Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to join street protests to demand a general election

163 replies

Heyyebskeikwbevg · 24/09/2022 10:11

Lots of people horrified by KK’s mini budget and vision for our country, myself included.

Will you protest out on the streets and demand a general election?

YANBU - Yes I will be out on the streets as soon (as someone else organises it!)

YABU - No, they have been elected and we have no right to demand a general election

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

417 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
39%
You are NOT being unreasonable
61%
Tuilpmouse · 25/09/2022 07:26

If you want to effect change, it's better that you join another political party and get involved in help being a part of them becoming a credible alternative government when the next election comes.

lannistunut · 25/09/2022 07:41

Tuilpmouse · 25/09/2022 07:26

If you want to effect change, it's better that you join another political party and get involved in help being a part of them becoming a credible alternative government when the next election comes.

I agree with this. And start now - local elections are in May, help the opposition in your local target seat.

lannistunut · 25/09/2022 07:43

ToGanymedeAndTitan · 25/09/2022 03:41

She wants to increase immigration?
If so that's good in my eyes, kind of shows that yes actually, we do need other countries too!
Not just this one
Don't understand why people have a problem coming to live here, settling and finding jobs.
We do it in say Spain for example
Buy a home and pack up and live our lives there.
All sunny, be retired, all lovely!
Or Australia. Move across the world because you think your kids will have a better and idyllic lifestyle and you can relocate your job over there.
Why is it any different if people come here for the same reasons?

@ToGanymedeAndTitan do you not remember the Leave campaign and the general anti-immigration sentiments? I had/have little issue with immigration personally but it does seem a rapid volte-face for the Tories.

Mamamia7962 · 25/09/2022 07:49

Last week it was people talking about riots and protesting about the cost of the funeral, none of which happened, this week it's protesting about the mini budget, wonder what next week will bring?

sashagabadon · 25/09/2022 07:54

But one of the arguments to oust Boris was that we don’t vote for a PM we vote for a party. I read that argument on here and on the radio numerous times. So that argument still stands doesn’t it?
The U.K. voted for their local conservative MP in 2019 and not for the PM ( unless you happen to live in the PM’s constituency of course)

Forestfever · 25/09/2022 07:59

Theoretically I would join a protest. In practice I'm not sure I would.

2X4B523P · 25/09/2022 08:01

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:55

Here's my proposal. Let's get tough. The time for talking is over. Call me extreme if you like but I propose we it them and and hit them fast with a major and I mean major leaflet campaign. The follow up with a whist drive and car boot sale. Then maybe some benefit concerts. It that's not enough, then I'm sorry it's time for the t-shirts.

I’ll strap a nuclear warhead to my head and nut the smeggers into oblivion!

Willyoujustbequiet · 25/09/2022 08:17

Yes I would protest this time and I've never protested anything in my life before.

She has absolutely no mandate to impose the policies she's just imposed. This is not what people voted for.
The country is on its knees and people are literally starving. It is morally repugnant to benefit the rich yet do nothing at all for those on benefits. Levelling up my arse.

The let them eat cake brigade of hardcore tory voters on here have no grasp of reality. They don't realise the strength of feeling on the ground, even in tory areas.

There will be civil unrest soon. When winter kicks in and people become desperate they will riot. You'd be an idiot not to realise this is coming.

Q2C4 · 25/09/2022 10:28

The Tax Policy Associates have had a go at costing the tax cuts announced last week:

twitter.com/danneidle/status/1573580621242302464?s=21&t=EA2amxM_aDUbVkTDbJUobg

angeltop · 25/09/2022 13:24

Who what do you want to replace the current government with ?

Birdy1066 · 25/09/2022 13:31

Absolutely. It’s time people were out on the streets in droves. The problem is we have a media machine that underreports or simply ignores rightful protest marches as it’s controlled by the far cats themselves. You read in the papers what they want you to read and mostly hear what they want you to hear.
The Labour Party under Blair became indistinguishable from the Tories, and Starmer is as bad. Jeremy Corbyn was vilified by the British media despite being the best hope for change and justice we’ve seen in years.

Birdy1066 · 25/09/2022 13:33

Don’t know who those far cats are, they must be mates with the fat cats my fat fingers were trying to type 😂

Againstmachine · 25/09/2022 13:48

Here's my proposal. Let's get tough. The time for talking is over. Call me extreme if you like but I propose we it them and and hit them fast with a major and I mean major leaflet campaign. The follow up with a whist drive and car boot sale. Then maybe some benefit concerts. It that's not enough, then I'm sorry it's time for the t-shirts.

I think we need to start the campaign

Campaign for the Liberation and Integration of Tory Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society. Or CLITORIS for short, changed terrifying to Tory.

Classic red dwarf, I had the t-shirt with that on back and let's twat it on from when I was going through my teenage years.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.