My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think Kate/Catherine, Princess of Wales, is one of the luckiest and most admirable women alive?!

438 replies

KohinoorDiamond · 07/10/2022 12:57

She’s a Princess and future Queen Consort. She’s the wife of a Prince and future King. Mother to Princes and a Princess. Mother to a future King and the British royal family’s future bloodline.

She’s very good looking, wealthy, has a good figure and wears lovely clothes. She has mastered the art of ‘do not complain, do not explain’. So, she comes across very well (such as how she handled this yesterday: Princess of Wales challenged during royal visit to Northern Ireland).

Unlike a diamond, I can’t find any flaws in Catherine, Princess of Wales; she comes across as too perfect to fault! She has it all and more.

There’s a lot to admire because she seems to be the luckiest woman alive. What does everyone else think?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

712 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
79%
You are NOT being unreasonable
21%
tillytoodles1 · 07/10/2022 13:36

Shes like a Stepford wife, always perfectly turned out, always smiling and pleasant. She lives a life of luxury but apart from turning up and getting photographed what does she actually do?

deadloud · 07/10/2022 13:37

OP's username....

Otterock · 07/10/2022 13:37

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LadyKenya · 07/10/2022 13:38

This thread is bait!

HeadNorth · 07/10/2022 13:38

I would say she one of the luckiest but not one of the most admirable women alive. She's no Dolly Parton, JK Rowling, Mary Beard, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie or Malala Yousafzai - to name just a few truly admirable women.

Grandeur · 07/10/2022 13:38

I'm surprised you love Kate so much, OP, considering all your previous threads and posts have been regarding the abolition of the monarchy, how much you don't like the Royal Family, etc...

KohinoorDiamond · 07/10/2022 13:40

Grandeur · 07/10/2022 13:09

How did she handle the Ireland thing well? I think she came across as very passive aggressive actually with her big fake smile and head tilt. Cringe.

But what else could she or anyone else do?!

I mean, I do wonder how she feels about these issues that arise. Her role is to keep the peace. And that’s what her response achieved, so it can’t verbally be faulted.

OP posts:
lollypollywally · 07/10/2022 13:40

I am no royalist but I have a huge amount of respect for Kate. I think she's absolutely lovely.

But lucky....no. I wouldn't swap places with her for anything in the world. It would be very naive to think she has a perfect life.

VampiresWife · 07/10/2022 13:40

This thread is pure gold. Thanks for the laughs, OP.

Personally, I prefer Meghan - she seems intelligent, has a personality, is principled, and how she puts up with all the bullshit that's thrown at her I'll never know - she clearly has real backbone. Also her marriage seems warmer, closer and more affectionate/relaxed than Kate's.

LadyKenya · 07/10/2022 13:41

Meh. I think Jane Elliott is admirable personally.

Tabbouleh · 07/10/2022 13:41

LuciaPopp · 07/10/2022 13:26

You've completely misunderstood that essay. Mantel wasn't saying that was what she thought of Kate (for all that it's partly a quote from the first paragraph)- she was talking about the identities we foist onto her:

"In those days she was a shop-window mannequin, with no personality of her own, entirely defined by what she wore. These days she is a mother-to-be, and draped in another set of threadbare attributions".

The essay is about the strange relationship between the public persona of royalty, the physical body of a royal person and the unknowable person inside. She wasn't criticising Kate but the press and by extension all of us for hanging these sorts of reductive "threadbare attributions" on her.

www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v35/n04/hilary-mantel/royal-bodies

I don't think I have misread the essay but assuming I have, it is still my opinion of her. Not particularly her, mind you, but any royal across the world.

Iflyaway · 07/10/2022 13:41

That struck me too @deadloud

Maybe she's from the royal household.

Personally, I would not want to be in her position. A golden cage....

BadNomad · 07/10/2022 13:41

It's a bit weird to admire someone for being thin, well-dressed, polite, a wife and mother. Literally millions of women do the same thing with a lot less money. And, tbh, I think it's very selfish to choose that kind of life for your children. Those children's lives will never be their own and without scrutiny.

