Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Extremely worried- received a really weird message

165 replies

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 17:28

So basically, I received a harmless message on WhatsApp from a stranger and replied, it was typical chat at the start (sorry you’ve got the wrong number, oops I’m so sorry hope I haven’t disturbed you etc etc, no worries it’s easily done. That sort of thing) after those messages it got freaky. I don’t really know how to explain it because the messages werent threatening or anything but it’s definitely made me feel so uneasy and worried about it. I’ve stopped replying and I’m about to block the number (on WhatsApp and on my phone itself), but I’ve just got myself a bit freaked out (probably about nothing, but I’m the kind of person that worries easily!)

if this is a virus/scammer/bot- can they do anything about the fact ive replied to their messages? Can they hack me or my network or get access to anything purely from WhatsApp replies alone? Obviously I know not to press any links or download anything but wasn’t sure if me replying to the messages was dangerous in anyway.

thanks x

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

433 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
58%
You are NOT being unreasonable
42%
weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:10

CrampMcBastard · 20/09/2022 19:21

A PP asked if it was about a party! First page of the posts!

i asked that to another poster, I can’t find anyone asking me if it was about a party x

OP posts:
MysteriousMonkey · 20/09/2022 20:10

Like most others have said its just a scam, a common one. They will try and gain trust then ask for money etc. Just block and forget.

Whatthechicken · 20/09/2022 20:11

Not read the whole thread, just your responses OP. I’ve had this before. I worked out that they got my number from the local ads I was trying to sell an evening dress in. So they had my number, my assumed sex, my dress size. It started off ‘really sorry about last night’. I replied wrong number…and then lots of messages following. Have you tried to sell something recently with your mobile number on? Local ads/FB/eBay? I was told after my experience that it is how they target potentially lone females…it’s a phishing exercise. And clearly it works for them sometimes. When it happened to me I was very vulnerable and very broke, so I was trying to sell whatever I could…I somehow think they inferred that from the add. Block and ignore.

Whatthechicken · 20/09/2022 20:13

And the person messaging me was just after a hook up.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:14

Whatthechicken · 20/09/2022 20:11

Not read the whole thread, just your responses OP. I’ve had this before. I worked out that they got my number from the local ads I was trying to sell an evening dress in. So they had my number, my assumed sex, my dress size. It started off ‘really sorry about last night’. I replied wrong number…and then lots of messages following. Have you tried to sell something recently with your mobile number on? Local ads/FB/eBay? I was told after my experience that it is how they target potentially lone females…it’s a phishing exercise. And clearly it works for them sometimes. When it happened to me I was very vulnerable and very broke, so I was trying to sell whatever I could…I somehow think they inferred that from the add. Block and ignore.

Oh god that’s freaky isn’t it! I’m so sorry you’ve had it aswell. People can be so horrible and weird can’t they!

no I haven’t sold anything recently but my profile picture on WhatsApp clearly shows that I’m female, relatively youngish (under 25) so I guess that could make it a target for scammers!

OP posts:
Tsort · 20/09/2022 20:18

This reply has been deleted

Not in the spirit

Yerroblemom1923 · 20/09/2022 20:20

It'll be an overseas scammer, hence the strange "fate" stuff. English won't be their first language. They try to form a relationship to scam you out of money. Do not fall for it.

Whatthechicken · 20/09/2022 20:21

I imagine they are trying their luck, if they think your vulnerable for whatever reason, they may think there is a chance you’ll hook up with them. Bit of flattery, bit of ‘oh it’s fate I got the wrong number’ - what women wouldn’t be instantly wooed! 🤦‍♀️😕.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:26

This reply has been deleted

Not in the spirit

yeah I am a bit all over the place, I think anyone would be after a childhood with that hanging over you.

as I’ve already said, he stalked, threatened and harassed us in all sorts of ways. After that I got paranoid he was after us again. Every single scam call/ wrong message I got I would panic it was him. Maybe it’s the unknown aspect of it or the lack of control, but if I get a scam message that seems suspicious at first, I’ll stress out that it’s him again. If I reply to it and it becomes clear it’s a genuine wrong number, or it’s a genuine scam then I can relax and know it’s not him. But from the initial messages I don’t know that.

ie, receiving a message like,

’hey, could you talk for a minute?’ Could be a scam, a wrong number or him messing with me and trying to scare us again.

if I reply no, or, sorry you’ve got the wrong number,

and they either don’t reply, or they reply sorry them it’s a genuine wrong number. Or if I get a reply back about investing in bitcoin then it’s obviously just a scammer.

so that’s why I used to be bad for replying to messages like this. So I could work out what the motive for the message was and then I’ll know it’s much less likely to be him.

