Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

School Trip to Morocco

410 replies

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:00

My DDs secondary school have just announced they will be doing a school trip in the next school year to Morocco for my daughters year.

It’s normally Iceland but they have changed it to Morocco this time.

A couple of other mums have said they won’t be sending their kids as they don’t think it’s safe to send their teen girls there.

Iv never been personally but I thought it was a safe country overall.

However, now I’m doubting myself …. I was going to agree to her going even though i think it’s steep as it’s over £1,000.

So…

YABU - It’s safe, don’t worry about it.
YANBU - I would never send my teen child there on a school trip.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1291 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
Worriedschoolmum · 18/10/2022 09:48

one local school is arranging a trip to CostaRica at a cost of £3.5k!! Thank god my child doesn’t go there!

CellarBellaatemycoal · 18/10/2022 09:57

To counter, I think even though lots of us on this thread have suggested that it’s not a trip we would allow our children to go on, it is a fact that there are LOTS of western tourist agencies everywhere in Morocco , with super experienced tour guides that have organised these trips safely thousands of times. The trips to the Atlas in particular , are very popular and I have known lots of girl guiding/ school trips there in recent years. Presumably these trips are hugely profitable for the organisers, as I’ve known plenty of trips where teens are encouraged to work in building infrastructure (building walls etc) where the cost to parents runs to several thousands. I’m certain Morocco is not short of cheap skilled labourers/ craftsmen so it’s a mystery why middle class British teenagers are needed for these tasks.
For me personally I’d worry mostly about extreme food poisoning and not being able to be with a teen who was hospitalised and may deteriorate quickly without good communication.
For anyone interested in travelling in Morocco I’d recommend Alice Morrison’s brilliant books , and her podcast about her experiences in Morocco.

MsTSwift · 18/10/2022 10:02

Love that mothers of girl teens are now being accused as the ones beIng sexist! Take it up with the vile abusive men not our fault. Must be lovely to exist in a pc woke bubble but back in the real world…

LemonDrop22 · 18/10/2022 10:23

QuebecBagnet · 17/10/2022 22:23

sure, I’ve been to Egypt and Tunisia and both countries as a single woman with a teen dd I’ve been harassed (as was Dd), chased down the street, cat called and intimidated. I know of numerous other women who have had this happen to in Morocco. Also had it happen to me as a teenager in Iraq and Afghanistan.

other countries I’ve visited such as numerous African countries, Central America, China, Thailand, Many European countries including Iceland I’ve never experienced it. There may well sometimes be male attention but not commonly touching you up in crowded places as you walk down the street attention. And if that did happen in oh, say Iceland for example it would be considered very unusual and the police would take it seriously.

and that’s before we get onto the issues of homosexuality being illegal, women seen as second class citizens or potential terrorist issues.

Exactly.

Is that poster really going to pretend different regions and countries don't have different cultures that lead to different treatment of women & public behaviour?
There's a scale, with random exceptions as there always are. As a rule cultures that give women few rights or freedom are generally those that have the worst harassment of females.

LemonDrop22 · 18/10/2022 10:26

*especially foreign females whom they see as devoid of any of the restrictions, controls and values of their culture's females.

GCAcademic · 18/10/2022 10:35

Some of the prices of school trips mentioned in this thread are shocking. £3.5k?! How can they justify running these trips? It seems so divisive and exclusionary.

Lndnmummy · 18/10/2022 10:39

I wouldn't personally. Not because its Morocco (lovely place, I have been many times) or because she is female. But I would not send my children abroad without a parent in Y8. And I would not, out of principle endorse a school activity that cost that much.

MsTSwift · 18/10/2022 10:39

They ran the £3.5k one to Costa Rica at dds school. Hardly anyone went on it teens just want to be where their mates are so they didn’t care that they couldn’t go as none of their friends were either!

fruitbrewhaha · 18/10/2022 10:53

I went to Morrocco and back packed all around the country back in 2005 with another woman, it was absolutely fine. I've been flashed at in France!

I have also been as a family in 2018 and stayed in a riad in Marrakesh and my girls had a fabulous experience.

I don't recognise the comments being made here. You can't say, I had problems in Egypt, therefore I wouldn't go to Morrocco!

£1000 though, I'm pretty sure my 2018 trip cost about that for 4 people, but then prices have gone up a lot.

luckylavender · 18/10/2022 10:57

I think it's ridiculous of the school to do this in the middle of a Cost of Living crisis

VanCleefArpels · 18/10/2022 11:21

luckylavender · 18/10/2022 10:57

I think it's ridiculous of the school to do this in the middle of a Cost of Living crisis

But not everyone is in crisis, and it’s not compulsory

Fancylike · 18/10/2022 12:06

LemonDrop22 · 18/10/2022 10:26

*especially foreign females whom they see as devoid of any of the restrictions, controls and values of their culture's females.

This too. Good luck being blonde or a redhead especially, there’s an assumption you are, to put politely, a bayieat hawaa or p*rn worker.
it’s ok to grab you as you are used to it and enjoy it. It’s a very widespread mindset.

