Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

School Trip to Morocco

410 replies

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:00

My DDs secondary school have just announced they will be doing a school trip in the next school year to Morocco for my daughters year.

It’s normally Iceland but they have changed it to Morocco this time.

A couple of other mums have said they won’t be sending their kids as they don’t think it’s safe to send their teen girls there.

Iv never been personally but I thought it was a safe country overall.

However, now I’m doubting myself …. I was going to agree to her going even though i think it’s steep as it’s over £1,000.

So…

YABU - It’s safe, don’t worry about it.
YANBU - I would never send my teen child there on a school trip.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1291 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
JudgeJ · 17/10/2022 20:00

feellikeanalien · 17/10/2022 19:30

I went to Morocco in the 90s with my ex-H for a day trip from Gibraltar. It totally put me off ever going again. We were constantly hassled and it felt very unsafe (various dodgy people at the port offering to take us for a trip into the mountains!!) I would never send my teenage daughter there.

If you did the inevitable trip from Gib, not still the old Mons Calpe I assume, then you'll probably have just been round Tangiers, a whizz round on a bus, a seedy lunch with a belly dancing caberet and a walk round a souk. You'll have been hassled to death because they know when the day trippers are coming in. We lived in Gib for years, never did the one day tourist trip.

Tigerbus · 17/10/2022 20:01

It's a trip that girl guides international do all the time. I think you should contact your regional girl guide and ask them questions.

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:01

Noviembre · 17/10/2022 19:59

Agree with the others that you should just take the kids to Iceland. Sounds like the teachers have decided they want some sun.

Really? Why not go to Menorca during the holiday if you want sunshine rather than have massive responsibilities?

purplerain13 · 17/10/2022 20:03

Been there. They will possibly be mugged, groped and definitely cat called.

Rewis · 17/10/2022 20:05

Wtf happened to school trips to the zoo, amusement Park, major domestic city or a cheap trip with ryanair.

Bananamaman · 17/10/2022 20:05

I love Morocco- a stunningly beautiful and really fascinating country. I’ve been to all the places on this trip and would recommend them all (especially sleeping in the desert- a pp was saying it’s expensive for camping but it’s really not equivalent to a camp site!)

I do agree it’s expensive.

Kimya · 17/10/2022 20:06

They're going on an organised trip, I wouldn't consider it unsafe. However Marrakesh is a shithole.

MsTSwift · 17/10/2022 20:06

It’s quite a bold endeavour for the staff. There was a tragic accidental death of a teen on a school trip at a linked school in a European country. I am usually quite relaxed but this trip would worry me.

JudgeJ · 17/10/2022 20:07

Georgyporky · 17/10/2022 19:34

I've been to Marrakech.
I don't think safety is the problem, but the cost is extortionate.

You do realise the teachers pay nothing?
Their costs are added onto the cost to the pupils.

This old chestnut about teachers' places, the companies organising these trips factor in the cost of teacher's places, would you rather your children were not well supervised? Remember, they have to be better than parents, parents have accidents, teachers are careless!

Itsnotallblackandwhite · 17/10/2022 20:09

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:08

The schools been asked why Morocco but haven’t replied yet.

Itinerary is along the lines of this..

2 nights in Marrakesh
2 nights in Ourzazate
1 night in a camping in the desert with camel rides etc

Years ago a friend of mine went to Morocco with her DP and they did a trip to the desert with camels and sleeping under the stars with their lovely guide. What wasn't so lovely was the guide sexually assaulting her in the middle of the night while her DP was asleep. She was too shocked and terrified to say anything to her DP until they were back in their hotel.

Obviously an anecdote, I know couples who have visited without any problems, but I really wouldn't want my teenage DD going there without me.

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:09

MsTSwift · 17/10/2022 20:06

It’s quite a bold endeavour for the staff. There was a tragic accidental death of a teen on a school trip at a linked school in a European country. I am usually quite relaxed but this trip would worry me.

Bold indeed. You'd have to triple my salary. I had a bad enough time in Berlin with yr12s! No way.

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:10

Spot on, @viques
Same old, same old. Some people have no idea.

Carrotzen · 17/10/2022 20:11

I went on a school trip to Morcoo when I was about 16. I didn't feel particularly unsafe, I think some men called us barbie and Hannah Montana and that was about it, the men generally left us alone. The same year we went to Paris and I found that worse.

We did a similar trip to your DD with an extra trek in the Atlas mountains (wonder if its the same company?). It was with a company and we had local and British guides, and we joined with some berbers in the Atlas mountains who cooked our food amd camped with us. It was absolutely amazing trip. We had preparation sessions before on the culture and before we went out in the souks/market the local guides talked us through what to do and how to stay safe. If you are going to go somewhere like Morocco I definitely feel this was the safest way to do it

Your dd is obviously younger than I was, and so it would very much depend on the level of supervision. I wouldn't be comfortable with her wandering around the souks alone at that age, but if its a similar set up to mine and you can afford it I would go for it.

