Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To hope that not every TV channel is wall to wall coverage of the queen's death?

165 replies

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 08/09/2022 19:00

I loved the queen and am very very upset. But I don't want to see coverage on all channels as happened when Philip died. I want some choice.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

MimosaSunrise · 08/09/2022 19:34

Also a bit rude to snark at people re read a book etc, TV (and forums which were all currently on rather than mourning or whatever) have long been a source of entertainment, companionship, something to take the mind off things and there's nothing wrong with that 🤷‍♀️

It’s ok not to want to watch 24/7 tributes, but the op’s post comes across as a bit whingey. This is a historic moment - literally the end of an era - and we all know how it’s going to go. There are dozens of very accessible alternatives to watching live TV, so this just comes across as a petty moan. Netflix, YouTube, podcasts, catch-up...

snowballer · 08/09/2022 19:34

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 08/09/2022 19:00

I loved the queen and am very very upset. But I don't want to see coverage on all channels as happened when Philip died. I want some choice.

Just turn it off. Lots of people will want to watch it. The ability of people to moan about things they can fully control is extraordinary

ImJustMadAboutSaffron · 08/09/2022 19:35

snowballer · 08/09/2022 19:34

Just turn it off. Lots of people will want to watch it. The ability of people to moan about things they can fully control is extraordinary

Not moaning at all. Making a point is not moaning.

OP posts:

Eeksteek · 08/09/2022 19:36

Soubriquet · 08/09/2022 19:09

No disrespect but we aren’t royalists in this house.

Her passing has no effect on us.

I think I would actually be more upset by David Attenborough

I will be considerably upset. A far more present and influential figure, for me personally. I am not a flag waving royalist, but I did rather like the queen and I admired her tremendously. I think the monarchy as we know it will die with her, even if it continues in name and to bring the tourists in. If we ever do become an actual republic, I suspect history will judge today as the turning point.

But bloody hell the 2020’s (and 2022 specifically) are just the gift that keeps on giving, aren’t they?

Trebonay · 08/09/2022 19:37

There are dozens of very accessible alternatives to watching live TV, so this just comes across as a petty moan. Netflix, YouTube, podcasts, catch-up...
For some people they aren't accessible which is why channel 4 have did alternates in the past, such as going back to normal scheduling after Prince Phillip.
As nothing is taken away from one channel of many not showing the exact same stuff, but a lot is gained from it.

AnnaMagnani · 08/09/2022 19:38

My elderly mum is not tech savvy so no, she can't just put on Netflix or Youtube.

She was bored out of her mind with all the Prince Philip tributes and was desperately hoping it wouldn't be the same again for the Queen.

Alltheholidays · 08/09/2022 19:39

Sick of this shite already. We’ll have weeks of it!! Great for burying bad news like the cost of living crisis.
How does huw Edwards manage such a level of sycophancy!! He must practice hard😀
Anyway, thank fuck for Netflix and prime.

Soubriquet · 08/09/2022 19:41

stayinghometoday · 08/09/2022 19:16

Imagine an acquaintance saying that their mum or partner died and you saying: yeah but I want to watch something fun on telly. Do you hear how out of touch that sounds?

That’s a bit different. Because it’s someone you know and you can offer sympathies

But the queen? I don’t know her. Or her family. So i don’t really care

countrygirl99 · 08/09/2022 19:41

For all.those being Starkey the recently bereaved might not want to wallow in another death. We've only just got MIL to restart taking her vital medication after FIL died so really worried if those will trigger her wanting to die again asshe lived the Queen.

EscapeRoomToTheSun · 08/09/2022 19:41

12 days of programmes. Jesus. Surely even the most ardent royalist will get bored by day 5?!

CapMarvel · 08/09/2022 19:42

YANBU. We've got weeks of competitive grieving to look foward to.

Lillith111 · 08/09/2022 19:42

yanbu. Of course lots of people will want to watch that stuff. That’s why some channels will have it on. Having it on EVERY channel doesn’t give people a choice and basically forces them into it. Not everyone wants to watch it. And lots of people can’t afford Netflix, prime or aren’t technologically savvy.

Halstead · 08/09/2022 19:45

Just turn off the TV.