I didn’t think it was that confusing to understand and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that your message wasn’t intended to be so harsh.

OP posts:
Shlomping1234 · 20/09/2022 20:28

Have you ordered a takeaway delivery recently? I had the local kebab shop owner messaging me on WhatsApp after he got my number when I ordered food. The messages were very creepy and weird. I stored the number and his picture appeared. My ex went straight down to give him a piece of his mind.

Tsort · 20/09/2022 20:33

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:26

yeah I am a bit all over the place, I think anyone would be after a childhood with that hanging over you.

as I’ve already said, he stalked, threatened and harassed us in all sorts of ways. After that I got paranoid he was after us again. Every single scam call/ wrong message I got I would panic it was him. Maybe it’s the unknown aspect of it or the lack of control, but if I get a scam message that seems suspicious at first, I’ll stress out that it’s him again. If I reply to it and it becomes clear it’s a genuine wrong number, or it’s a genuine scam then I can relax and know it’s not him. But from the initial messages I don’t know that.

ie, receiving a message like,

’hey, could you talk for a minute?’ Could be a scam, a wrong number or him messing with me and trying to scare us again.

if I reply no, or, sorry you’ve got the wrong number,

and they either don’t reply, or they reply sorry them it’s a genuine wrong number. Or if I get a reply back about investing in bitcoin then it’s obviously just a scammer.

so that’s why I used to be bad for replying to messages like this. So I could work out what the motive for the message was and then I’ll know it’s much less likely to be him.

I didn’t think it was that confusing to understand and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that your message wasn’t intended to be so harsh.

Yes, but if it was him, surely ignoring and blocking would be the logical response? And if it isn’t him, and is just a random scammer, then blocking and ignoring would be the logical response. So, why not just ignore and block?

Either way, you should not be engaging. What you’re doing makes no sense.

I don’t require the ‘benefit of the doubt’. I’m entirely comfortable with my tone.

IcedOatLatte · 20/09/2022 20:34

Why do you feel sick when your phne buzzes? Please tell us you've blocked the number

Like others I don't understand your reasoning at all, normal reaction to dodgy messages is to block and forget

Onceacheetah · 20/09/2022 20:37

I get why you reply OP. Take care xx

GirlOfTudor · 20/09/2022 20:38

It's just a scam. Block the number, keep your social media private and don't give out your number unnecessarily. If you're that worried, change your number and do the above as a fresh start.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:39

Tsort · 20/09/2022 20:33

Yes, but if it was him, surely ignoring and blocking would be the logical response? And if it isn’t him, and is just a random scammer, then blocking and ignoring would be the logical response. So, why not just ignore and block?

Either way, you should not be engaging. What you’re doing makes no sense.

I don’t require the ‘benefit of the doubt’. I’m entirely comfortable with my tone.

Well maybe so I know if it’s worth worrying about? Otherwise I would freak out at every single weird text or call I get when 99% of them won’t be him? If I reply and they send back that it’s about Bitcoin then it’s obviously not him. Then I can block and ignore and won’t have to worry. And because blocking and ignoring made him cause more trouble and made it escalate, so I need to know if it’s likely to be him or not so I can expect more hassle or take precautions to get help? Or am I supposed to go to the police with every single wrong number or scam message?

youre right it probably does make no sense. But the entire situation makes no sense and I’m doing what I can to keep myself safe and make myself feel better after a childhood of hell because of him. And since you don’t know me or the specific details of the situation, maybe lay off the judgement and stop trying to derail the thread? Nobody else has interrogated me about it so maybe just leave if you’re so confused and can’t wrap your head around it all.

honestly I wouldn’t be admitting that you’re fine with your tone in your reply, it’s not really something to be proud about.

OP posts:
weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:40

Onceacheetah · 20/09/2022 20:37

I get why you reply OP. Take care xx

Oh my god I’m genuinely so relieved someone does! Thank you so much x

OP posts:
weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:42

IcedOatLatte · 20/09/2022 20:34

Why do you feel sick when your phne buzzes? Please tell us you've blocked the number

Like others I don't understand your reasoning at all, normal reaction to dodgy messages is to block and forget

I dunno, but maybe being scared of stuff like this brings back the absolute fear of hiding under the bed because he’s at the door, or having him call my mum during the night and threaten to murder us both. Maybe situations like this just brings it all back and every phone buzz is like a throwback to it all. Maybe that’s why

OP posts:
Whatthechicken · 20/09/2022 20:44

If you need to reply to make sure it’s not him (and I understand why), fire off a warning shot. ‘I don’t think texting me like this is appropriate, please stop now, if you don’t stop, I will contact the police, this is unsolicited contact’. If he then continues, you know what your course of action should be.

