Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your most ingenious money saving tips

954 replies

Toothiehurtie · 28/08/2022 20:51

my Best one is…

a visit to the card factory for cheap cards and gift bags and then picking up presents from car boot sales or charity shops. I have got some brilliant kids party presents for 50p so with the card and a cheap gift bag I have brought the cost of a present in for a pound before.

looking for any tips at all, obviously you can buy porridge oats in bulk cheaper than buying expensive kids cereal etc but anything clever or that people might not have thought of before.

don’t know how bad the fuel crisis will be but considering charging battery packs to charge phones at work and taking a thermos of boiled water home 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

415 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
23%
You are NOT being unreasonable
77%
ivykaty44 · 02/09/2022 10:00

feel there are certain assumptions there that don’t apply in every household

then should I not make any suggestion as other households are different and the idea will not apply to them?

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 02/09/2022 10:12

We don't tend to have food left on plates, as I ask people how much they want when I serve up.

I get the impression we've veered a long way from money-saving tips on this thread ...

SlowingDownAndDown · 02/09/2022 10:23

ivykaty44 · 02/09/2022 10:00

feel there are certain assumptions there that don’t apply in every household

then should I not make any suggestion as other households are different and the idea will not apply to them?

It just seems a very odd way of avoiding wasted food. It assumes the server has no idea how much people eat. It assumes nobody overserves himself at the table. It assumes that there is actually something you do with the leftovers. It doesn’t take into account the extra work of using serving bowls. I just felt it required some explanation of the pre-existing problem that it solved. What happened before?

SlowingDownAndDown · 02/09/2022 10:29

@ivykaty44
And I’m probably making false assumptions there as well

Notaflippinclue · 02/09/2022 10:30

STOP - buying Chinese tack, the more their economy expands the more gas and oil they buy from Russia the longer Russia can throw money at this war, No Chinese money, no war and then - back to the good old days of warm homes and
good food, and no need for penny pinching. Simples!

ElizabethSchuyler · 02/09/2022 12:51

pompomseverywhere · 02/09/2022 05:00

@JimJamJollyWolly

Here's a good quick listen about cold showers and their benefits. It's a podcast by Dr Michael Mosley and they whole series are great and under 15 minutes an episode.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4Q1s9Tyb9ZZmyqZhQk489FS/why-we-should-all-be-taking-cold-showers

I have a bipolar disorder and suffer with chronic low mood. It’s honestly a daily struggle to kee myself in a positive frame of mind.
I have started turning my shower to cold once I have washed my hair and once you get over the initial shock it’s exhilarating. My brain feels so much more alert afterwards and positive afterwards.

NellieJean · 02/09/2022 12:58

Not sure if it’s ingenious but if you have fewer people living in your house than there are bedrooms it’s usually worth going on to a water meter. Ours has saved us loads.

FruitPastilleNut · 02/09/2022 13:31

if you have fewer people living in your house than there are bedrooms it’s usually worth going on to a water meter. Ours has saved us loads

If your standard water bill is high, I'd encourage anyone to try a meter even if this doesn't apply...when we got ours the water company guaranteed we could take it out after 6 months if it wasn't cheaper.

Our standard water bill was £70...with a meter it's between £40 and £45. That's a family of 5 with 4 beds and we're not particularly conscious of the amount we use if I'm honest.

shinynewapple22 · 02/09/2022 13:52

The posters suggesting serving hungry teens an extra chicken breast to save on evening snacking are missing the point of this thread being about money saving ! You can get a whole loaf of bread for the price of a chicken breast . Far cheaper to have an additional snack of instant noodles and toast .

kateandme · 02/09/2022 14:25

I wonder if there is a thread based on meals for cost of living times.it’s not people are silly for not knowing.some people have genuinely never been taught or have too much other shit swirling there minds to contemplate cooking or thinking of ideas.
also then people could help if they have certain ingredient to make a dish.
probaly a daft idea sorry.

kateandme · 02/09/2022 14:27

shinynewapple22 · 02/09/2022 13:52

The posters suggesting serving hungry teens an extra chicken breast to save on evening snacking are missing the point of this thread being about money saving ! You can get a whole loaf of bread for the price of a chicken breast . Far cheaper to have an additional snack of instant noodles and toast .

Or a meal of cheap sausage rolls and beans.a pizza.fish fingers. Eggs. More full meal worthy items.

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 02/09/2022 14:52

This isn’t ingenious particularly but I don’t buy anything online (clothes or whatever) without googling to see if there’s a discount code I can get. Even a holiday club recently had a discount code you could find with a Google.

toooldtocarewhoknows · 02/09/2022 15:12

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 02/09/2022 09:49

Dinner in bowls on the table saves a lot of waste as leftovers are not contaminated and can be saved

I don't understand this at all. How would leftovers get contaminated?

We do this.

