Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Extremely worried- received a really weird message

165 replies

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 17:28

So basically, I received a harmless message on WhatsApp from a stranger and replied, it was typical chat at the start (sorry you’ve got the wrong number, oops I’m so sorry hope I haven’t disturbed you etc etc, no worries it’s easily done. That sort of thing) after those messages it got freaky. I don’t really know how to explain it because the messages werent threatening or anything but it’s definitely made me feel so uneasy and worried about it. I’ve stopped replying and I’m about to block the number (on WhatsApp and on my phone itself), but I’ve just got myself a bit freaked out (probably about nothing, but I’m the kind of person that worries easily!)

if this is a virus/scammer/bot- can they do anything about the fact ive replied to their messages? Can they hack me or my network or get access to anything purely from WhatsApp replies alone? Obviously I know not to press any links or download anything but wasn’t sure if me replying to the messages was dangerous in anyway.

thanks x

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

433 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
58%
You are NOT being unreasonable
42%
weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:33

The other thing (that made me think it was a bot) is that everytime I go on to the messages, it says either ‘business account’ or ‘online’- it never says last seen 10 minutes ago or that kind of thing. The replies are really fast too- they take between 1-10 minutes to reply. But then on the other hand I don’t think it’s a bot because the replies are tailored to whatever I’ve said, it’s not like automatic messages if that makes sense. So basically I’m not actually sure if it’s real or not

OP posts:
ThisUserNameIsAvailableOk · 20/09/2022 18:33

Jesus wept. Just copy and paste the messages 🤣🤣

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:40

sorry I know it’s impossible to get advice without all the details so I’ll explain the messages further.

(these aren’t the exact messages word for word, I’ve explained them rather than quoting directly)
they messaged me (calling me the wrong name) and asking if I was going to someones party. I said something along the lines of sorry I’m not (insert name), you’ve got the wrong number. They replied back saying along the lines of I’m so sorry, his account and yours are really similar and it’s one digit of a difference in the number, sorry again hope I didn’t upset you. I replied back saying no worries easily done, enjoy the party! I thought that was it over. Then they replied saying sorry again but nice to meet me, and that they would treat me to a coffee when they get the chance (not if they get the chance, it was ‘when’) and they said they are currently living in a place which is not far from me at all. I was sort of feeling uneasy and I replied saying I didn’t live anywhere near there and that wouldn’t be happening. Ever since then they’ve been messaging me with their personal number as apparently this is their work number, and saying that we are friends now and that they feel they have fate with me. I’ve messaged saying I’m not messaging people I don’t know. And they keep saying we’re friends and they have fate with me.

im probably getting myself all worried about absolutely nothing, but the location thing freaked me out aswell as the ‘when I get the chance’.

like I said, probably just freaking myself about nothing because the messages aren’t threatening but I’m easily worked up and frightened (it’s quite embarrassing actually)

OP posts:
Arsepants · 20/09/2022 18:42

So irritating. Either tell us what they said or tell us you aren't going to tell us what they said so we can read something else

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:42

LaTangerina · 20/09/2022 18:20

Are you sure it's not just someone on a wind up if they're giving you personal details about yourself?

Honestly I can’t guarantee it, but I don’t see any of my friends or family (or anyone else I know!) doing this to me as a windup. I can’t obviously say for sure but none of them are the type that would do this x

OP posts:
surreygirl1987 · 20/09/2022 18:42

That's really weird but I don't u derstand why you're engaging at all. If it seems the slightest but weird, you don't reply and just block.

MarieIVanArkleStinks · 20/09/2022 18:43

Probably bots. I've received a good few of these recently, blocked every one of them without engaging. This is probably your best course for the future.

FlissyPaps · 20/09/2022 18:43

No offence OP but you won’t be tracked if you post a screenshot of the messages or tell us what the message entails. If you don’t understand how the app works and it’s giving you worries and causing anxiety you’d be better off deleting it.