QueSyrahSyrah · 20/09/2022 20:45

Don't worry about it OP.

DH gets these weird WhatsApp messages from time to time (I never do, oddly).

He likes to play with them. This is the latest from just the other day. It went on for quite a while before the other person stopped replying Confused

Ps.. he works in IT security and wouldn't converse if there was a risk of hacking.

Extremely worried- received a really weird message
Tsort · 20/09/2022 20:47

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:39

Well maybe so I know if it’s worth worrying about? Otherwise I would freak out at every single weird text or call I get when 99% of them won’t be him? If I reply and they send back that it’s about Bitcoin then it’s obviously not him. Then I can block and ignore and won’t have to worry. And because blocking and ignoring made him cause more trouble and made it escalate, so I need to know if it’s likely to be him or not so I can expect more hassle or take precautions to get help? Or am I supposed to go to the police with every single wrong number or scam message?

youre right it probably does make no sense. But the entire situation makes no sense and I’m doing what I can to keep myself safe and make myself feel better after a childhood of hell because of him. And since you don’t know me or the specific details of the situation, maybe lay off the judgement and stop trying to derail the thread? Nobody else has interrogated me about it so maybe just leave if you’re so confused and can’t wrap your head around it all.

honestly I wouldn’t be admitting that you’re fine with your tone in your reply, it’s not really something to be proud about.

Multiple people have said what I’ve said. Including the commenter immediately after me. You’re not being ‘interrogated’. You asked for opinions and you’re getting them.

I’m not ‘proud’ of my tone. I’m comfortable with it. You, on the other hand, posted a garbled OP, had to be asked multiple times (note, by others, not me - more ‘interrogation’?) what the messages actually said - as we were somehow supposed to give opinions without said info - and are now in a strop because I’m not patting you on the head and going ‘there there’. That’s not exactly something to proud of. So, perhaps do some self reflection.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:53

Whatthechicken · 20/09/2022 20:44

If you need to reply to make sure it’s not him (and I understand why), fire off a warning shot. ‘I don’t think texting me like this is appropriate, please stop now, if you don’t stop, I will contact the police, this is unsolicited contact’. If he then continues, you know what your course of action should be.

Thank you so much I’ll definitely do that! That’s a really good idea, thanks again x

OP posts:
Whatthechicken · 20/09/2022 20:55

Don’t be apologetic and don’t say it’s making you feel uneasy, be clear and concise over what is going to happen next if it continues. Take control.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:59

Tsort · 20/09/2022 20:47

Multiple people have said what I’ve said. Including the commenter immediately after me. You’re not being ‘interrogated’. You asked for opinions and you’re getting them.

I’m not ‘proud’ of my tone. I’m comfortable with it. You, on the other hand, posted a garbled OP, had to be asked multiple times (note, by others, not me - more ‘interrogation’?) what the messages actually said - as we were somehow supposed to give opinions without said info - and are now in a strop because I’m not patting you on the head and going ‘there there’. That’s not exactly something to proud of. So, perhaps do some self reflection.

Except they haven’t? Multiple people have reassured me that it’s fine and nothing to worry about. Or given practical advice. You on the other hand were judgemental and called me all over the place.

i didn’t want anyone to say there there, but equally I didn’t want to be interrogated and called all over the place for replying when I’ve already explained my reasons for doing so, which several people have said they understand, and that wasn’t even the point of the thread anyway. You’re incorrect- I asked for opinions on the message and whether I could be hacked. I didn’t ask your opinion on how I should deal with the after effects of being stalked and harassed.

my post was garbled because I was worried sick and couldn’t think straight. As I had made clear and other people seemed to pick up. People asked for more information and nobody called me all over the place or judged me like you have done

like I said in an earlier message, if you don’t have anything helpful or constructive to say- leave :) bye :)

OP posts:
weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 21:00

QueSyrahSyrah · 20/09/2022 20:45

Don't worry about it OP.

DH gets these weird WhatsApp messages from time to time (I never do, oddly).

He likes to play with them. This is the latest from just the other day. It went on for quite a while before the other person stopped replying Confused

Ps.. he works in IT security and wouldn't converse if there was a risk of hacking.

Haha thats really cheered me up! Thanks☺️

OP posts:
Carrotzen · 20/09/2022 21:03

Its a classic scam, wrong number and then they use things like fate to reel you in and 'make friends', At some point they'll as you for money/invest in their business/buy crpto currency etc. Its just a common or garden scam. Depending on where they got your number they might know roughly where you live hence being nearby

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.