Realityloom · 17/10/2022 20:11

I think Iceland would of been better. Is it a state school OP? £1000 for a 5 day trip? No way do your own Georgraphy trip.

MsTSwift · 17/10/2022 20:12

Also good luck with getting my 14 year old Dd to dress modestly in the heat. Actually this whole plan is giving me the shivers. Hate to say it but if I had a lad I might be more ok with it.

lannistunut · 17/10/2022 20:12

The travel advice from the FCO is not soothing.

I would not trust strangers to supervise my teen there, personally, even though they are trained teachers.

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:12

MrsMinted · 17/10/2022 19:34

Is it a state school? That’s insanely expensive. Yanbu, I just think overall I wouldn’t even consider signing up until the school had set out a very detailed risk assessment and explanation.

Considering my risk assessment for a day trip to an historical site took me hours and several pages, I do not envy these teachers.
Or did you think there's no risk assessment?!

Itisbetter · 17/10/2022 20:15

Hate to say it but if I had a lad I might be more ok with it.. I think you’ve lived a very sheltered life.

CloseToHeaven · 17/10/2022 20:15

Tigerbus · 17/10/2022 20:01

It's a trip that girl guides international do all the time. I think you should contact your regional girl guide and ask them questions.

They’re not too hot on looking out for female interests anymore I’m afraid.

Katapolts · 17/10/2022 20:15

I went to Marrakech aged 20 and got harassed/catcalled loads! I wouldn't send a teenage daughter there without me.

Oriunda · 17/10/2022 20:15

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:08

The schools been asked why Morocco but haven’t replied yet.

Itinerary is along the lines of this..

2 nights in Marrakesh
2 nights in Ourzazate
1 night in a camping in the desert with camel rides etc

I have done this exact trip (with my husband); it was a great experience. That said, it was during Ramadan so we had to be careful about eating etc. There will be an additional element of cautiousness for teen girls in their dress, etc.

Depending on time of year I think it would be a fascinating experience for them.

Revolvingwhore · 17/10/2022 20:16

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:01

Really? Why not go to Menorca during the holiday if you want sunshine rather than have massive responsibilities?

They're organising it so they clearly want to go! I've been teaching 20 years and lots of colleagues love to pull this 'expensive foreign holiday' shit. There's no shortage of teachers wanting to do it, so let's not make out its too much of a burden shall we. They're not contractually obliged.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

saraclara · 17/10/2022 20:16

Hbh17 · 17/10/2022 19:20

Sounds fantastic. Morocco is a lovely country, and the group will be well supervised.
Don't teach her to fear new places & things just because some people are overly cautious.
If you can afford it, then it would be an amazing opportunity for your daughter - she should definitely go.

That. I can't imagine that the school is just going to let them loose in the Medina. They'll have a tour guide.

My DD's geography trip was to Russia, btw.

Jxtina86 · 17/10/2022 20:18

I went to an all girls school and post GCSEs, went on a trip to Morroco. We went to Marakesh for 2 nights and then spent the majority at a kasbah up in the mountains as we were doing some work in the village and then doing a hike. Marakesh was an experience to say the least! I think at the time we mostly all laughed it off but looking back it was very uncomfortable and inappropriate on many levels. We only had one male chaperone - he was the husband of the lead teacher and a nurse so there for medical reasons.

This was mid 2000s. It was a once in the life time experience to hike in the Atlas mountains and the staff at the Kasbah and the Berbers who were our guides were lovely and respectful (and used to taking teens on the route) but the city aspect did sully it. That said it had been a trip run for many years so the staff were knowledgeable of the area and were very watchful for any trouble. The main issue parents had was a month out from the trip there was a terrorist attack in Casablanca and I remember a meeting with all parents and students about what the teachers were going to do to keep us safe from terrorists (the answer was its out of our control but we'll refund if you don't want to go - no one pulled out 🤷🏼‍♀️)

Maireas · 17/10/2022 20:19

Revolvingwhore · 17/10/2022 20:16

They're organising it so they clearly want to go! I've been teaching 20 years and lots of colleagues love to pull this 'expensive foreign holiday' shit. There's no shortage of teachers wanting to do it, so let's not make out its too much of a burden shall we. They're not contractually obliged.

Well, I've been a teacher for 40 years 🎉
I am well aware of our contractual obligations. It's a huge burden, but can be rewarding. Let's not make out it's too much of a jolly, shall we.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.