Just making a point? Why? It’s no biggie. See above my point above ^

Are people that fucking sad they have absolutely nothing to do than watch terrestrial TV for 15 hours a day?

Read a book. Do a crossword. Do a jigsaw. Write a letter. So many other options

And yes, my late Grandmother was housebound and not tech savvy. She’d have said exactly the same thing (without, perhaps, the colourful language).

HRTQueen · 08/09/2022 19:46

Of course it will be this is a far bigger historical event than Prince Phillip dying

watch Netflix

Stopthebusplease · 08/09/2022 19:47

I was a great admirer of the Queen, and even shed a few tears when the announcement was made, (mainly because she reminded me of my old Mum) but it's always the same when there is a disaster or the death of a royal, the presenters go over and over the same stories for hours on end, and when they don't know the details, they fill in with inane twaddle and lots of um's and ah's. Happy to watch footage of things that Her Majesty did during her life time, but I do agree with the OP that not everyone wants to, and therefore there should be a choice.

SunnyD44 · 08/09/2022 19:50

I don’t have normal TV, only Netflix so I won’t see it.

However, I assume it will be on all across the world on every channel.

Us Brits may not all like her but I know people in other countries are obsessed with her so there won’t be many (if any) channels that don’t show it.

Halstead · 08/09/2022 19:50

Stopthebusplease · 08/09/2022 19:47

I was a great admirer of the Queen, and even shed a few tears when the announcement was made, (mainly because she reminded me of my old Mum) but it's always the same when there is a disaster or the death of a royal, the presenters go over and over the same stories for hours on end, and when they don't know the details, they fill in with inane twaddle and lots of um's and ah's. Happy to watch footage of things that Her Majesty did during her life time, but I do agree with the OP that not everyone wants to, and therefore there should be a choice.

It’s television!

No one’s forced to watch it!

IHateWasps · 08/09/2022 19:52

Are people that fucking sad they have absolutely nothing to do than watch terrestrial TV for 15 hours a day?

Are people so sad that they feel the need to force everyone into a show of mourning even if they don't care for the Monarchy? What's the harm in leaving one channel free? And yes, having worked in care, watching TV was about the only entertainment some of my bed bound clients could access and cared for.

Bagzzz · 08/09/2022 19:54

I agree probably today and maybe tomorrow will be wall to wall. However I actually think there for BBC maybe could have wall to wall on a couple of channels and then pre curated programmes - non royal documentaries, music such as rerun proms/Glastonbury, old cooking shows - do need to have been vetted. Maybe that will happen in the next few days.

AnnaMagnani · 08/09/2022 19:54

My DM already reads a lot of books and does jigsaws. She just wants a bit of TV in the evenings that is not about the Queen

Having asked her, she thinks we all need to update ourselves and get on with it.

Sunnytwobridges · 08/09/2022 19:54

God i hope not, but I fear it will be.

Mummyoflittledragon · 08/09/2022 19:55

Propagandalf · 08/09/2022 19:05

The OP obviously wasn't around when Diana died in 1997.

Exactly. These days people, who don’t want to see wall to wall mourning. They can stream content.

MimosaSunrise · 08/09/2022 19:58

Trebonay · 08/09/2022 19:37

There are dozens of very accessible alternatives to watching live TV, so this just comes across as a petty moan. Netflix, YouTube, podcasts, catch-up...
For some people they aren't accessible which is why channel 4 have did alternates in the past, such as going back to normal scheduling after Prince Phillip.
As nothing is taken away from one channel of many not showing the exact same stuff, but a lot is gained from it.

I feel for anyone who genuinely has no alternatives as I certainly wouldn’t want to watch wall to wall tributes either, but the op’s post doesn’t suggest that this is her situation. It comes across as part of the grand tradition of loudly making known just how much you don’t care about the royal family.

PerfectlyPreservedQuagaarWarrior · 08/09/2022 19:59

I feel for anyone who genuinely has no alternatives as I certainly wouldn’t want to watch wall to wall tributes either, but the op’s post doesn’t suggest that this is her situation.

This is true, but some of the posts disagreeing with her have been fairly revolting about the people who do rely on TV and clearly give no fucks about their welfare. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Halstead · 08/09/2022 20:04

Genuinely…. Who has no alternative other than watching tv all day, every day?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?