Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

School Trip to Morocco

410 replies

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:00

My DDs secondary school have just announced they will be doing a school trip in the next school year to Morocco for my daughters year.

It’s normally Iceland but they have changed it to Morocco this time.

A couple of other mums have said they won’t be sending their kids as they don’t think it’s safe to send their teen girls there.

Iv never been personally but I thought it was a safe country overall.

However, now I’m doubting myself …. I was going to agree to her going even though i think it’s steep as it’s over £1,000.

So…

YABU - It’s safe, don’t worry about it.
YANBU - I would never send my teen child there on a school trip.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1291 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
Itisbetter · 17/10/2022 20:19

There is geography closer to home where getting separated from your friends is less likely to lead to unwanted possibly scary attention.

PurpleWisteria1 · 17/10/2022 20:19

CloseToHeaven · 17/10/2022 20:15

They’re not too hot on looking out for female interests anymore I’m afraid.

Oh give over ffs. Take a day off.

swimmingwithturtles · 17/10/2022 20:19

Personally I wouldn’t, I’ve been to several Muslim countries and they are very different culturally. Women are not treated as equals to men, and often far less. You only need to see the news on Iran right now to see that. I truly hope the women win their fight for freedom but I would not be sending my daughter to any Muslim country

Screwcorona · 17/10/2022 20:19

I've been loads personally and taken a group of teenagers for a sports competition and whilst they were all safe, many got ill. The hygiene standards are low.

The price is insane. Me and husband went all inclusive 4* for a week including flights for £650 (in total for both of us)

Also been for a 10 week trip in hostels there which was a couple hundred each.

saraclara · 17/10/2022 20:20

Noviembre · 17/10/2022 19:59

Agree with the others that you should just take the kids to Iceland. Sounds like the teachers have decided they want some sun.

Yep. Working 24 hours a day for five days, with a massive responsibility is all about the sun. Oh, and people have already moaned that they don't have to pay to work every minute of the day for five days. Because it's just a holiday for the teachers, right?

Revolvingwhore · 17/10/2022 20:20

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:19

Well, I've been a teacher for 40 years 🎉
I am well aware of our contractual obligations. It's a huge burden, but can be rewarding. Let's not make out it's too much of a jolly, shall we.

It's a free holiday. PE staff and their skiing jaunts are even worse.

dontyouwishyourgirlfriendwas · 17/10/2022 20:21

Absolutely no way would I send a young female teen to Morocco, especially not at the cost of £1k. I would worry about her being harassed or getting sick from drinking tap water to be honest.

StarmanBobby · 17/10/2022 20:21

It’s a fascinating country, lovely people.
we’ve been with our kids and never felt unsafe. I would imagine that a school trip will be very well managed and chaperoned and safe.

QuebecBagnet · 17/10/2022 20:21

While I’d consider taking dd to Morocco and have taken her to similar countries I’d be worried about going to such a country where there is a higher chance of unwanted attention, etc where the adult to child ratio will be less than ideal.

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:21

Revolvingwhore · 17/10/2022 20:20

It's a free holiday. PE staff and their skiing jaunts are even worse.

Go for it. You obviously know more than me about school trips.

LookingAtYou · 17/10/2022 20:21

Katapolts · 17/10/2022 20:15

I went to Marrakech aged 20 and got harassed/catcalled loads! I wouldn't send a teenage daughter there without me.

This.

No chance would I send a teen on a school trip to Morocco when you just can't be 100% sure the teachers would adequately supervise them in a potentially dangerous place.

Go as a family if you think it's worth a visit. School trips should be limited to outward bound type places imo where they have instructors trained in the safety and welfare of kids.

Whitewolf2 · 17/10/2022 20:21

I felt unsafe in Marrakesh when I visited with friends, culturally it’s very different to Iceland! Their views of women are not what I would want my teenage daughter experiencing. It’s also not the cleanest, I had horrific food poisoning, surely another reason to not run a school trip there!

Revolvingwhore · 17/10/2022 20:22

saraclara · 17/10/2022 20:20

Yep. Working 24 hours a day for five days, with a massive responsibility is all about the sun. Oh, and people have already moaned that they don't have to pay to work every minute of the day for five days. Because it's just a holiday for the teachers, right?

Let's be open about it - it is a free holiday. I've been on residential and yes it's hard work but it's a free holiday to a place many people could never afford to visit. Drop the martyr bollocks.

Wereongunoil · 17/10/2022 20:22

@SomethingNastyInTheBallPool it was a sports leadership trip. Organised by the UK sports council.
There were 6 boys (girls not allowed to go) from the sixth form who went.