What it means is if a child has too much on their plate and leaves most of it, the leftovers on the plate are contaminated as could have saliva on it. You can't save this food.

If you put food in serving bowls on the table and everyone feels they can have more if they need, usually they serve themselves smaller portions.

Then whatever is left in the serving bowls can be chilled and served safely again usually.

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 02/09/2022 16:07

Contaminated with saliva? I've never considered my own kids' saliva contaminating! We all take bites out of each other's food quite happily (and have lived to tell the tale).

BluTangClan · 02/09/2022 16:15

Save on washing up by just licking your cutlery and putting it back in the drawer.
Can be done with plates too if you're really into saving water and energy.

BeBraveLittlePenguin · 02/09/2022 17:05

BluTangClan · 02/09/2022 16:15

Save on washing up by just licking your cutlery and putting it back in the drawer.
Can be done with plates too if you're really into saving water and energy.

If you've been unwise enough to have pets, make them earn their keep by licking everything clean.

DorchaAndLouis · 02/09/2022 17:22

Contaminated with saliva? I've never considered my own kids' saliva contaminating! We all take bites out of each other's food quite happily (and have lived to tell the tale).

If you're planning on keeping leftovers for a few days germs from saliva contaminated food can multiply enough to cause illness.

Freshly cooked food that's got someone else saliva in it is unlikely to cause harm so carry on sharing with your kids.

Triptinratbat · 02/09/2022 17:57

Hopeandlove · 29/08/2022 08:04

Given mine is a huge organisation and I’m expected to answer work emails at home and required to have the internet and work laptop on at home - so that we can do calls from home (!) as well as be phoned at home or on our mobiles in an emergency - our are actively encouraging it. I have about 40 sockets in my room at work and work have said charge everything. every member of staff can request the loan of a power bank etc

we have free tea and coffee at work and they have said use it - far cheaper for them to buy in bulk and heat one urn rather then us all boil kettles at home
We have a gym and showers at work as well as a swimming pool we can use. And we have been told that as from 1st September our towels will be washed and dried by work ready for the next day, they have brought extra washing machines and tumble dryers.

we have also been told anyone struggling needs to ask and there is a confidential set up and literally they will do what they can. We already have lunch included as part of our salary but if anyone struggles any left overs will be given to staff who need an evening meal etc

But I love my work and I won’t leave it until carted out in a box

wow @Hopeandlove you must tell us where you work ? I’d love to have an employer who is so generous 🙂

toooldtocarewhoknows · 02/09/2022 20:30

If you are storing leftovers to reheat, yes it's contamination. It's a hygiene risk.

If you all want to eat the reheated food from each others plates that's just fine Grin.

Qik · 02/09/2022 21:01

Masturbate more frequently, especially in these evenings when it is getting darker sooner. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than Netflix at $18 a month. Do not use root vegetables though - this is stew and casserole season.

ReneBumsWombats · 02/09/2022 21:02

Qik · 02/09/2022 21:01

Masturbate more frequently, especially in these evenings when it is getting darker sooner. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than Netflix at $18 a month. Do not use root vegetables though - this is stew and casserole season.

It is a hell of a lot cheaper than Netflix at $18 a month.

Not once you've factored in the physiotherapy fees for the RSI.

Qik · 02/09/2022 21:11

NHS will pay for RSI. But it depends on whether your employer covers it or not.

OMG, I think you paid for your own masturbation rectification costs!? Muppet. Go to this link - it is a Government Grant for excessive masturbation.

https://www.gov.uk/RSI-masturbation-help-guidance-benefits

My cousin claimed and got EUR 16,000 but he lives in Ireland.

ReneBumsWombats · 02/09/2022 21:16

Qik · 02/09/2022 21:11

NHS will pay for RSI. But it depends on whether your employer covers it or not.

OMG, I think you paid for your own masturbation rectification costs!? Muppet. Go to this link - it is a Government Grant for excessive masturbation.

https://www.gov.uk/RSI-masturbation-help-guidance-benefits

My cousin claimed and got EUR 16,000 but he lives in Ireland.

OMG, I think you paid for your own masturbation rectification costs!?

At those costs? What do you think I am, an idiot? I have a sugar daddy. And a lot of WD-40.

kateandme · 02/09/2022 23:07

Triptinratbat · 02/09/2022 17:57

wow @Hopeandlove you must tell us where you work ? I’d love to have an employer who is so generous 🙂

If I clean and be a general dogs body will they adopt me and let me live in? These people sound amazing and if they can cushion that cost all should be doing the same.sadly I think this situation is more than rare.

ivykaty44 · 03/09/2022 06:50

Saliva will promote bacterial growth and make the food spoil faster. saliva contains enzymes to break down food etc so food on your plate will have saliva upon it.

nothing to do with cross contamination from two people eating or sharing the same food at dinner

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.