Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to join street protests to demand a general election

163 replies

Heyyebskeikwbevg · 24/09/2022 10:11

Lots of people horrified by KK’s mini budget and vision for our country, myself included.

Will you protest out on the streets and demand a general election?

YANBU - Yes I will be out on the streets as soon (as someone else organises it!)

YABU - No, they have been elected and we have no right to demand a general election

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

417 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
39%
You are NOT being unreasonable
61%
x2boys · 24/09/2022 11:28

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:22

Free and fair election under Boris… not Truss.

Truss lacks credibility for a proper mandate. Just like Brown, if not more because she’s radically changing the policy.

Even Jacob Rees-Mogg believes a new leader ought to come with a general election. He’s in Truss’ own government.

Truss is in the same boat as Starmer when it comes to the general election. It’ll be the first time they’re both tested at the GE polls.

That's not how it works ,you vote in a party the leader of which is prime minister, the leader can be ousted but the party is still in power ,John Major ,Gordon brown, Teresa May etc are all examples of people who became prime minister having not won a general election.

bellabasset · 24/09/2022 11:30

We're due a GE in 2024. My feeling is that it would be better to wait till then by which time the full effects of Brexit as opposed to Covid-19 restrictions will have bern felt, that both Labour and the Lib-Dems will have an opportunity to really be able to campaign on the way the Conservative government have acted since 2015 and also agree which seats where only one of their parties will stand. Does anyone think Liz Truss will be a good PM?

Stationsofthecross · 24/09/2022 11:31

🤦🏻‍♀️ how can people not know how the political system works. Just HOW 😱🤦🏻‍♀️.

x2boys · 24/09/2022 11:35

bellabasset · 24/09/2022 11:30

We're due a GE in 2024. My feeling is that it would be better to wait till then by which time the full effects of Brexit as opposed to Covid-19 restrictions will have bern felt, that both Labour and the Lib-Dems will have an opportunity to really be able to campaign on the way the Conservative government have acted since 2015 and also agree which seats where only one of their parties will stand. Does anyone think Liz Truss will be a good PM?

I think a general election with Liz Truss and Keir Starmer will be interesting as neither appear to be that inspiring.

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:35

x2boys · 24/09/2022 11:28

That's not how it works ,you vote in a party the leader of which is prime minister, the leader can be ousted but the party is still in power ,John Major ,Gordon brown, Teresa May etc are all examples of people who became prime minister having not won a general election.

That doesn’t change the fact that their status is fragile… people know they got in through the back door and lack credibility as PM.

Pmsfml · 24/09/2022 11:37

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:37

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you need a lie down?

Bloody hell, the sneering on this site is another level. Can we not ask dumb questions without being ridiculed?

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:37

Stationsofthecross · 24/09/2022 11:31

🤦🏻‍♀️ how can people not know how the political system works. Just HOW 😱🤦🏻‍♀️.

But it’s showing how people feel it ought to work.

Even Jacob Rees-Mogg thinks a new leader should come with a general election.

The political system can change. That’s the value of these discussions. It helps create a better democracy.

Political systems have changed before. Hence why women can now vote. It was a hard fight but they did it… because it was the right thing to do. Fair and just.

Givenuptotally · 24/09/2022 11:40

Give them a few months, OP. They are digging their own grave. If we have a GE election too early, there is a risk they’ll get in again….things are going to get worse, people will be less inclined to vote for them then.

romatheroamer · 24/09/2022 11:45

Very relevant to this, I heard a minister called Philp on the Today Programme being interviewed about the Budget (or whatever you want to call it). When the interviewer said " but this isn't a new Government" he replied "oh yes it is". I thought ok we're doing away with elections now, we're having coups like in some military dictatorship.

Pmsfml · 24/09/2022 11:47

happyinherts · 24/09/2022 10:38

Oh for goodness sake! Can we get 10,000 signatures together to petition parliament!

Get 10 million - it will make NO difference. Try reading up on procedure instead of showing ignorance.

Do you know what? That response has really made me feel like shit. I am ignorant about political procedure, that's why I asked the question. I have excellent knowledge of the care and benefits system though, possibly better than yours because of lived experience. I wouldn't ever call you ignorant for asking a question about my field of expertise because I'm not a knob.

DuckBilledFattypus · 24/09/2022 11:48

Obviously you can protest.
It won't make any difference though obviously. And not should it. The Tory's have been voted in. If you don't like it then you can vote again at the next election. If enough people agree with you the Tory's will be voted out. If they don't, then they won't. That's democracy.

