Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to join street protests to demand a general election

163 replies

Heyyebskeikwbevg · 24/09/2022 10:11

Lots of people horrified by KK’s mini budget and vision for our country, myself included.

Will you protest out on the streets and demand a general election?

YANBU - Yes I will be out on the streets as soon (as someone else organises it!)

YABU - No, they have been elected and we have no right to demand a general election

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

417 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
39%
You are NOT being unreasonable
61%
happyinherts · 24/09/2022 10:38

Oh for goodness sake! Can we get 10,000 signatures together to petition parliament!

Get 10 million - it will make NO difference. Try reading up on procedure instead of showing ignorance.

x2boys · 24/09/2022 10:38

Ottersmith · 24/09/2022 10:35

Yeah let's do it! Truss didn't win a General Election. The Tories have demanded Labour have a general election in the past. Five years each time is too fucking long anyway. No one agreed to that.

You vote for a party not a leader, there have been prime ministers from both Labour and Conservative that didn't win a general election when they became prime minister.

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:38

Ottersmith · 24/09/2022 10:36

That's the biggest bullshit I've ever heard.

How ould these protests convince Truss to call an election?

allof · 24/09/2022 10:39

You could certainly protest, and I suspect many would join you. Combine with a petition.

You're not going to trigger a GE, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:40

allof · 24/09/2022 10:39

You could certainly protest, and I suspect many would join you. Combine with a petition.

You're not going to trigger a GE, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

If the purpose is to trigger a GE and it doesn't, then it's a waste of time.

MarshaBradyo · 24/09/2022 10:44

If your motivation stops at starting a thread on mn then maybe not, but if you’re really keen then go for it

megletthesecond · 24/09/2022 10:50

A GE now will give us another five years of them. Lots of turkeys will vote for Xmas and Labour aren't strong enough yet Cooper and Jarvis should step in.

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:55

Here's my proposal. Let's get tough. The time for talking is over. Call me extreme if you like but I propose we it them and and hit them fast with a major and I mean major leaflet campaign. The follow up with a whist drive and car boot sale. Then maybe some benefit concerts. It that's not enough, then I'm sorry it's time for the t-shirts.

allof · 24/09/2022 10:57

You could say the same about most peaceful protests. Political activism is not a waste of time, in my opinion.

allof · 24/09/2022 10:58

megletthesecond · 24/09/2022 10:50

A GE now will give us another five years of them. Lots of turkeys will vote for Xmas and Labour aren't strong enough yet Cooper and Jarvis should step in.

But I'm afraid I agree with this, and said similar on another thread.

x2boys · 24/09/2022 10:58

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:55

Here's my proposal. Let's get tough. The time for talking is over. Call me extreme if you like but I propose we it them and and hit them fast with a major and I mean major leaflet campaign. The follow up with a whist drive and car boot sale. Then maybe some benefit concerts. It that's not enough, then I'm sorry it's time for the t-shirts.

Don't forget the placards, we definitely need them!

wb3 · 24/09/2022 11:01

allof · 24/09/2022 10:57

You could say the same about most peaceful protests. Political activism is not a waste of time, in my opinion.

The more support there is for a GE election to remove Truss, the less likely she will be to call one.

What PM would voluntarily call an election when support for them was at it's lowest?

OhYouBadBadKitten · 24/09/2022 11:01

I would absolutely join a protest. The alternative is what? Sit back and watch our country be destroyed?

wb3 · 24/09/2022 11:02

x2boys · 24/09/2022 10:58

Don't forget the placards, we definitely need them!

😁

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 11:02

You cant make a GE happen. I bet you people will vote the tories back in though.

orbitalcrisis · 24/09/2022 11:02

The Tories know they can't win so they won't bother until they have rinsed every last penny out of the country for them and all their corrupt friends. No harm in showing your displeasure though!

notnownorma · 24/09/2022 11:02

Do what you like. Just don't expect it to make much difference.

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 11:07

Heyyebskeikwbevg · 24/09/2022 10:13

Typo!

should read YANBU - Yes I will be out on the streets (as soon as someone else organises it!)

How very left, always wanting someone else to do the work for you.

But anyway, yes, you are being unreasonable, there’s no need for an election and we don’t choose when they are in the UK by the normal suspects deciding to have a bit of a tantrum.

Protest if you want, or don’t, it doesn’t matter.

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 11:10

Pmsfml · 24/09/2022 10:36

What is the protocol to trigger a ge? Can we get 10,000 signatures together to petition parliament?

The “protocol” is that the government requests permission from the king to dissolve parliament and hold a general election.

It’s convention that they should do so if they lose a vote of no-confidence in the House of Commons.

CanaryShoulderedThorn · 24/09/2022 11:11

I was prepared to give them a chance, I thought no one could be as bad as Boris, but blimey that mini budget and the refusal to stand up to the energy thugs is beyond a

CanaryShoulderedThorn · 24/09/2022 11:12

Sorry, that should say beyond appalling .

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:19

Lockheart · 24/09/2022 10:19

A quick Google would have told you the public can't force a general election.

Did Google also tell you that man made laws like that can be modified?

There was time when the law said women couldn’t vote. Women were told they couldn’t enforce women’s right to vote either, even through protest.

Some women chose not to suck up what they were being told. They recognised that man made laws can be updated. And now look… women can vote.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:22

SummaLuvin · 24/09/2022 10:26

Not really how democracy works. There was a free and fair general election and just because you don't like how it turned out a couple of years down the line, that doesn't mean the people who voted for the current government to be in power should have their say be overruled. (and I say this as someone who didn't vote their way)

Free and fair election under Boris… not Truss.

Truss lacks credibility for a proper mandate. Just like Brown, if not more because she’s radically changing the policy.

Even Jacob Rees-Mogg believes a new leader ought to come with a general election. He’s in Truss’ own government.

Truss is in the same boat as Starmer when it comes to the general election. It’ll be the first time they’re both tested at the GE polls.

sst1234 · 24/09/2022 11:26

This thread is indicative of what happens to a nation when they are more interested in following the Kardashians than their own political system.

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:27

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 11:07

How very left, always wanting someone else to do the work for you.

But anyway, yes, you are being unreasonable, there’s no need for an election and we don’t choose when they are in the UK by the normal suspects deciding to have a bit of a tantrum.

Protest if you want, or don’t, it doesn’t matter.

Your argument might stand if Boris was PM.

Truss was not elected in the general election. She’s effectively in the same boat as Starmer, having never been tested in a GE.

Like it or not, Truss’ position is fragile. She lacks credibility as PM, just like Brown did. Surely you recognise that too?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.