163 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
33%
You are NOT being unreasonable
67%
WashItTomorrow · 31/12/2023 14:30

LadyRoughDiamond · 31/12/2023 14:28

We’re away til tomorrow and so took everything down before we left on the 29th. Want to come home to the new season, not Xmas.

What new season? It’s still winter, and it’s still Christmas-time.

baileybrosbuildingandloan · 31/12/2023 14:43

Toomuchstuffeverywhere · 31/12/2023 12:05

@SquirmOfEels Gosh, would people really keep it up another week? We’re back to work/school Tuesday & Wednesday, seems bit weird to still have decorations etc
I feel a bit sad taking it all down, but also it’s such a mess and stuff just everywhere it’s annoying me now 🙈😂

Keep mine up till the 6th. Love this transition period. Love having the lights up for New Year. Cheers me up as I go back to work (am lucky to get the week off).

You do you.

LadyRoughDiamond · 31/12/2023 15:08

Sorry, for the pedantic I mean the new month. That said, I do look forward to the coming signs of spring. Thank you for your lovely reply @WashItTomorrow

Ohnotyoutoo · 31/12/2023 15:11

We take ours down on the twelfth night

DrCoconut · 31/12/2023 15:12

Personally it is too early. We're only halfway through the school holidays and its Christmas for us until 12th night. Up to others what they do though.

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 31/12/2023 15:14

I usually do it tomorrow but I took DD to meet a friend for a walk this morning and DH had taken it down. I'm quite pleased really. Will be nice to start new year with it cleared away

Bax765 · 31/12/2023 15:14

We'll leave ours up until weekend of 6/7 Jan!

witte · 31/12/2023 15:23

Can't take them down until 12th night. My family wouldn't ever forgive me Grin

legosnowqueen · 31/12/2023 15:48

Ours will stay up until 5 January as is being collected for recycling on 6 January. I love the lights & baubles & happily it's barely shed this year!

Bloom15 · 31/12/2023 16:04

Thanks @Delphinepony - that makes sense!

PurBal · 31/12/2023 16:07

Tree stays up until Epiphany. Smaller decorations may stay up until Candlemas, the crib usually does. It’s not that long if you wait to put it up in Advent. We did ours about 10 days before Christmas and it felt too early.

Testina · 31/12/2023 16:08

Toomuchstuffeverywhere · 31/12/2023 12:00

Ahh ok so it seems def not too early? Is it bad luck or anything?

Yes, it’s bad luck to take it down before 12th night.
Will that stop you?

I keep it up until then because I like the tradition though - not because I think that bad luck can ever come about because of the day you take a tree down 🤣

cariadlet · 31/12/2023 16:16

Mine went up about a week before Christmas and came down on the 28th.

My dd went back to her uni town and I started to de-Christmas the house pretty much as soon as she left for the train station.

Professionalmess · 31/12/2023 16:29

Comes down on the 5th or 6th. Depending on when I'm off work. Definitely not sooner this year as was late putting it so feel I need to appreciate my effort a bit longer.

PuppyMonkey · 31/12/2023 16:40

Ours came down yesterday - don’t give a monkeys about sodding epiphany and Twelfth Night Grin. I find the continued twinkly lights a little silly and slightly depressing after Christmas Day is done and dusted tbh. I usually wait and take them down on New Year’s Day but thought fuck it, they’re annoying me.

Lovely to have a nice ordered looking home again.

Ihateslugs · 31/12/2023 17:03

I usually take mine down on New Years Day so my house is back to normal before I go back to work - still do that even though I am now retired.

But I’m not sure that is going to happen aa I have been really ill with Covid since Boxing Day and the house is a tip because I’ve not been up to doing anything. I had visitors for two weeks around Christmas and things are still a bit mixed up after having a new kitchen fitted in November - still a few boxes to sort out and a fridge/ kitchen chairs to get rid of.

I am a bit overwhelmed when I look around the house so am going to make a start one area at a time and try to pace myself. Although in reality I want to just stay in bed and forget about the mess!

fromhellsheartistabatthee · 31/12/2023 17:17

Up on 15 December, down on 27th and probably won't bother next year.

MyDogsPaws · 31/12/2023 17:22

Hate having mine up after new year so took them down today. I normally do it 29th/30th. I really like to go into the new year with Christmas behind me as I find it quite a stressful and unenjoyable time of year, I dead it for months in the run up and as soon as the decs are down I feel like I can relax and start looking forward to the future again!

Parker231 · 31/12/2023 17:26

Christmas finished on 26 December. No Boxing Day here so it was back to work. Don’t want decorations hanging around when we’re out of the house all day with no time to put them away.

louderthan · 31/12/2023 17:32

Will get rid of mine on Tuesday, I like having the lights on NYE and we have guests tomorrow so it'll be nice but would feel very odd to go back to work with it still out!

BashfulClam · 31/12/2023 17:36

I like 12th night but will probably take them down on the 2nd. I like the lights on for the New year. Hogmanay cleaning is a pain with them up though.

mondaytosunday · 31/12/2023 17:49

I think today/tomorrow ok - I think the New Year marks a change and I'm a bit sick of it by then. But definitely when the kids go back to school (for us January 3)!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

PhoenixReincarnated · 31/12/2023 18:05

We usually have a real tree so it and other decorations go up the second week/mid December and come down 5th/6th January. My mum died the end of November and the funeral was mid December so I couldn't even think about Christmas in that time. We also have a kitten who is into everything so I bought a cheap tree from Argos the following weekend and that and a couple of other decorations were put up during the week before Christmas. I took them down today because the clutter was getting on my nerves and I can't be bothered with them this year even though I usually enjoy having the tree and the lights up at new year.

gocompare · 31/12/2023 19:39

Wanted to do it today but have not had time. It's prob coming down tomorrow or god know s when I will get a chance

Kalevala · 31/12/2023 19:40

Toomuchstuffeverywhere · 31/12/2023 12:05

@SquirmOfEels Gosh, would people really keep it up another week? We’re back to work/school Tuesday & Wednesday, seems bit weird to still have decorations etc
I feel a bit sad taking it all down, but also it’s such a mess and stuff just everywhere it’s annoying me now 🙈😂

Why is it strange when you.go back when most people have them up before they finish work. Surely it's the same?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.