POLL
You are being unreasonable
22%
You are NOT being unreasonable
78%
ellieboolou · 18/10/2022 22:10

🙄 ok

TimeFlysWhenYoureHavingRum · 18/10/2022 22:12

Yep. Everything that is happening now from price rises on fruit and veg to collapsing pension funds has been brewing since 2016. Its becoming very hard to deny now.

user1499128287 · 18/10/2022 22:13

Tired old nonsense again....

Cosmos123 · 18/10/2022 22:15

No no it was covid and the war honest....
NOT BREXIT
Oven ready my ass

user1499128287 · 18/10/2022 22:17

Whatever damage Brexit did or didn't do has largely been lost in the thick smog of Covid and the war, yes.

Kendodd · 18/10/2022 22:26

Yes, well done Leave voters.
We're now free to dump shit in the sea and spray bee killing chemicals on the land. We've also reduced the size of our economy from 90% of Germany's to under 70%.
Go us!

FloorWipes · 18/10/2022 22:32

So whilst Brexit hasn’t helped matters to say the least, I see blaming everything on Brexit as engaged in a form of denialism which offers them some psychological protection. If you blame it all on Brexit then you don’t need to confront the reality of how bad of a shape the whole world is in. Covid, the war AND Brexit are all symptoms of a much much wider problem which I would potentially characterise as “collapse”.

echt · 18/10/2022 22:37

I don't think everything is being blamed on Brexit, it's just the silence on this score on the part of the government. Everything but everything else is to blame.Hmm

The issue needs to be regularly raised. And the stupid fuckers who voted for it reminded.

Tired old nonsense my arse. Straight out of the Boris Johnson playlist: move along, nothing to see here.

lannistunut · 18/10/2022 22:38

Brexit was a bad idea and it has been badly done.

Kendodd · 18/10/2022 22:58

If anyone interested, theres a Rejoin march this Saturday in London.

Fawful · 18/10/2022 22:58

user1499128287 · 18/10/2022 22:17

Whatever damage Brexit did or didn't do has largely been lost in the thick smog of Covid and the war, yes.

We wouldn't have had Johnson or Truss as PMs without the fuck up that was post-Brexit British politics, though. MPs wouldn't have let Johnson reach the final round in the Tory leadership contests as they all knew he is devoid of moral fibre and work ethics. Which catastrophically paved the way for Truss.
We are going to be paying for that Trussian "fiscal event" for a very long time, with another round of austerity that did not have to happen. And of course "growth" (since that is what will help get us out the mess, apparently) definitely is not helped by being out the Customs union.
So yes, I also see our particular mess as a pretty direct result of Brexit.

StarfishBrain · 18/10/2022 23:01

echt · 18/10/2022 22:37

I don't think everything is being blamed on Brexit, it's just the silence on this score on the part of the government. Everything but everything else is to blame.Hmm

The issue needs to be regularly raised. And the stupid fuckers who voted for it reminded.

Tired old nonsense my arse. Straight out of the Boris Johnson playlist: move along, nothing to see here.

Exactly. 5% down on GDP, importing inflation because the balance of payments deficit has quadrupled due to self-imposed trade barriers. The devaluation of GDP that occurred as a direct result and has increased inflation way above where it would have been. All directly attributable to Brexit, all needlessly self-inflicted and all possible for a sensible Government to fix. But noooo... let's just pretend because there are other external factors we can't fix also causing problems, that this one which we can do something about doesn't exist.

Dumb is an understatement.

BalmyBalmes · 18/10/2022 23:02

We were warned there would be food and labour shortages with Brexit.
We have both now.

My local supermarket seems to have real supply chain issues snd every time I'm in there there's several empty shelves which we never had before

StarfishBrain · 18/10/2022 23:06

I do wonder what our grandchildren will learn about Brexit in their history lessons. I mean, what the hell did people expect to happen?! It has to be one of the most stupid things a democratic country has ever decided to do. Utterly idiotic in every way. The effects will still be felt even then if somebody in Government doesn't at least find a braincell and rejoin the single market. I can't imagine the grandchildren will be any more impressed than young adults today.

PickAChew · 18/10/2022 23:07

It's been (and still is) a perfect storm.

Liebig · 18/10/2022 23:09

Riots in Paris and Germany lost half a dozen 100+ year old companies in the last 24 hours.

But it’s Brexit lol

HeadacheEarthquake · 18/10/2022 23:10

The proof is in the pudding and all that

I'm not glad to feel vindicated; I had hoped to be wrong and feeling silly in those sunlit uplands.

Eeyoresbreakfast707 · 18/10/2022 23:11

Yep, ”taking back control” went well didn’t it?

Liebig · 18/10/2022 23:12

StarfishBrain · 18/10/2022 23:01

Exactly. 5% down on GDP, importing inflation because the balance of payments deficit has quadrupled due to self-imposed trade barriers. The devaluation of GDP that occurred as a direct result and has increased inflation way above where it would have been. All directly attributable to Brexit, all needlessly self-inflicted and all possible for a sensible Government to fix. But noooo... let's just pretend because there are other external factors we can't fix also causing problems, that this one which we can do something about doesn't exist.

Dumb is an understatement.

Ask Europe how the euro is doing these days.

Or the dozens of LNG tankers needed to keep the lights on that can’t even offload their cargo due to no regasification capacity left.

Or their double digit inflation.

Or the multiple strikes and industry reductions of output due to lack of raw materials and energy.

HeadacheEarthquake · 18/10/2022 23:13

Liebig · 18/10/2022 23:12

Ask Europe how the euro is doing these days.

Or the dozens of LNG tankers needed to keep the lights on that can’t even offload their cargo due to no regasification capacity left.

Or their double digit inflation.

Or the multiple strikes and industry reductions of output due to lack of raw materials and energy.

That makes our situation better how?

Fawful · 18/10/2022 23:15

Which one country is this, @Liebig? Or is it a mash-up of 'Europe'?

Liebig · 18/10/2022 23:17

HeadacheEarthquake · 18/10/2022 23:13

That makes our situation better how?

It doesn’t?

Sorry, I thought “things are shit, it’s Brexit” was the theme. If only we stayed in the trading and political union that decided to do all the worst decisions possible and suicide itself this year.

The amount of delusion in this country about the EU being some amazing utopia of progress and political trailblazing is incredible.

Liebig · 18/10/2022 23:18

Fawful · 18/10/2022 23:15

Which one country is this, @Liebig? Or is it a mash-up of 'Europe'?

Eurozone. You know, the thing we apparently have to get with so we don’t have inflation and energy shortages…

Oh, wait.

Foronenightonly01 · 18/10/2022 23:18

If you don’t realise or accept that this entire shit storm started with Brexit (& being dumped with a govt that is the epitome of self serving, more than any before) then you need to get your head out the sand (polite version). Remoaners were right…..it’s alright though, just keep telling yourselves it’s ok and keep voting in the lying tossers, it’s serving those of use who aren’t multi millionaires soooooo well🤔🤦🏼‍♀️

ShandaLear · 18/10/2022 23:19

I wish I’d voted for chaos with Ed Milliband. Heck, I’d take chaos with The Steve Miller Band now. Anything but this shower of twats.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.