Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

School Trip to Morocco

410 replies

Goldsand · 17/10/2022 19:00

My DDs secondary school have just announced they will be doing a school trip in the next school year to Morocco for my daughters year.

It’s normally Iceland but they have changed it to Morocco this time.

A couple of other mums have said they won’t be sending their kids as they don’t think it’s safe to send their teen girls there.

Iv never been personally but I thought it was a safe country overall.

However, now I’m doubting myself …. I was going to agree to her going even though i think it’s steep as it’s over £1,000.

So…

YABU - It’s safe, don’t worry about it.
YANBU - I would never send my teen child there on a school trip.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1291 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
PurpleWisteria1 · 17/10/2022 20:27

Thisgroupneverceasestoamazeme · 17/10/2022 20:23

I think it sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Morocco is one of my favourite places I’ve ever visited. I can’t imagine the school haven’t risk assessed it to death. Feels very narrow minded and a bit ‘othering’ to assume it won’t be safe. What’s that about? Is it because it’s a Muslim country?

I’m guessing it’s because being gay is illegal and they very much treat women as second class citizens who if they dare not be totally covered are fair game at 12 / 13 for groping.
But yeah, how very narrow minded.

Despairingof · 17/10/2022 20:27

I’ve been to Morocco, never again, mugged at knifepoint to my throat in Rabat ( middle of the day by a major museum), sexually groped ( hand up my skirt) in Fez by a group of young boys. This is the only country I feel like this about.

Iflyaway · 17/10/2022 20:27

the news on Iran right now

Did you know that loads of Moroccon women are westernised and walk around in jeans and t-shirts? I met them. Not like in Iran then..... I salute those women demonstrating for their freedom.

MeridianB · 17/10/2022 20:28

Definitely wouldn’t be my first choice for a school trip for girls.

I went with a girlfriend and we were followed, hassled and flashed at. The worst part was feeling something strange on the back of my hand and looking down to see a penis being rubbed on me by a grinning man. 🤮

KarenOLantern · 17/10/2022 20:28

I have a handful of female friends who've been on holiday to Marrakesh, separately, and their reviews on it vary from "it was awful, we were just getting sexually harassed constantly", and "the sexual harassment was constant, but it didn't bother me that much".

Blankscreen · 17/10/2022 20:28

My ds' school is doing a cricket trip to South Africa at a cost of £2800.

I said no as feel too far away from home and just not comfortable. Everyone else seems to be going and I feel like the bad guy.

He's going on the ski trip (but some are doing both).

I think you need to just go with your gut reaction on this type of thing.

feellikeanalien · 17/10/2022 20:28

JudgeJ · 17/10/2022 20:00

If you did the inevitable trip from Gib, not still the old Mons Calpe I assume, then you'll probably have just been round Tangiers, a whizz round on a bus, a seedy lunch with a belly dancing caberet and a walk round a souk. You'll have been hassled to death because they know when the day trippers are coming in. We lived in Gib for years, never did the one day tourist trip.

Actually the day we went was the one day the boat didn't go to Tangier. We ended up in M'diq. We weren't on an organised tour which was why we got so much hassle at the port. We eventually teamed up with a Swedish guy travelling on his own who had lived there years ago and got a taxi into the town.

No belly dancing, only constant hassle to buy carpets.

I wore a long skirt and had my head and arms covered but despite being with my ex-H still got hassled.

I'm sure there are some lovely parts to Morocco but there are just so many other places in the world I would rather go. I certainly would not take a mixed sex party of Y8s there.

CanopusMind · 17/10/2022 20:30

It's an amazing country, it is safe - there's some hassle to buy things in the markets which I think is the worst, but you learn to set your boundaries and stick to it.

It's an awesome place for a geography trip and is very westernised compared to other countries that people are mentioning in this thread (FFS, it's nothing like Iran).

saraclara · 17/10/2022 20:30

Iflyaway · 17/10/2022 20:27

the news on Iran right now

Did you know that loads of Moroccon women are westernised and walk around in jeans and t-shirts? I met them. Not like in Iran then..... I salute those women demonstrating for their freedom.

Iranian women might have to wear a headscarf, but young women are super fashion conscious and skinny jeans are de rigeur there, doing with cosmetic surgery. Just about they woman had a nose job. I lost count of the number I saw with the post-op plaster on their noses.

McSleepy · 17/10/2022 20:31

I also went on a sixth form trip to Morocco in around 97/98. We had a great time until we camped in the desert and were robbed in the middle of the night. The blonde girls in our group were also massively harassed when in busy places. I’m sure it has changed in 25 years however I wouldn’t be sending a group of year 8s there.

BoardingSchoolMater · 17/10/2022 20:31

I feel sorry for the teachers who have to do this stuff. I know it's a "free trip" to somewhere interesting, but I'd personally give "interesting" a miss if it means supervising a load of Year 8s. I'd rather be at home with my own children.

I would have said no to this trip, though I'd have said no to Iceland as well due to the cost. Given an unlimited budget and a choice, I'd have said yes to Iceland and no to Morocco.

saraclara · 17/10/2022 20:31

*...every woman..."

