Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be seemingly the only one at work tomorrow

115 replies

Givenupgivingashit · 18/09/2022 15:16

Apart from me and and my other NHS colleagues, all of my friends seem to be off work tomorrow, teachers, retail workers, office workers.
Please tell me that there's someone else at work keeping the country running?!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

101 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
Auntieobem · 18/09/2022 15:42

I'm NHS and am off tomorrow. Look on the bright side, ph pay and a day off another time.

Ladywiddithethird · 18/09/2022 15:42

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

ProbAmU · 18/09/2022 15:42

I'm happy to work (NHS) as not interested in watching the funeral and nothing else to do. Would rather take the day another time. Even our local newsagents who never close on Christmas day etc are closed half of tomorrow

MargeSampson · 18/09/2022 15:42

I'm not at work (office worker) but I worked today from home (unpaid) regardless as the workload doesn't drop just because there's a BH.

Gr33ngr33ngr4ss · 18/09/2022 15:44

I work for myself. Tomorrow will be a great opportunity to get all the admin & prep stuff done without the phone ringing! I'm quite looking forward to it.

LT2 · 18/09/2022 15:45

My husband and our colleagues will be working, as will my MIL. I would be too if I wasn't on maternity leave.

NellyTheCake · 18/09/2022 15:46

Self employed gardener. I asked my clients what they would like me to do. And they all asked me to work.
I won't use any power tools but otherwise it will be a normal working day.
I usually work bank holidays anyway. No work = no pay.

ilovesooty · 18/09/2022 15:48

I'm self employed and I'm working in the afternoon tomorrow.

BigChesterDraws · 18/09/2022 15:49

I’m working tomorrow. Airports are still open and planes are still taking off and landing so I’ll be working.

Mrc12 · 18/09/2022 15:49

I work at a University and it is the first day of our freshers week tomorrow, so we are working but closed between 11am - 1pm for the actual funeral service

Noteverybodylives · 18/09/2022 15:49

I’m a teacher so not required to work tomorrow but I have a lot of work to do, so I’ve chosen to do it tomorrow which will free up some of my evenings/weekends.

Eeksteek · 18/09/2022 15:53

I’m not, because I’m self employed at the moment, but if I was employed I would have had to take part of the day for childcare as schools are shut.

A friend was posting about how she hoped all the anti-monarchists would be working, not enjoying the holiday, but it’s not the like schools are open for the children of anti-monarchists, is it? So if you’ve got kids, you’re bound by school closures once they declare a bank holiday, even if you’d prefer not to be. It’s nbd for me, but I expect many people are stuck, because their workplace or childcare arrangements have dictated it, rather than because they made the personal choice to work or not.

667TheNeighbourOfTheBeast · 18/09/2022 15:59

My husband is working as a Paramedic, I’m retired due to Ill health. I am surprised that doctors surgery’s are closed and operations cancelled /moved. I don’t think you’re being unreasonable at all.

BryceQuinlanTheFirst · 18/09/2022 16:01

We own a small business we are open, we can't afford to lose a day's income when we usually have a good Monday

TheTurn0fTheScrew · 18/09/2022 16:02

H is in work. Public sector, not emergency but they need a certain amount of cover regardless.

Monday is my regular non-working day but due to work pressures currently I'll need to put in a few hours from home. I'm sure lots of people who will at short notice have 4 days in which to do 5 days' work will be the same.

PushkaMcgee · 18/09/2022 16:03

I'm working tomorrow. Checking in passengers going on a cruise from Southampton. It'll be a strange shift but at least I'll have a very quick drive to work.

gatehouseoffleet · 18/09/2022 16:04

I will be working, office job and have the bank holiday off but won't bother taking it. I've got Thursday off for a course (not work related) so will use tomorrow to catch up and get ahead with work.

A friend was posting about how she hoped all the anti-monarchists would be working, not enjoying the holiday

I am not really an anti-monarchist, I'd probably vote to keep it in a referendum as the alternative is people like Boris! But that doesn't mean I support compulsory mourning and funeral watching. It would have been perfectly fine to keep things open and encourage employers to let staff watch the funeral or a highlights programme where possible.

teenagetantrums · 18/09/2022 16:04

Care home worker. I should have been working but swapped as DP supermarket worker has day off. So thought we would spend day together. Was easy to get someone to swap as they paying extra for tomorrow. DP is getting full pay for day off

womaninatightspot · 18/09/2022 16:06

I work for the council in environmental services. Normally open on most bank holidays apart from 2 days at Christmas and 2 days at New Years. I worked Easter Sunday for example. We are all off on Monday though.

Maunderingdrunkenly · 18/09/2022 16:06

I’m at work! Office job but took the day on weds instead as was more use to me then. Useful as I’ve run out of leave!

Mannymoomin · 18/09/2022 16:07

I had an email from QVC saying they are stopping their broadcasts tomorrow.
I understand people want to pay their respects, but I feel they’re just jumping on the bandwagon. Crazy

Startuplife · 18/09/2022 16:07

If it’s not too outing, do say where these places are that are open tomorrow. Everywhere round here seems to be shut. I’m not particularly interested in watching the funeral so might as well have been at work!

DP is a sports coach (self employed but affiliated to a club) and he’s been told he’s not allowed to work between 11 and 2.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

coldfeetmama · 18/09/2022 16:07

I'm a nurse but not NHS , will be working as usual .. 13 hr shift but will get my pro rata hours back for when it suits me so I'm happy enough

serenghetti2011 · 18/09/2022 16:07

Nurse but it’s my day off, we were going to take the boys to Safari park but it’s shut too. Feels more like it does @ Christmas with everything closed so will watch funeral and have our roast tomorrow too. Hope work is ok tomorrow for all those still working

mondaytosunday · 18/09/2022 16:27

Well, all those who work filming the funeral, broadcasting, security, utilities, logistics, transport, hospitality, airlines etc are working!
The public face of many firms will close, but behind the scenes someone is generally always working.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.