Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

School Trip to Morocco

410 replies

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:00

My DDs secondary school have just announced they will be doing a school trip in the next school year to Morocco for my daughters year.

It’s normally Iceland but they have changed it to Morocco this time.

A couple of other mums have said they won’t be sending their kids as they don’t think it’s safe to send their teen girls there.

Iv never been personally but I thought it was a safe country overall.

However, now I’m doubting myself …. I was going to agree to her going even though i think it’s steep as it’s over £1,000.

So…

YABU - It’s safe, don’t worry about it.
YANBU - I would never send my teen child there on a school trip.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1291 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
RedHelenB · 17/10/2022 19:32

Sounds great. If you can afford it I'd let her go

FindingMyself1999 · 17/10/2022 19:32

I went to Marrakesh in 2018 with a group of other women. It was generally ok but a few tips: the men will stare, also women are still second class, when we were in the main souks I guy wasn’t happy when I stood up for my SIL as he was sure she would buy something from him. We made a taxi driver friend via the hotel and just used him all the time.

because the teachers are with them they prob won’t get caught out like we did (we wanted a specific roof top bar he obvs just to us to his mate’s bar 😂). Other than that amazing history and so much to see and do!

Wereongunoil · 17/10/2022 19:33

My son went on a school trip to Iraq 🤷🏻

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:33

Itloggedmeoutagain · 17/10/2022 19:31

£1000 for five nights!
Personally I couldn't justify that

It is a lot of money! Which is why they are telling us now I guess so we have over a year to make payments or pay.

OP posts:
Georgyporky · 17/10/2022 19:34

I've been to Marrakech.
I don't think safety is the problem, but the cost is extortionate.

You do realise the teachers pay nothing?
Their costs are added onto the cost to the pupils.

MrsMinted · 17/10/2022 19:34

Is it a state school? That’s insanely expensive. Yanbu, I just think overall I wouldn’t even consider signing up until the school had set out a very detailed risk assessment and explanation.

Revolvingwhore · 17/10/2022 19:35

TheHoover · 17/10/2022 19:27

Morocco is a wonderful choice for a school trip.

No school should be suggesting it. As someone who used to hide school trip letters no matter how small the cost, I still hate to see this.

Darbs76 · 17/10/2022 19:36

Well I understand exactly what they mean

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:36

MrsMinted · 17/10/2022 19:34

Is it a state school? That’s insanely expensive. Yanbu, I just think overall I wouldn’t even consider signing up until the school had set out a very detailed risk assessment and explanation.

Yes it’s a state school.

OP posts:
Leading · 17/10/2022 19:36

No way on this planet.

ClocksGoingBackwards · 17/10/2022 19:36

I’d want to know that they would be with adults when they were out, not just supervised from a distance, but otherwise I’d be delighted that they had the opportunity to go somewhere so different.

LynetteScavo · 17/10/2022 19:37

Hmmm....I would want to know how much independence they'd have. Y10 wandering around with no adult, I wouldn't be keen. Y8 constantly with an adult I'd be happier. £1000 sounds a lot for 5 nights. I bet the 2 of you could go for the same price. But camping in the desert with friends does sound like an amazing experience for a teen!

Darbs76 · 17/10/2022 19:37

Our school sent a letter the other day for a trip to Tokyo, nearly 3k. Very inclusive!

MsTSwift · 17/10/2022 19:37

Teenage girls and North Africa is not a great combination. But I travelled to Cairo in my early twenties with a female friend. Misogynistic shithole.

Cryingbutstilltrying · 17/10/2022 19:39

Not a chance in hell would I let my y8 dd go on that trip. But we live in a fairly rural area and she’s not at all street smart, likes to daydream and would almost certainly get lost. It’s also insane money!
Luckily our y8 trip is to Wales.

MsTSwift · 17/10/2022 19:40

I think it’s a fair price for what it is. It’s not the price that would put me off. But my 14 year old is blonde and tall with legs up to her armpits I wouldn’t want her enduring a fraction of what I did in Cairo.