MarshaBradyo · 24/09/2022 11:49

Very relevant to this, I heard a minister called Philp on the Today Programme being interviewed about the Budget (or whatever you want to call it). When the interviewer said " but this isn't a new Government" he replied "oh yes it is". I thought ok we're doing away with elections now, we're having coups like in some military dictatorship.

This is hyperbole

A vote of no confidence is not a coup

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:52

Exactly why people are shocked.

Sure, people didn’t realise that the political system allowed this before. They do now and that may be the catalyst to mobilise much needed change and modernisation of the political system.

MarshaBradyo · 24/09/2022 11:53

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:52

Exactly why people are shocked.

Sure, people didn’t realise that the political system allowed this before. They do now and that may be the catalyst to mobilise much needed change and modernisation of the political system.

Even with new leaders before? How have you missed the process

x2boys · 24/09/2022 11:53

Don't be ridiculous we are not doing away with elections at all ,there will still have to be one at some point and I think after five years one has to be called, just because a prime minister has been ousted doesn't mean the party in power loses power ,and there are cabinet reshuffle, s all the time .

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:55

MarshaBradyo · 24/09/2022 11:53

Even with new leaders before? How have you missed the process

Yep… I think it’s the same with any new leader, but even more so when they seek to make drastic changes (as with Truss).

Even Jacob Rees-Mogg (who is in Truss’ government) has said that in his view a new leader should come with a general election.

It makes sense. Just and Fair. Helps develop a better democracy.

allof · 24/09/2022 12:00

Do you know what? That response has really made me feel like shit. I am ignorant about political procedure, that's why I asked the question. I have excellent knowledge of the care and benefits system though, possibly better than yours because of lived experience. I wouldn't ever call you ignorant for asking a question about my field of expertise because I'm not a knob.

Unnecessarily rude, I agree.

Obviously a general election won't be triggered by the OP's march or a petition but such political activism, is rarely a waste of time, and is an essential part of the democratic process.

happyinherts · 24/09/2022 12:00

xxxxx
Google is my friend and I read a lot, listen and observe.

RudsyFarmer · 24/09/2022 12:08

Are we going to set fire to stuff?

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 12:23

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:27

Your argument might stand if Boris was PM.

Truss was not elected in the general election. She’s effectively in the same boat as Starmer, having never been tested in a GE.

Like it or not, Truss’ position is fragile. She lacks credibility as PM, just like Brown did. Surely you recognise that too?

You seem to have literally no understanding of how the UK electoral system works. We vote for our local MP, not for the Prime Minister.

And yes, of course she was elected in a general election, she would not be an MP if she wasn’t.

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 12:25

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 11:35

That doesn’t change the fact that their status is fragile… people know they got in through the back door and lack credibility as PM.

But so what? Why do you think that that matters or that she should do anything about it?

She is leader of a party with a huge majority, she is PM, she has no need to call an ejection.

Get out and protest if you want, but don’t think that the government should respond to a few crusties being upset. Again.

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 12:32

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 12:23

You seem to have literally no understanding of how the UK electoral system works. We vote for our local MP, not for the Prime Minister.

And yes, of course she was elected in a general election, she would not be an MP if she wasn’t.

I have an understanding that the system can change. You don’t…
Remember that the system once wouldn’t let women vote, but that changed through protest.

Truss was elected as MP, not as PM. Big difference.

Truss is making unpopular decisions having inherited the majority won by Boris. It’s like someone spending money they haven’t earned themselves; she’s more likely to be reckless because she doesn’t value to graft that went into earning her inheritance in the first place.

Mr Cameron adds that a lot of people had put their trust in the Conservatives for the first time and Boris Johnson was right to say the job now was to cement that trust and govern for the whole country.” - www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2019-50755004/page/7

As such, Boris (having earned the majority and victory at the last general election) understood where his majority win came from and his responsibility to those voters. As did David Cameron who had also experienced the general election process as leader.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 12:34

Fine, you don’t like the current system, so out you go and organise your protest.

Or, more likely, just whine on here about how unfair you find it, as most people seem to do.

What I don’t get though is why you think I and others ought to care that you think it’s unfair.

Againstmachine · 24/09/2022 12:37

If there is another general election, the Tories will win again.

Labour is massively lazy and should be trying to get people who don't traditionally vote to vote a lot of these are care workers, call centre, distribution etc.

YellowTreeHouse · 24/09/2022 12:40

Sure, if you want to completely waste your time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.