It’s very likely it’s a scam. WhatsApp is rife for them. You just have to have your wits about you. Just block, delete and don’t fall for it or engage with unknown numbers again.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:43

Arsepants · 20/09/2022 18:42

So irritating. Either tell us what they said or tell us you aren't going to tell us what they said so we can read something else

Maybe read the message posted 2 minutes before your arsey reply.

OP posts:
RaininSummer · 20/09/2022 18:44

Just block and ignore. If it isn't a scam they are obviously crazy

Henddraig · 20/09/2022 18:44

From your paraphrasing of the messages it sounds like someone trying to catfish. They’re hoping you’ll get attached and send them money. I wouldn’t worry about them being able to trace or hack you, but block and delete so they can’t keep contacting you. You might find you get more spam contacts now they know your number is active.

user1473878824 · 20/09/2022 18:45

It’s just a stupid scammer trying to get you to form some sort of friendship with them. Block and ignore.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:47

The reason I replied (massive drip feed coming, I know, I’m really sorry) is that I have a family member with a history of stalking me and generally causing a lot of trouble. We’ve had panic buttons and police involvement but have had no trouble touch on wood for over a decade now and I have no reason to think this is him.

I used to be bad for replying to messages that were obviously bots because I was always so worried it was him causing trouble again, and I would need to check they we’re definitely 1 million % bots before I could relax. If I messaged a few times, and saw that they were obviously bots, I could relax that it wasn’t him, but the idea of just ignoring when it could be a bot or might not be and might be him just really scared me.

the reason I didn’t mentioned that before is because I didn’t think it was relevant because it’s very unlikely to be him since we’ve been fine for over a decade, but I guess he’s the reason I freak myself out very very easily. Sorry again for the drip feed but I just thought the context might help people understand why I probably come across like a neurotic mess

OP posts:
YetAnotherChanger · 20/09/2022 18:49

It’s most likely a bot, Google WhatsApp Wrong Number Scam. There’s loads.
If you haven’t clicked any links or gave personal details you’ll be fine, block and forget about it.

Noteverybodylives · 20/09/2022 18:53

This sounds quite like the messages that this guy sent to me. Apart from the business account part.

I thought he’d got my number off someone but I don’t think anyone would give my number out.

I wonder if they literally just message lots of random numbers.

Did he have a photo on the WhatsApp?

Boreded · 20/09/2022 18:54

There’s a whole subset of horror movies dedicated to this…it’s a 50/50 toss up between it being a demon who will come after you, or a serial killer who is already inside the house.

WimpoleHat · 20/09/2022 18:54

If it makes you feel better - my DH had put a wrong number in his phone for a tradesman. Whose name was Steve. He phoned to ask him to come and look at our boiler….or so he thought. He actually got - completely by random - another man called Steve. After a confused conversation, it became clear that he wasn’t the right person. Cue huge apologies from my DH. No big deal….or so we thought. He then got countless phone calls from “wrong Steve” over the following week. “But how did you get my number?”, “I’ve been wondering about why you got my number?”, “How did you come to phone me?”. It was the wrong number! No more than that, but the “fake Steve” became a real pain as he just couldn’t accept it was a genuine mistake and a strange coincidence that they had the same name…..

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:56

Noteverybodylives · 20/09/2022 18:53

This sounds quite like the messages that this guy sent to me. Apart from the business account part.

I thought he’d got my number off someone but I don’t think anyone would give my number out.

I wonder if they literally just message lots of random numbers.

Did he have a photo on the WhatsApp?

Oh that actually makes me feel better that it’s happened to someone else (sorry I feel bad for even saying that but I hope you know what I mean!)

no no picture at all x

OP posts:
weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:57

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:58

WimpoleHat · 20/09/2022 18:54

If it makes you feel better - my DH had put a wrong number in his phone for a tradesman. Whose name was Steve. He phoned to ask him to come and look at our boiler….or so he thought. He actually got - completely by random - another man called Steve. After a confused conversation, it became clear that he wasn’t the right person. Cue huge apologies from my DH. No big deal….or so we thought. He then got countless phone calls from “wrong Steve” over the following week. “But how did you get my number?”, “I’ve been wondering about why you got my number?”, “How did you come to phone me?”. It was the wrong number! No more than that, but the “fake Steve” became a real pain as he just couldn’t accept it was a genuine mistake and a strange coincidence that they had the same name…..

