Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Extremely worried- received a really weird message

165 replies

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 17:28

So basically, I received a harmless message on WhatsApp from a stranger and replied, it was typical chat at the start (sorry you’ve got the wrong number, oops I’m so sorry hope I haven’t disturbed you etc etc, no worries it’s easily done. That sort of thing) after those messages it got freaky. I don’t really know how to explain it because the messages werent threatening or anything but it’s definitely made me feel so uneasy and worried about it. I’ve stopped replying and I’m about to block the number (on WhatsApp and on my phone itself), but I’ve just got myself a bit freaked out (probably about nothing, but I’m the kind of person that worries easily!)

if this is a virus/scammer/bot- can they do anything about the fact ive replied to their messages? Can they hack me or my network or get access to anything purely from WhatsApp replies alone? Obviously I know not to press any links or download anything but wasn’t sure if me replying to the messages was dangerous in anyway.

thanks x

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

433 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
58%
You are NOT being unreasonable
42%
Sarahbumdaa · 21/09/2022 19:10

I've had similar in WhatsApp. A picture of a Young girl with the message hi is Alan coming to the football? That is my dh name I just thought well its up to him coz he's 50 lol. So blocked it. Never thought it cud be a scam!!

PrivateHall · 21/09/2022 19:43

Hi op, I am so glad you can be reassured now! I just wanted to make a suggestion, you say you have a pic of yourself on whats app. Given how fearful you are, wouldn't it be wise to remove that? None of my family or friends have their pics on there actually. Also, I really think you need to try and find a way to be brave and ignore these scams, when you think about it rationally, replying to them only leads to trouble. Your stalker won't suddenly admit their identity when you reply, so it isn't ever going to help. I know that is easy for me to say though! But you are honestly opening yourself to so much trouble and stress by replying to these scammers. Take care Flowers

LoisLane66 · 21/09/2022 20:16

Delete your answers to his messages. Then block him. Just a chancer.

LoisLane66 · 21/09/2022 20:28

I've never had a call or WhatsApp from someone I don't know, however, if I was in your shoes, I'd have said something like 'This is my husband's phone, I assume it was it him you want to speak to, I'll get him, he's in the garage, won't be a sec...' .10-1 he won't be on the line if you wait a minute or two.
I can't understand you having a further conversation once you knew he was a wrong number. Your fault entirely if you feel anxious.

weirdwhatsapp · 21/09/2022 20:36

LoisLane66 · 21/09/2022 20:28

I've never had a call or WhatsApp from someone I don't know, however, if I was in your shoes, I'd have said something like 'This is my husband's phone, I assume it was it him you want to speak to, I'll get him, he's in the garage, won't be a sec...' .10-1 he won't be on the line if you wait a minute or two.
I can't understand you having a further conversation once you knew he was a wrong number. Your fault entirely if you feel anxious.

If you had read my full post properly you’d realise it wasn’t a phone call- it was WhatsApp messages. You’ve presumably never been stalked or gone through any of this before- I didn’t know it was a wrong number with absolute certainty and unfortunately I didn’t know for sure if it was a wrong number or a bot, or him pretending to be that so he could start harassing me again.
Hence why I wanted to check.

Maybe read my posts properly before you come out with your victim blaming crap

OP posts:
weirdwhatsapp · 21/09/2022 20:40

Just want to post to say thank you so much everyone who helped me or offered advice or reassurance, I feel so much better about the situation today 💕

and a big thank you to everyone who stuck up for me against the nasty people here! ❤️honestly I can’t believe how obtuse and rude some posters can be!

thanks again everyone who was nice ☺️

OP posts:
weirdwhatsapp · 21/09/2022 20:41

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream · 20/09/2022 21:47

I think I'm definitely old enough to be your mum too OP. But I bet I'd be a nice mum Wink

Honestly you seriously sound so nice! 💕 thank you so much for sticking up for me and being so kind x

OP posts:
LoisLane66 · 21/09/2022 20:57

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

weirdwhatsapp · 21/09/2022 21:04

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

What the fuck? Victim blaming is alive and well I see.

‘I don't get stalked or scammed because I don't put my photo on social media and I don't continue conversations with people I don't know’

i was in primary school when the stalking started. That wasn’t because I had photos on social media. Or because I continued conversations with people I don’t know. That was because I had a father who at one point would have put my mom and I in a grave. Don’t you dare insuate that stalking is in anyway the victims fault- it’s nothing to do with putting photos on social media or talking to strangers. It happens because scumbags want to stalk. That’s why.

you’re talking shit sorry. You blatantly said what you would have done

‘if I was in your shoes, I'd have said something like 'This is my husband's phone, I assume it was it him you want to speak to, I'll get him, he's in the garage, won't be a sec...' .10-1 he won't be on the line if you wait a minute or two’

that’s talking about a phone call, not text talk.

OP posts:
Ladylalaboo1 · 21/09/2022 21:21

@LoisLane66 I'm sorry, your reply makes no sense - if you were texting why would you need to reply saying ' one sec I'll go grab him... ok yeah here he is... hi I'm the husband ' 😂 never known anyone who's texting do this , you would just reply with ' hi This is insert husbands name think you have the wrong number ? And then not respond? - and don't be deliberately obtuse majority of people have some form of picture on social media whether that's Facebook WhatsApp or even LinkedIn for work -it's not weird and it doesn't excuse anyone from stalking somebody just cause you have your picture on social media. I've never been in the position of the OP but I have empathy and can see that based of past experiences if the op blocked immediately it would still be an issue as op wouldn't know either way if it was stalker and would be just as anxious as as she found out it was, so texting back more to figure that out makes perfect sense.

Sounds like a scam OP and usually with these scams they have obtained your number from something you have allowed it on and that will generally include some basic info like the area you live. Freaky but don't think it's anything from your past thank god! Xxx

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream · 21/09/2022 22:04

@LoisLane66 stop talking such absolute garbage and just crawl back under your rock

ShirtingForkBalls · 21/09/2022 22:25

Omg just bloc them!

weirdwhatsapp · 21/09/2022 23:09

ShirtingForkBalls · 21/09/2022 22:25

Omg just bloc them!

omg just read the full thread! I’ve already said I’ve blocked them.

OP posts:
mindutopia · 21/09/2022 23:19

I totally understand how you feel OP. I have a parent that I have no relationship with. They sometimes contact me on social media. I haven’t completely blocked them as frankly I would like to know if they died or were in hospital very ill. They live quite an isolated life (due to abusive partner) and I don’t think any close friends would even know how to contact me (except through social media). They don’t know my address and their friends would not know my phone number. Partner would never contact me.

All that being said, I dread the thought of them being in touch. My safety isn’t an issue (my dc, another matter, why we are NC). They live in another country anyway. But every time I get a particular social media DM, my heart stops for a second. I’ve had lovely friends send me gifts and flowers and when the delivery person knocks and I see what it is, I feel sick. It’s because so many years of manipulation. You just expect it. And it’s exhausting.

JMJ89 · 22/09/2022 10:01

What is wrong with some of the posters on here. It’s worrying how many rude and vicious people are about. Stop inflicting your angry state of mind onto others and just be nice. There’s absolutely no need for some of the responses.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.