Choconut · 17/10/2022 19:40

We went to Morocco just before covid and I was really shocked at how little hassle there was in the souks or the main square. Having been to Egypt which I thought was hell in comparison we literally had no bother at all, there must have been a real crackdown at some point IMO as the women who do henna that are well known for scams/hassling were just sat on stools waiting for people to come to them. Even the guy with the monkey wasn't intimidating people.

I loved Marrakech and would go back, the palace and tombs are stunning. We stayed in a beautiful riad too and had a great time, I felt very safe and would happily have wondered around on my own. We went out to the desert and up to the Atlas mountains too and it was all quite amazing.

Just tell dd not to eat in the KFC on the main square (Jemaa el-Fna) as I had eaten all the wonderful local food for a week with no problems, then ate there and was really sick the following day. Looked it up after and the reviews were terrible.

Get her to dress in loose flowing clothes that cover her and she'll be treated with a lot more respect.

Morocco might have been chosen over Iceland due to cost, Iceland is an extremely expensive location, Morocco relatively cheap.

aModernClassic · 17/10/2022 19:40

It's a no from me. There was a similar trip a few years ago by a school not too far from me. Let's just say, the poor female teacher will be traumatised for the rest of her live. It's but safe.

GrannyAchingsShepherdsHut · 17/10/2022 19:40

I've been to North Africa, but not Morocco. I loved every minute of it but it was very different, and even though I tried very hard I still made a couple of fuck ups, culturally. I think the fact French is spoken makes it seem like it's familiar, when it's really not.

I would be worried, a group of school kids may very well be inappropriate in a foreign culture without realising it. They may even get in serious trouble. You can tell teens till you're blue in the face but they don't listen/forget/think they know better.

With the best will in the world a school trip isn't going to be able to monitor what they're doing like a family going away would be able to.

I'm thinking about their dress - could they all be relied on to dress in a way that won't cause a reaction? Arms and legs always covered even though it's hot?

How about how they interact? Is it a mixed sex school? Will the boys and girls inadvertently do something considered scandalous just by behaving how they normally would? I'm thinking a boy putting his arm round a girl, or silly playing / tickling / touching type behaviour that was certainly common when I was that age.

Are any of the kids gay? That's illegal. Are any of them in a relationship - either gay or straight? That could cause a problem if there's and kind of PDA.

Might they swear? Might they feel that the cultural rules above are wrong, and should be challenged? Teens have a tendency to act first and think later - not a great combination.

I found something as simple as making eye contact with male shopkeepers (which I would do without even realising) invited them to be very intense, almost aggressive in trying to get me to buy something. Sometimes they physically grabbed my arm and led me into the shop. A teen girl being dragged into a shop is going to be scared, and not know what to do.

By not behaving as a native female would, I found I seemed to move into a 3rd category where you're not treated as a native female would be treated. But you're also not treated with the respect a man would be. It's quite disconcerting.

Doing something that makes you seem 'not respectable' can tip into 'not respected' quite easily. Being perceived as 'not respectable', especially for girls, by the wrong person could be disastrous.

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:42

Cryingbutstilltrying · 17/10/2022 19:39

Not a chance in hell would I let my y8 dd go on that trip. But we live in a fairly rural area and she’s not at all street smart, likes to daydream and would almost certainly get lost. It’s also insane money!
Luckily our y8 trip is to Wales.

The year 7 trip is to Wales!

OP posts:
CaptainMyCaptain · 17/10/2022 19:42

It's an odd choice for a school trip but I've been twice and had no problem.

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:43

Darbs76 · 17/10/2022 19:37

Our school sent a letter the other day for a trip to Tokyo, nearly 3k. Very inclusive!

WOW!! 3k!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SomethingNastyInTheBallPool · 17/10/2022 19:45

I love Morocco now, but the first time I went, I was a teenager, and it was hellish. So. Much. Hassle. I think it’s an odd choice for a school trip.

LadyLolaRuben · 17/10/2022 19:46

Morocco is fantastic. The king is in charge and he is very forward thinking and welcomes westerners. My uncle has a place out there. It was the best holiday I've had to date. The locals are great. 1k sounds expensive but if its great accommodation its worth the price

SomethingNastyInTheBallPool · 17/10/2022 19:46

I want to hear more about @Wereongunoil ’s son’s school trip to Iraq.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.