Oh wow that does make me feel better (sorry!) what a crazy coincidence! Hope he stopped harassing your husband eventually!

OP posts:
Jenhen89 · 20/09/2022 18:58

It probably is a scammer - I received one today from someone called “Julia” asking “Oliver” about an apartment. I deleted it before opening it. My partner has also received one about golf. Do not respond to these messages.

LaTangerina · 20/09/2022 18:59

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 18:40

sorry I know it’s impossible to get advice without all the details so I’ll explain the messages further.

(these aren’t the exact messages word for word, I’ve explained them rather than quoting directly)
they messaged me (calling me the wrong name) and asking if I was going to someones party. I said something along the lines of sorry I’m not (insert name), you’ve got the wrong number. They replied back saying along the lines of I’m so sorry, his account and yours are really similar and it’s one digit of a difference in the number, sorry again hope I didn’t upset you. I replied back saying no worries easily done, enjoy the party! I thought that was it over. Then they replied saying sorry again but nice to meet me, and that they would treat me to a coffee when they get the chance (not if they get the chance, it was ‘when’) and they said they are currently living in a place which is not far from me at all. I was sort of feeling uneasy and I replied saying I didn’t live anywhere near there and that wouldn’t be happening. Ever since then they’ve been messaging me with their personal number as apparently this is their work number, and saying that we are friends now and that they feel they have fate with me. I’ve messaged saying I’m not messaging people I don’t know. And they keep saying we’re friends and they have fate with me.

im probably getting myself all worried about absolutely nothing, but the location thing freaked me out aswell as the ‘when I get the chance’.

like I said, probably just freaking myself about nothing because the messages aren’t threatening but I’m easily worked up and frightened (it’s quite embarrassing actually)

That's pretty creepy & stalkerish if they're now texting off a different number & still pushing you to engage. I'd block all the numbers. I see your worry now you've said you had issues with a stalker in the past. Do they sound anyway similar to how this person used to write?
The phrase having fate with you, to me sounds like English might be their second language though, so could possibly be some new form of scam?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

WimpoleHat · 20/09/2022 19:02

Hope he stopped harassing your husband eventually!

He did….but DH got someone completely different to look
at the boiler. He couldn’t face making the same mistake again!

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 19:05

LaTangerina · 20/09/2022 18:59

That's pretty creepy & stalkerish if they're now texting off a different number & still pushing you to engage. I'd block all the numbers. I see your worry now you've said you had issues with a stalker in the past. Do they sound anyway similar to how this person used to write?
The phrase having fate with you, to me sounds like English might be their second language though, so could possibly be some new form of scam?

I’m so sorry I explained it badly! What I meant was, they’ve been messaging me with messages giving me their personal number and saying for me to contact them on that too. And they kept saying we are friends now and that fate has brought us together and stuff like that. The location really freaked me out especially as it’s somewhere relatively specific and close to me (it’s not like they’ve said London or something)

actually now that you’ve mentioned it, I do think English is their 2nd language. Just from the way their messages have been wittten I’m getting that impression

Honestly, I don’t know how my dad used to write because all our contact was in person or on the phone, and it was my mom who got the messages and written contact because I was too young to have a phone for a lot of it. He was very, very intelligent though so I wouldn’t put it past him to deliberately freak me out, but equally I haven’t had any trouble in over a decade so it’s very unlikely. When he did cause us trouble a lot of it was mind games and he’s very manipulative and I think he enjoyed us being scared and hurt but that’s a whole other thread. The problem with something like that is it makes you paranoid about even everyday harmless things like messages like this which are probably just a bot x

OP posts:
perfectlypickled · 20/09/2022 19:06
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.