Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Extremely worried- received a really weird message

165 replies

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 17:28

So basically, I received a harmless message on WhatsApp from a stranger and replied, it was typical chat at the start (sorry you’ve got the wrong number, oops I’m so sorry hope I haven’t disturbed you etc etc, no worries it’s easily done. That sort of thing) after those messages it got freaky. I don’t really know how to explain it because the messages werent threatening or anything but it’s definitely made me feel so uneasy and worried about it. I’ve stopped replying and I’m about to block the number (on WhatsApp and on my phone itself), but I’ve just got myself a bit freaked out (probably about nothing, but I’m the kind of person that worries easily!)

if this is a virus/scammer/bot- can they do anything about the fact ive replied to their messages? Can they hack me or my network or get access to anything purely from WhatsApp replies alone? Obviously I know not to press any links or download anything but wasn’t sure if me replying to the messages was dangerous in anyway.

thanks x

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

433 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
58%
You are NOT being unreasonable
42%
WoodlandWalks123 · 20/09/2022 19:09

OP it just sounds like a run of the mill scam to me - block, delete and try not to worry 💐

Pinkpeony2 · 20/09/2022 19:11

OP this will just be some scammer trying to get you to give your information out.
The words you have put about what the text says screams scammer and yes English will be the second language.
Had so many scam texts, phone calls and emails over the past 5 years you wouldn’t believe. Got my latest one via text last night.
They are just hoping you respond and then they will try some story to get you to transfer money to them.
Block and Delete it. Then put it right out of your head. It’s very unlikely to be the person you are worrying about, just some scammer trying 1000’s of numbers hoping to get lucky.

MaybeMaybeNotJ · 20/09/2022 19:15

Delete and pin protect WhatsApp
I had to do this.
Google it if you're not sure how to :)

perfectlypickled · 20/09/2022 19:16

In your WhatsApp go to settings>privacy see if you are sharing your live location. If yes, turn it off. Blocking is all you need to do, do not interact with them on the other numbers!

great spider sense on this!

CrampMcBastard · 20/09/2022 19:21

A PP asked if it was about a party! First page of the posts!

Alohaoi · 20/09/2022 19:24

It’ll be a dating scam. Trying to get you to take the bait and then ask for money. The whole ‘fate’ thing is the give away there. It’ll be some weirdo in some African country looking to make a few extra quid. Just ignore or do as I do and string them along for fun.

SlouchingTowardsBethlehemAgain · 20/09/2022 19:24

Block them and no longer engage and they won't put you on the Sucker's list.

Threelittlelambs · 20/09/2022 19:31

Probably want you to text the personal number at £5 a message or something and you don’t know until it’s too late. Just block and ignore.

PatientlyWaiting21 · 20/09/2022 19:38

Eek, well actually SIMS are now a major source of hacking, they have your mobile number. Do you have any banking apps on your phone? If so time to deactivate those call your banks, cancel cards and get new ones sent out. Speaking from experience

3ShotsOfEspresso · 20/09/2022 19:42

OP - block and forget. It’s just some loser perve getting off on freaking you out.

Smineusername · 20/09/2022 19:42

I'd be worried it's the stalker tbh. Could you report to police?

Maytodecember · 20/09/2022 19:48

The phrasing of this part “and saying that we are friends now and that they feel they have fate with me” suggests the person’s first language may not be English.
Probably a random getting you to chat and looking for personal info or will later develop into a begging for money for child’s operation, been in an accidents etc etc
Block and forget.

WaveyHair · 20/09/2022 19:48

They are grooming you to give more information so they can scam you. Probably from a call canter in India which can spoof numbers.

what they said I felt like they knew details specifically about me

Known trick to achieve that 'we good pals feeling'. Then they will ask for money, information or you to click on something

Delete & Block & never speak to them again.

Go to banking apps and ensure they cannot be used online or abroad for a while.

SofiaAmes · 20/09/2022 19:49

Someone online was looking for someone with a large vehicle to drive a goat and a pig from a rescue to a sanctuary. I (stupidly) volunteered and the guy messaged me his phone number, but realized the next day that he had transposed 2 digits. In the meantime I had texted him (or the poor person who had that number) all these messages about the logistics of transporting a goat and a pig in an SUV and my damaged elbows and etc. etc.. Note I live in a very urban environment where there aren't normally goats and pigs. I did try to follow up to the wrong number with a message saying "whoops...wrong number, please ignore" but they were probably pretty freaked out about my "weird" out of context messages about goats and pigs.

NeckFanInSoftPlay · 20/09/2022 19:52

Aposterhasnoname · 20/09/2022 18:18

What do you mean by Wierd

HmmBiscuit

Suzi888 · 20/09/2022 19:53

I’d report to the police. It sounds like a scam though.

lucysnowe2 · 20/09/2022 19:53

Hey op, yes, it's a very common scam.They probably just want to sell you crypto or something. Check out reddit.com/r/scams, they discuss this one a lot on there - you're not the only one to be bamboozled!

www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/uthzcj/could_this_have_possibly_been_a_wrong_number_scam/

www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/ulwxqs/got_one_of_these_wrong_number_texts_today_i/

www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/x4whvb/thanks_to_this_sub_i_knew_exactly_what_this_was/

Dipsydoodlenoodle · 20/09/2022 19:58

Alternatively, you could call the number (from someone else's phone or a public phone box and see for yourself).

Personally I think I'd block them.

thinkingaboutmydoorbell · 20/09/2022 20:01

Hi OP

Both my husband and I received an odd text from a business account a couple of days ago. Mine also mentioned a “Julia” like another PP and how they were looking forward to playing golf together next week. My husbands was similar but about a party.

We blocked and moved on. I know you probably want to be polite and point them in the right direction in case it is a genuine wrong number but in my option it’s not worth engaging.

Try not to feel too anxious, I appreciate in your circumstances you may be worried but I highly doubt there is cause to be.

wordler · 20/09/2022 20:01

It being 'fate' is one of the known keywords for a WhatsApp Scam - and knowing your location - they might be basing it off your number if it indicates your area - you won't have been the only one - they probably sent the same message to hundreds of people with the same area code.

Here's an example of how it goes - www.reddit.com/r/whatsapp/comments/qskljl/new_scam_keywords_annie_wrong_number_crypto_yibit/

mathanxiety · 20/09/2022 20:03

They can't hack you.

But you should never, ever do anything but block numbers you don't know on WhatsApp.

It was silly of you to respond.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:05

mathanxiety · 20/09/2022 20:03

They can't hack you.

But you should never, ever do anything but block numbers you don't know on WhatsApp.

It was silly of you to respond.

Yeah I know I shouldn’t have responded but I’m bad for replying to these types of things, I explained why in my message about being stalked x

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

mathanxiety · 20/09/2022 20:07

And if you have a family member who is stalking people then there's even more reason to never, ever respond.

weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:08

Thanks for all the reassuring messages. I’ve been on edge ever since and keep getting messages from my group chat with my friends and everyone my phone buzzes I actually feel physically sick! I’ll be over this by tomorrow but it’s been a horrible night so far with the worrying.

I feel a lot better after reading all the replies here, thanks a lot

i guess this sort of thing is the long term affect of being stalked and harassed, it leaves you completely paranoid! x

OP posts:
weirdwhatsapp · 20/09/2022 20:09

mathanxiety · 20/09/2022 20:07

And if you have a family member who is stalking people then there's even more reason to never, ever respond.

Like I said, I already explained why I’m bad for replying in that post.

I know it’s definitely best not to respond but it’s easier said than done sometimes

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.