They went to Erbil to help train Iraqi students to be able to help deliver sports in their schools.

Students from all over Iraq attended.
He came home very humbled by the experiences of some of the people he met

Bunnycat101 · 17/10/2022 20:23

It’s a brave choice for a school trip. I was massively hassled when I went to Morocco and not sure that I’d be keen on teenage girls going as a group. I also got the worst food poisoning I’ve ever had. But Atlas Mountains were amazing and I had a good time despite the food poisoning so I’d be torn and would want quite a lot of questions answering before agreeing to it.

PurpleWisteria1 · 17/10/2022 20:23

viques · 17/10/2022 19:52

The teachers pay nothing! Oi caramba! Oh and while you are frothing at the mouth and worrying about that one you might want to consider that the teachers

a) won’t be getting TOIL
b) won’t be paid overtime
c) will be on duty for 24 hours x 5 for the duration of the trip
d) won’t sleep well for the entire length of the trip
e) will be in loco parentis to about 30 teenagers who will be unpredictable, hormonal , homesick and over excited, liable to lose things, fall out with their best friends/ throw up/ fall over inanimate objects/ spend their money on unsuitable items eg flick knives .
f) will have spent hours and HOURS and HOURS planning the trip, organising travel arrangements, checking insurance, checking passports, checking any health issues or allergies, writing h and s breakdowns, being kind to parents who haven’t read your carefully worded handouts.
g) will be missing out on time with their own families
h) will probably have been expected to leave work for their other year groups to do with supply teachers, who may or may not have done it properly/ marked it/ lost resources/ buggered up the whiteboard.

but hey, it’s a free holiday isn’t it, lucky buggers.

Top right!
Teachers should he paid triple to go on these trips or given a huge bonus as it is!
You think teachers are enjoying a lovely holiday whilst taking Y8’s (or any kids) abroad.
Bloody hell how narrow minded are you. It’s an extremely challenging and stressful part of the very underpaid and under valued job. You are literally on alert 24/7!

Thisgroupneverceasestoamazeme · 17/10/2022 20:23

I think it sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Morocco is one of my favourite places I’ve ever visited. I can’t imagine the school haven’t risk assessed it to death. Feels very narrow minded and a bit ‘othering’ to assume it won’t be safe. What’s that about? Is it because it’s a Muslim country?

Joystir59 · 17/10/2022 20:23

£1k for a five day trip? Ridiculous.

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 17/10/2022 20:23

I was in Marrakesh last week having been there 8 years ago: it’s a mad/bizarre/amazing place and ya so different in the Medina to anywhere else I’ve ever been/

it’s safe though: so so safe: it’s a Muslim country, people don’t drink, crime is rare. I didn’t see one drunk person the whole time I was there. I’d much rather my teen go there than say The Algarve ( we were all there in the summer) with tribes of pissed people and drama

MangosteenSoda · 17/10/2022 20:24

I wouldn’t be comfortable with this for a year 8 trip. I’d happily take my child (yr 8 or younger) to Morocco myself but feel a school trip brings a different risk assessment.

QuebecBagnet · 17/10/2022 20:24

And the foreign office advice about travelling there would also put me off it. And I say that as someone who has happily hitchhiked across African countries having a civil war so I’m not totally risk averse

School Trip to Morocco
Lunde · 17/10/2022 20:24

Wereongunoil · 17/10/2022 19:33

My son went on a school trip to Iraq 🤷🏻

My DD went on a school trip to Israel and the Palestinian Authority

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

PurpleWisteria1 · 17/10/2022 20:25

We have just been quoted 3.5k for a 3 week trip to a far flung place for my y8DD for 2024. State school.
Its 3 weeks at least I guess but this is very common in schools now!

Revolvingwhore · 17/10/2022 20:26

PurpleWisteria1 · 17/10/2022 20:23

Top right!
Teachers should he paid triple to go on these trips or given a huge bonus as it is!
You think teachers are enjoying a lovely holiday whilst taking Y8’s (or any kids) abroad.
Bloody hell how narrow minded are you. It’s an extremely challenging and stressful part of the very underpaid and under valued job. You are literally on alert 24/7!

Are they struggling to find the staff, do you think?

Magicpaintbrush · 17/10/2022 20:26

I went on a school trip (sixth form) to Morocco (circa 1998) and one of the girls in the group was sexually assaulted. We were doing a trek in the atlas mountains with mules and their handlers (men), and she was on a mule and got led further ahead away from the rest of the group and he sexually assaulted her. You have to have your wits about you out there, especially as a female.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.