Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to join street protests to demand a general election

163 replies

Heyyebskeikwbevg · 24/09/2022 10:11

Lots of people horrified by KK’s mini budget and vision for our country, myself included.

Will you protest out on the streets and demand a general election?

YANBU - Yes I will be out on the streets as soon (as someone else organises it!)

YABU - No, they have been elected and we have no right to demand a general election

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

417 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
39%
You are NOT being unreasonable
61%
Fifthtimelucky · 24/09/2022 16:34

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:55

Here's my proposal. Let's get tough. The time for talking is over. Call me extreme if you like but I propose we it them and and hit them fast with a major and I mean major leaflet campaign. The follow up with a whist drive and car boot sale. Then maybe some benefit concerts. It that's not enough, then I'm sorry it's time for the t-shirts.

This is the only thing I have ever seen on Mumsnet that has made me laugh at loud!

wb3 · 24/09/2022 16:41

This is the only thing I have ever seen on Mumsnet that has made me laugh at loud!

It's a quote from a Red Dwarf.

God I loved Red Dwarf.

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 16:47

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 16:25

Don’t be stupid. It’s not my party of choice, and no-one needs to defend something that another person does.

Is there anyone on the left here who actually understands the structure of a valid argument?

Why would I possibly “need” to do what you demand?

Again, credibility and integrity. Doesn’t seem to matter to you…

Now that I know you won’t engage at all in the valid point about Truss’ government’s refusal to publish the Office of Budget Responsibility, I also know that I don’t think you’re worth engaging with.

@LimitIsUp and I are right to call you out on this. You’re being very selective in structuring your argument to make it valid but we can now see through the holes in your argument.

ImNotGreta · 24/09/2022 16:49

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 16:47

Again, credibility and integrity. Doesn’t seem to matter to you…

Now that I know you won’t engage at all in the valid point about Truss’ government’s refusal to publish the Office of Budget Responsibility, I also know that I don’t think you’re worth engaging with.

@LimitIsUp and I are right to call you out on this. You’re being very selective in structuring your argument to make it valid but we can now see through the holes in your argument.

Of course you can, and of course you’ll be out on the streets soon with your utter ignorance of UK politics fomenting change.

It’s bizarre with your intellect though how you’ve ended up being subsidized by a foreign thickly like me…

LimitIsUp · 24/09/2022 17:55

@ImNotGreta
I see that from your perspective rational discussion involves calling people 'stupid' 'ridiculous' etc, rather than countering valid points.

Also what on God's earth do you mean by 'you've ended up being subsidised by a foreign thickly like me'? Confused

wigywhoo · 24/09/2022 18:40

CurseOfBigness · 24/09/2022 14:50

@SummaLuvin I was responding to another poster, admittedly being pedantic in pointing out that Truss hasn’t actually been appointed by the current Head of State. I don’t think it changes anything, no. But we also don’t know what kind of King Charles III will be like. He seems more outspoken than his mother.

“The point you make on Liz not being elected via GE has more weight, but I still don't buy into it. Our democracy process makes clear we are electing a party, who is represented primarily and led by their candidate. Most people I know don't thoroughly research their local MP options, voting records, personal beliefs and motivations... and vote on that information. They vote based on which party they feel most accurately represents their beliefs, regardless of the MPs. We are all well aware that the leaders can change, and this is not at all unusual. So I don't see why the action of a GE would be an appropriate response to this situation.”

Because Truss is being irresponsible with the power that has been entrusted to her.

Truss seems to be in desperate need of humility before the electorate.

Refusing to publish the OBR report is a red flag.

OBR reports take 10 weeks, action was needed quickly as many on MN have said.

It's not a radical departure from the manifesto - if anything the NI increases Nd Corporation Tax increases they have reversed or stopped were against the manifesto the Conservative party was elected on.

Things change - Covid was an unforeseen event as was war in Ukraine. Policies have to change and flex with events. Brown was "unelected" and had to react to the crash and broke some manifesto commitments in the process.

HRTQueen · 24/09/2022 18:45

Of course protest if you feel you need to

I think the majority of people are tired of elections

I would rather Labour get themselves together so they are ready to win the election in 2024

CurseOfBigness · 25/09/2022 00:09

wigywhoo · 24/09/2022 18:40

OBR reports take 10 weeks, action was needed quickly as many on MN have said.

It's not a radical departure from the manifesto - if anything the NI increases Nd Corporation Tax increases they have reversed or stopped were against the manifesto the Conservative party was elected on.

Things change - Covid was an unforeseen event as was war in Ukraine. Policies have to change and flex with events. Brown was "unelected" and had to react to the crash and broke some manifesto commitments in the process.

Sounds like there was an OBR report to publish but it was blocked.

10 weeks? Certain about that? Remember Truss’ team had some time during the internal leadership contest to help with the OBR report (they may also have done another with Sunak in case he won. So would be interesting to compare the two reports).

Blocking OBR forecasts undermines the credibility of Liz Truss’s economic plans

action was needed quickly as many on MN have said.

And the action was to disproportionately help the richest in society who are least adversely impacted by the cost of living crisis.

No, there was no urgency to make tax cuts for the richest in society and take a economic gamble.

Even the US President has said “I am sick and tired of trickle-down economics. It has never worked. We're building an economy from the bottom up and middle out.