Also, she isn't a princess, she's just married to a prince.

antelopevalley · 07/10/2022 13:41

tillytoodles1 · 07/10/2022 13:36

Shes like a Stepford wife, always perfectly turned out, always smiling and pleasant. She lives a life of luxury but apart from turning up and getting photographed what does she actually do?

That is her "job" though.

lessthanathirdofanacre · 07/10/2022 13:42

Lucky, maybe. Admirable? Absolutely not. I don’t admire anything about her.

JenniferBarkley · 07/10/2022 13:42

JaneJeffer · 07/10/2022 13:35

Oh yes everyone knows she should have asked "did you mean to be so rude?"

Snort.

Grandeur · 07/10/2022 13:43

KohinoorDiamond · 07/10/2022 13:40

But what else could she or anyone else do?!

I mean, I do wonder how she feels about these issues that arise. Her role is to keep the peace. And that’s what her response achieved, so it can’t verbally be faulted.

Don't you hate the monarchy? What's with all these goady threads?

iekanda · 07/10/2022 13:44

Arbesque · 07/10/2022 13:34

She's making a better fist of the job than Diana, Sarah or Meghan did. She also seems to be a very loving mother. And yes, she is beautiful.
But I don't envy her. It must be awful knowing your small son will have no choice over his future and is predestined to be King.

Agree with this, and would add that it must be terrifying to receive death threats for her and her children. So I would not swap places with her.

KohinoorDiamond · 07/10/2022 13:44

Grandeur · 07/10/2022 13:38

I'm surprised you love Kate so much, OP, considering all your previous threads and posts have been regarding the abolition of the monarchy, how much you don't like the Royal Family, etc...

I don’t agree with some of the history, such as how the kohinoor diamond was taken from a child. That’s a no no by all reasonable standards.

But that wasn’t Kate/Catherine herself, was it?

I would like to know what she thinks about the royal family’s colonial past. But she’ll never say because she follows protocol. I do admire her ability to master the art of silence.

In the end she’s keeping the peace.

OP posts:
Boomboom22 · 07/10/2022 13:44

I think she looks ill, far too skinny, probably anorexia. I imagine it's quite pressured to look skinny. Def wouldn't say she looks healthy or that being so underweight is a good role model though.

EvilRingahBitch · 07/10/2022 13:45

She's rich, pretty and thin, and her children look adorable, but she's not exactly Beyoncé, or Jocelyn Bell Burnell.

OrangeTrifle · 07/10/2022 13:46

The plasters put me off.
She must be so accident prone.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LuciaPopp · 07/10/2022 13:46

@Tabbouleh Of course you're welcome to your view- I'm just making the point that Mantel was saying something a bit different.

Pumpkinspiceandallthingsnice · 07/10/2022 13:46

Well she's certainly lucky. Lucky that she was born into a nice well young do, wealthy family. Lucky that she's healthy, attractive, fertile. Lucky that she married into Royalty and a guaranteed life of luxury.

Admirable. Well no not really. I'm sure that she is a nice person, she certainly seems like a good mother. Just like most of us who are doing it all without being very wealthy. From what I can see she hasn't done anything particularly admirable at all.

There are lots of women who have worked really hard and do things that are far more worthwhile.

antelopevalley · 07/10/2022 13:46

JenniferBarkley · 07/10/2022 13:34

Read OP's posts and notice the shift in tone as the thread goes on and we're not doing it for her. Now we're being reminded that Kate has it easier than the rest of us.

The whole Royal Family have it easier than me. They are not shopping around to find the cheapest shops or discussing with their DH what is the lowest temperature in the house is okay.
I do not think the Royal Family should exist. But I also do not agree with piling on individuals who are only doing normal level of things wrong.
You want a pile-on? Go for some of the men like Andrew. He deserves it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.