Lovetoplan · 17/10/2022 20:32

Definitely no - risk too high and benefit not great plus cost exhorbitant for the location/travel plan. She won't mind if you say no because it is not safe.

KarenOLantern · 17/10/2022 20:33

Thisgroupneverceasestoamazeme · 17/10/2022 20:23

I think it sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Morocco is one of my favourite places I’ve ever visited. I can’t imagine the school haven’t risk assessed it to death. Feels very narrow minded and a bit ‘othering’ to assume it won’t be safe. What’s that about? Is it because it’s a Muslim country?

The amount of sexual harassment most female tourists who have been there have experienced.

Jellybean23 · 17/10/2022 20:33

I was there only one day on a cruise stop. Glad it was just the day. Pestered and hassled, no fun at all. Many people stayed on board that day. The passengers in the cabin next to us had a horrendous experience in a cafe, paid 24 euro for 2 coffees. My son went with male friends the summer before going off to uni. He was waiting to leave almost as soon as he arrived. Galloping gut rot and again, pestered when they went out.

MrsMiddleMother · 17/10/2022 20:33

No my dd wouldn't be going

Pumpkin20222 · 17/10/2022 20:34

Have worked there - fantastic country, lots of very kind people, but also significant harassment of younger women. Real need to be careful, particularly after dark.

adriftabroad · 17/10/2022 20:37

Added point, toilets are really very, very, variable and often a hole with no loo roll.

It is just a practical issuethat may distress young girls.

Divebar2021 · 17/10/2022 20:37

I can’t believe people recounting their experiences from the 90’s! The 90’s!!!!!! 25+ years ago - hardly relevant. At least take advice from people who’ve been this decade. I personally visited Marrakech around 7 years ago with my 3 year old DD. We stayed in a Riad in the old town but there are plenty of international hotels in modern parts of the city. It’s certainly culturally very different but that’s not intrinsically bad. Thailand would be a culture shock too. On one day we hired a driver and went out to some waterfalls in the Atlas Mountains, did some hiking and visited a Berber village. No one was hassled or fell Ill unlike our recent experience of a 5 star hotel in Mauritius. Why not find out what the plan is and read the Foreign office advice for travellers rather than jumping to immediate assumptions. ( I assume Iceland would have cost far more than £1000)

Thisgroupneverceasestoamazeme · 17/10/2022 20:37

@PurpleWisteria1 have you been? You sound like you’re describing a very different place to the Morocco I’ve visited. Yes technically it’s illegal to be gay but it’s not enforced and it’s considered relatively safe for LGBT travellers. I saw many many well dressed, cosmopolitan and fashionable looking women as well as many women working in different industries. You’re viewing things from a Eurocentric/western lens.

Folklore9074 · 17/10/2022 20:39

I've done a fair bit of travelling myself and wouldn't want to teach a DD to fear travel but think its a bit far and not the safest place for a school trip, I'd prefer a European destination, also £1k is FAR too much. It'd probs be a no from me.

shockthemonkey · 17/10/2022 20:39

I was abducted in broad daylight on a busy street in Casablanca. I was ten. Two guys just hauled me off, separating me from my father - two other men were holding him and going through his pockets. Both sets of men were waving knives (one knife between two, nothing excessive[. I think I was taken to encourage my father to cooperate. Anyway the two guys who had my dad, got what they were after and ran off down a side street. My father ran back the way we had come, towards the port where our cruise ship was, leaving me alone with my two guys and a clutch of very angry women telling them off. The men eventually let me go, the ladies were trying to comfort me but I was lost and couldn't understand a word, so was inconsolable. Eventually my father reappeared with two policemen in tow.

Suffice it to say, though it was a long time ago, I would not be letting my young daughter go to Morocco in such circumstances. I have been to Morocco since, with my own children, but have kept in large groups and been very careful.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

adriftabroad · 17/10/2022 20:39

With respect to a PP, I also took a 5 year old. Not a problem. But not at all the same thing.

A 5 year old gave me respect.

A lone or group of teens not so much.

ChampagneLassie · 17/10/2022 20:40

Georgyporky · 17/10/2022 19:34

I've been to Marrakech.
I don't think safety is the problem, but the cost is extortionate.

You do realise the teachers pay nothing?
Their costs are added onto the cost to the pupils.

The teachers pay nothing. WTF they're working??? Why would they pay? Of course their costs need to be covered by the pupils. How else would school trips ever happen. Think how much extra work and responsibilities it is and yet I assume parents are only paying their costs rather than any thing for their time.

Thisgroupneverceasestoamazeme · 17/10/2022 20:42

@KarenOLantern … ironically the only time we thought we were being harassed was when we got lost and some local people were actually trying to tell us we were in an area unsafe for tourists and trying to give us directions back to a safer place. We ignored them at first thinking they were trying to scam us.

We hired a car and drove around into the desert and mountains…the car kept breaking down and we were reliant on strangers helping us get it bump started and everyone we met was warm and friendly and only too happy to help.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.