Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask that fireworks are no longer available except for organised gatherings

163 replies

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:36

After another NY being woken by neighbours' fireworks, AIBU?
They are dangerous (every year someone is injured on Nov 5) and very anti social.

If they aren't banned for personal use, they could be made noiseless only.

I know people will think I'm a party pooper and come along with 'It's only one night of the year' (it's not actually as some neighbours let them off on birthdays and other personal anniversaries.)

People just don't seem to appreciate that not everyone is up at midnight, some people are ill and don't want to be woken up, (in my own family there is someone on treatment for Stage 4 cancer, others with Covid) some people have pets and babies who're disturbed, etc.

OP posts:
LenaLamont · 03/01/2024 09:35

Where are these “organised events”?

The city council used to put on yearly displays that attracted 75,000 people. Because of government budget cuts to local authorities these have been cancelled.

That means more private bonfires and fireworks as the safe, professional and organised one isn’t available.

Tartantatooes · 03/01/2024 09:57

I think fire works in peoples garden are slowly dying out anyway . I've noticed them declining on bonfire night and nye in my area.

Saucery · 03/01/2024 10:04

The city council used to put on yearly displays that attracted 75,000 people. Because of government budget cuts to local authorities these have been cancelled.

That means more private bonfires and fireworks as the safe, professional and organised one isn’t available.

The council don’t put them on in my area, haven’t done for over 40 years. In fact the last one I went to as a child my parents took us home early as the fire safety was shit and they could see an accident happening (it did the following year, a rocket was set off wrongly and shot into the crowd, burning a couple of spectators).
It tends to be businesses - rugby club, football club, conservative / RBL clubs etc. They helpfully spread them out for 10 days or so across actual Bonfire Night, so they can each make money. Hmm

Fieldofbrokenpromises · 03/01/2024 10:08

SpecialCharacters · 02/01/2024 22:37

As someone who has twice been attacked by youths with fireworks, definitely up for them to be sold to licensed displays only.

I suspect the kind of people who attacked you will easily find a way to get fireworks.

As usual with bans, they tend to affect the law abiding more than the actual target.

Fieldofbrokenpromises · 03/01/2024 10:09

The last organised display in our town (population 14k and growing fast) was
about 3 years ago. Sports clubs who used to do them say they can longer afford the insurance and other event costs.

TrashedSofa · 03/01/2024 10:12

It's a good point. If people don't have access to a public event where they can watch a firework exhibition on a date where fireworks are common, some of them are going to run their own. The most efficient way to reduce the amount of fireworks outside organised events might well be to campaign for more publicly funded official displays. Calls for bans aren't doing anything.

Theunamedcat · 03/01/2024 10:23

I think the huge ones can be banned for personal use the people across the road set them off I found them in my front garden the following morning they also landed on my and my neighbours car I live on a main road (so wide) have a bay for parking (makes the road wider) PLUS I have a decent size front garden footpath etc he set them off at the end of his garden so they travelled a fair distance embedded themselves in my front lawn that could have hit someone and injured them

Willyoujustbequiet · 03/01/2024 10:34

I love fireworks.

I'd support an organised display only if that's what people want but I never hear them. Not a sausage on NYE or Bonfire night this year. It wouldn't bother my dog anyway.

Goodlard · 03/01/2024 10:39

I tell you if banning them was based on people complaining on MN, then they'd be banned.

But as the moaning on MN is going to make no difference, I'd stop wasting your energy!

Alcyoneus · 03/01/2024 10:42

The people moaning about fireworks are largely the same people who hide behind the same sofa anytime someone knocks on the door and start a thread on MN asking if they are unreasonable to not open a door. Get help.

Goodlard · 03/01/2024 10:42

Youcannotbeseriousreally · 02/01/2024 11:44

I honestly don’t understand how people are happy to literally burn money.

75 seconds of fireworks was £85 at Costco! mad that people will buy them tbh.

According to one MN on another post, their neighbours were letting fireworks off continuously for 2 hours!

She couldn't understand that I wouldn't believe that, but based on this it would've cost £8160 .....

Just didn't ring true to me 🤷‍♀️

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 03/01/2024 10:44

I agree they should be banned for personal use. I'm not bothered by the noise, but my DD was hit in the face by a firework a few years ago. Very fortunately she did not require medical treatment, but it could have been a different story. I only attend organised fireworks displays now.

CatamaranViper · 03/01/2024 10:55

enchantedsquirrelwood · 03/01/2024 08:54

I see no reason for dogs to be upset by a human activity that doesn't need to happen.

Not just dogs, cats don't like them either. And I suspect the impact on wildlife is significant, too.

People WANT fireworks, they don't NEED them. Well I want doesn't get. People need to consider whether their wants have a disproportionately bad impact on the people around them. It's quite easy to be considerate. Occasionally you can't help it, eg if you need your trees cutting down, there will be noise from the tools. But you don't have to be deliberately annoying (see also being noisy or eating smelly foods on trains).

Dogs are upset by human activities all the time!

Being forced the breed then having their pups removed from them. Sure it doesn't have the same 'quaking and pissing everywhere' result that a firework can have, but it can cause them to feel upset.

Some dogs can be upset when put in a crate while owners go out/go to bed. People train their dogs to be okay with it but the first few times often upset them.

I'm sure there are many more examples where we upset dogs to fit them into our lives, why single out fireworks?.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.