adults shouldn’t be normalising them and companies shouldn’t be making them available to every idiot going.

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 15:35

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 14:58

A little sanctimonious. What is wrong with people having fun? Our neighbours across the road have fireworks. I like watching them. We used to have several dogs - we put music on for them and gave them a big meal on November 5th, and Diwali, and Eid, so they would be dozy - this is general advice for these occasions. Why does everything have to be safe and silent, so boring and so pointless, since the accident that happens is never one on the risk assessment.

It’s not just dogs though is it? It can really mess with local wildlife. Fun is fine, but not at others expense, no one needs fireworks to have fun

WhatsInStoreFor2024 · 02/01/2024 15:53

LakeTiticaca · 02/01/2024 12:21

It's hardly a surprise that there will.be fireworks on bonfire night and NYE.
It happens every year 😉

We only seem to ever hear them on Diwali and Chinese new year!

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 15:53

Kitchen knives are dangerous - and vegetable chopping knives (the big ones) are the ones most often used in domestic murders. Shall we ban kitchen knives because they are dangerous?

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 15:55

It’s not just dogs though is it? It can really mess with local wildlife. Fun is fine, but not at others expense, no one needs fireworks to have fun

The local wildlife will be a lot tougher than that. They are not stupid and probably know that as the evenings draw in the time of loud bangs and lights in the sky is coming round. They are sentient beings, after all, and this has been going on for generations.

Fieldofbrokenpromises · 02/01/2024 15:56

athingofbeauty · 02/01/2024 15:27

I agree they shouldn't be sold for private use, if only because they are dangerous.

Yeah - add Cigarettes and booze whilst you're at it?

SoupDragon · 02/01/2024 15:56

There are loads of things no one "needs" to have in order to have fun and loads of things that equate to fun at the expense of others. Eg Parkrun gets in the way of quiet enjoyment of the park so ban it!

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 15:57

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 15:09

It must vary a lot across the UK. @enchantedsquirrelwood

Bonfires are banned in many areas.

They have been banned for years where my parents live. No bonfires of any kind allowed or solid fuel (coal) fires, only smokeless.

They are not banned where I am, as we are not (yet) a smokeless zone. There is an anti-social order around them however, where someone can report nuisance bonfires to environmental health. And the burning of noxious substances like plastic is banned.

If you live in the UK bonfires around November 5th will not be banned.

Vitad · 02/01/2024 16:00

I agree, it should be organised events only not to the general public.

I am lucky now I’ve moved I never hear fireworks go off but in my previous house it was a real big cause of stress having unexpected ones go off and it would cause me to have a meltdown.

Tacotortoise · 02/01/2024 16:00

Mmm, I'll vote for this at about the same time they change the law to say that dogs must be kept on.leads in public places and cats must be confined to their owners property. Two things that would be excellent for our native wildlife.

biscuitnut · 02/01/2024 16:05

I would go one further and ban the fucking things entirely. They are boring and people who like them are boring. Kids aren’t arsed, it always childish adults who lose their minds over things going ‘bang’. I realise I sound a miserable cow and I don’t care. 😂

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 16:07

Grammarnut · 02/01/2024 15:55

The local wildlife will be a lot tougher than that. They are not stupid and probably know that as the evenings draw in the time of loud bangs and lights in the sky is coming round. They are sentient beings, after all, and this has been going on for generations.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f92de15d3bf7f35f06ae3b4/fireworks-evidence-submission-rspca.pdf

Research has been done in farm animals showing how the stress of fireworks affects them, harder to conduct research on wild animals but still evidence to show they have a fear response

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f92de15d3bf7f35f06ae3b4/fireworks-evidence-submission-rspca.pdf

Tacotortoise · 02/01/2024 16:10

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 16:07

Research has been done in farm animals showing how the stress of fireworks affects them, harder to conduct research on wild animals but still evidence to show they have a fear response

Plenty of research out there to show that wild animals show a fear response to dogs and cats. And not just a fear response, greater mortality, more nest failures, disturbance to patternsvof feeding and resting.

Dog/cat owners need to tend to the beam in their own eyes before worrying about the effect of fireworks on wildlife.

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 16:10

SoupDragon · 02/01/2024 15:56

There are loads of things no one "needs" to have in order to have fun and loads of things that equate to fun at the expense of others. Eg Parkrun gets in the way of quiet enjoyment of the park so ban it!

Edited

Sure, a line needs to be drawn somewhere. There’s been a lot of examples and evidence of the negative impact on animals. You don’t have to care, but I do, and it leads me to believe personal fireworks should be banned (added reason for me being my grandma who suffered ptsd which fireworks really impacted her),

to me there’s a difference between a fun activity that causes annoyance, like a parkrun, versus one that causes actual harm, like fireworks.

AlizeeEasy · 02/01/2024 16:12

Tacotortoise · 02/01/2024 16:10

Plenty of research out there to show that wild animals show a fear response to dogs and cats. And not just a fear response, greater mortality, more nest failures, disturbance to patternsvof feeding and resting.

Dog/cat owners need to tend to the beam in their own eyes before worrying about the effect of fireworks on wildlife.

I don’t understand the ‘look over there’ argument here. We are talking about fireworks. There is absolutely an argument to be had about the impact of domesticated animals on local wildlife, but why have that here?

blackpanth · 02/01/2024 16:12

They're never going to get Banned

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

blackpanth · 02/01/2024 16:13

And don't see the point in noiseless ones. Wouldn't be the same.

CatamaranViper · 02/01/2024 16:13

TBF, these threads appear every January and November. You can say it on an anonymous forum until you're blue in the face but that doesn't change anything. It's pointless to complain or "ask" on here for things to change and then not do anything about it in the real world.

Fieldofbrokenpromises · 02/01/2024 16:15

CatamaranViper · 02/01/2024 16:13

TBF, these threads appear every January and November. You can say it on an anonymous forum until you're blue in the face but that doesn't change anything. It's pointless to complain or "ask" on here for things to change and then not do anything about it in the real world.

Thankfully real life is a bit more reasonable than threads on here.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.