Re. the squat toilets, I mean the ones you encounter outside the hotels, nicer restaurants, and tourist areas. No tiles or porcelain, usually just a shit filled hole in the ground, roaches and rats and pissed soaked cement or dirt floor. Try convincing a group of 13 year olds to use those on the road.

Itisbetter · 18/10/2022 12:50

+But not everyone is in crisis, and it’s not compulsory*
how very “let them eat cake” of you.

VanCleefArpels · 18/10/2022 12:52

Oh don’t be silly. Since the dawn of time there have been overly expensive school trips that have coincided with economic meltdowns. Do you really think they didn’t happen?

Fastandlupine · 18/10/2022 12:55

Fancylike, my kids have been on camping trips in the UK with squat hole toilets, is it really a reason not to let your kid go on an amazing adventure?

adriftabroad · 18/10/2022 13:09

Fastandlupine · 18/10/2022 12:55

Fancylike, my kids have been on camping trips in the UK with squat hole toilets, is it really a reason not to let your kid go on an amazing adventure?

A 13/14 year old girl, just started periods? You think squat toilets are like the ones you get in the UK or an old French Bar?

My 14 year old will not even flush anything (as has been drummed into her)

No my friend, they are not. They are overflowing with shit and unsafe with no toilet paper or soap.
In a nice restaurant or the Versace hotel in Marrakech? OBVIOUSLY NOT.

In a roadside Cafe or in a campsite OBVIOUSLY YES.

Everyone, except one PP is ignoring my point about roads. Not safe at all.

Fastandlupine · 18/10/2022 13:23

Again, 'my friend', roadside cafe toilets are the same as uk ones. And what's wrong with the roads, missed that one

Pheefifofuckthisshit · 18/10/2022 13:34

@PurpleWisteria1

"You wouldn’t send a child on an abroad school trip? What any age?
Do you have any kids? How old are they?
Round here all year 5’s go on a 2 night stay in France!
Then in many secondary schools there are opportunities for kids to go abroad every year - maybe for 1 /2 nights, maybe longer.
Not North Africa countries possibly but lots of European, USA, Singapore, Japan and even to the rain forest for conservation.
Amazing opportunities with their peers and other trusted adults who arnt you."

Yes I do have children. One is an older teen and one is a preschooler.

I am a well travelled adult (including north African countries) that went on zero holidays without a parent as a child. I survived! 🤷 For me as a child my parents simply couldn't have a afforded it. For me as a parent it's a big big NOPE.

They can do UK school trips and go abroad with me or their dad. They'll live, just like I did.

I'm in England. Have never heard of year 5 kids going abroad with school so I think it must vary regionally what schools offer in terms of residential trips. My eldest went on a year six residential school trip but it was UK not abroad.

MsTSwift · 18/10/2022 14:03

You can’t really compare Morocco to France!

ChazsBrilliantAttitude · 18/10/2022 14:18

Fastandlupine · 18/10/2022 13:23

Again, 'my friend', roadside cafe toilets are the same as uk ones. And what's wrong with the roads, missed that one

I've also posted about the massively overloaded lorries on the road from Marrakesh to Ouarzazate. One nearly tipped in front of us and when DH discussed it at a local petrol station, we were told that accidents are common. DH is Algerian and didn't come to the UK until he was in his 20's so he learnt to drive in N Africa. We visit his family most years in the last 20+ years and have driven widely in Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco. Those lorries on the winding roads to Ouarzazate was one of the few times I have I have ever seen him so worried.

CruCru · 18/10/2022 17:34

I agree with this.

I also suspect that £1k is not outrageous for this trip. The days of extremely cheap travel are behind us - my husband struggled to get flights to and from France in the February half term for much less than a grand each - and we are in a period of fairly high inflation. Whether people can afford a grand for a school trip is another question.

CruCru · 18/10/2022 17:35

PCJ1713 · 17/10/2022 22:12

Honestly the load of absolute nonsense in this thread. Yes there are differences in culture, yes there are different rules and you will need to respect those but it’s a school trip, not a trip to some kind of jihadi paradise. Morocco is a lovely country, with lots of history and culture and great food.

If I had a child that age who had the opportunity to go on such a trip, I would be sending them. It’s important to learn differences and if she doesn’t like it, at least she’s experienced something new.

Sorry, this is the comment I agreed with.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SafeMove · 18/10/2022 17:54

I just got back from Marrakech 3 weeks ago, went with my 2 female friends. I wouldn't return without a man. I have red hair and in Marrakech itself I had random men coming up trying to touch it and they generally viewed us as pieces of shit they could deride and mock - some of the male hotel staff were lovely but some were comolete mysoginistic arseholes. I am not sure the staff could manage this level of micro agressions that will be directed at the female students.

balalake · 18/10/2022 18:19

The £1k trip would be enough to say no, the experiences others have noted just add more reasons.

PolkaDotMankini · 18/10/2022 18:26

I wouldn't be happy to let my DD go, but it would come down to her choice. I think she'd be safer and have a better experience as part of a large group than on a family holiday.

Personally, I wouldn't go if you paid me. I hate the constant unwanted staring, hassling, touching and worry.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.