No urgency whatsoever to take action on an economic policy that has never worked in practice.

CurseOfBigness · 25/09/2022 00:29

LimitIsUp · 24/09/2022 17:55

@ImNotGreta
I see that from your perspective rational discussion involves calling people 'stupid' 'ridiculous' etc, rather than countering valid points.

Also what on God's earth do you mean by 'you've ended up being subsidised by a foreign thickly like me'? Confused

😂

I know. She went off on a tangent again. What on earth does that even mean?!

I gave up engaging with her on this thread. But then she decided to enter a discussion on another that I’d started. 😬

B00mShakeShakeShakeTheR00m · 25/09/2022 00:31

We need a revolution. We have no democracy anyway.

wigywhoo · 25/09/2022 01:04

@CurseOfBigness eh? OBR couldn't engage with party leadership candidates, that's just not how it works.

The Ed more significant changes, in terms of the great mass of the people are the energy help, NI cut and basic rate cut. The higher rate cut just takes it to where it was during labours last period in office!

CactusBlossom · 25/09/2022 01:08

This lot hasn't been elected (except by a small minority of the population:Tory party members). I hope we continue to retain the right to peaceful protest, but I wouldn't bank on it. This "government" is trying to remove human rights - have you seen the video of Rees Mogg saying people should not regard annual leave as an entitlement? Thank goodness for the trade union movement!

wigywhoo · 25/09/2022 01:09

wigywhoo · 25/09/2022 01:04

@CurseOfBigness eh? OBR couldn't engage with party leadership candidates, that's just not how it works.

The Ed more significant changes, in terms of the great mass of the people are the energy help, NI cut and basic rate cut. The higher rate cut just takes it to where it was during labours last period in office!

*much more significant cuts

DontTrustThisPoster · 25/09/2022 01:12

Made me burst out laughing too!

Andante57 · 25/09/2022 01:14

B00mShakeShakeShakeTheR00m · 25/09/2022 00:31

We need a revolution. We have no democracy anyway.

What form will this revolution take?
Have you got a stash of firearms ready?
Who is first on your list for the firing squad - or maybe you prefer a guillotine?

TriedAndBested · 25/09/2022 01:19

What is the point of a general election? People are just going to vote conservative again and then she'll have an official untouchable mandate to carry out whatever harebrained idea she and that circus of idiots that she calls her cabinet can come up with in that tiny piece of bird dropping they call their brain.

caringcarer · 25/09/2022 01:31

Not how our elections work. The party with most votes elected in. They choose their own leader. Next election 2 years away. No amount of protests will change the democratic process.

ToGanymedeAndTitan · 25/09/2022 01:33

wb3 · 24/09/2022 10:55

Here's my proposal. Let's get tough. The time for talking is over. Call me extreme if you like but I propose we it them and and hit them fast with a major and I mean major leaflet campaign. The follow up with a whist drive and car boot sale. Then maybe some benefit concerts. It that's not enough, then I'm sorry it's time for the t-shirts.

😂♥️
I completely started reading that in Rimmer's voice and so glad it's not just me and that is exactly where you were going 🤣
#GiveQuicheAChance #ChameolonicLifeFormsNoThanks
😁

AuntTwacky · 25/09/2022 01:38

You can protest but won't get you anywhere

jcyclops · 25/09/2022 01:44

balalake · 24/09/2022 10:31

Let off steam, have a day out, but it will not get you a general election.

Better still to support any by-election campaign if there is one to make sure the Tory vote is as low as possible.

The opposition parties could engineer a by-election every two months or so by getting one of their MPs to fall on their sword and resign, or have them elevated to the House of Lords.

I would support by-elections ASAP in Islington North, Hackney North and Ashton-under-Lyne.

TooBigForMyBoots · 25/09/2022 01:47

Notlabeled · 24/09/2022 14:03

Bet everyone who wanted to oust Boris over a slice of cake are kicking themselves now.

This mini budget is winding up pretty much everyone that I despise. Pretty much has me c

...convinced it's the right call.

WTAF have I just read?🤯 You think it's the right call because it pisses off people you despise? Do you despise British people that much @Notlabeled?

MintJulia · 25/09/2022 01:58

They won't opt for a general election so you are just wasting your time. Find something more productive to do, and then campaign for a change of govt in a year's time.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ToGanymedeAndTitan · 25/09/2022 02:31

They won't opt for a general election so you are just wasting your time
Wish they would though, can but dream

TooBigForMyBoots · 25/09/2022 03:12

Nat6999 · 24/09/2022 13:03

Liz Truss won't last long, it is rumoured there are letters going in to the 1922 committee already.

I'm sure a few more will go in following her announcement to increase immigration.🙈

ToGanymedeAndTitan · 25/09/2022 03:41

She wants to increase immigration?
If so that's good in my eyes, kind of shows that yes actually, we do need other countries too!
Not just this one
Don't understand why people have a problem coming to live here, settling and finding jobs.
We do it in say Spain for example
Buy a home and pack up and live our lives there.
All sunny, be retired, all lovely!
Or Australia. Move across the world because you think your kids will have a better and idyllic lifestyle and you can relocate your job over there.
Why is it any different if people come here for the same reasons?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.