Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your most ingenious money saving tips

954 replies

Toothiehurtie · 28/08/2022 20:51

my Best one is…

a visit to the card factory for cheap cards and gift bags and then picking up presents from car boot sales or charity shops. I have got some brilliant kids party presents for 50p so with the card and a cheap gift bag I have brought the cost of a present in for a pound before.

looking for any tips at all, obviously you can buy porridge oats in bulk cheaper than buying expensive kids cereal etc but anything clever or that people might not have thought of before.

don’t know how bad the fuel crisis will be but considering charging battery packs to charge phones at work and taking a thermos of boiled water home 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

415 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
23%
You are NOT being unreasonable
77%
MarchMolasses · 31/08/2022 09:43

If you're a coffee drinker make a flask of coffee in the morning so you don't have to keep switching machines on throughout the day. If you're a tea drinker then fill a 'good' flask with boiling water in the morning

Take a flask to work and fill it with coffee, especially if they have a fancy machine, and don't buy coffees from overpriced shops.

SlowingDownAndDown · 31/08/2022 10:08

“If you're a tea drinker then fill a 'good' flask with boiling water in the morning”
Why? You can’t fill a flask without losing heat. This is getting annoying.

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 31/08/2022 10:13

This thread is counterproductive. I have read through it from beginning to end and now have an overwhelming urge to run around the house flushing loos, turning on taps, overfilling the kettle and cranking the heating up high.

Sgtmajormummy · 31/08/2022 11:32

Talking about freezer insulation.

I keep all my plastic freezer blocks for picnics and the ice cream maker bowl (no idea when I last used that other than as an ice bucket for drinks) available in the freezer. They act as free insulation and when I need the space they go into the fridge to cool that down and avoid it using power.

(The real reason is that I don’t have room for them in the cupboards…)

Crystal12345 · 31/08/2022 11:33

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but a good way to earn a little extra is to use various cash back sites.
I’ve just purchased a bathroom mirror from argos and for the one purchase I’ve used:
topcashback
airtime rewards
Shoppix.
topcashback is a site that you visit before making your purchase, it takes you to the site you wish to purchase from them earn cash back on that purchase.
air time rewards you link your debit or credit card and earn cash back for purchases from certain retailers. Today they had a bonus if you spend £6 or more you got a £2 bonus. You cannot withdrawn this cashback though, you can only use it to pay towards your mobile phone bill.
Shoppix is an app where you upload your receipts (or forward your confirmation email for online orders). It takes a few months but after a certain amount of receipts you can redeem a £10 Amazon voucher.

There are other apps I use too, these are just the 3 that I was able to use for this purchase.

Trying20 · 31/08/2022 11:36

This reply has been withdrawn

This post has been withdrawn by the OP

xogossipgirlxo · 31/08/2022 11:39

EugeneLevysEyebrow · 30/08/2022 19:59

@Qik i think that’s a really good point on focusing on income and not just looking for savings,

I read somewhere that when it comes to money management women generally have more of a tendency to focus on ways of saving money while men tend to look at ways of maximising their income.

And yes, time has value and so ‘saving’ £1 when it takes you an hour to do so is not really much of a saving.

I think it's true. I'm the savy one, my husband maximises his income.

Fernticket · 31/08/2022 12:15

Mybestyear · 28/08/2022 23:15

Well that’s one way of saving money on vinegar 🤣🤣🤣

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

pilkywilkymoansalot · 31/08/2022 13:07

Never ever dry your clothes indoors to save a penny - matter or mass cannot be created or destroyed (remember your school chemistry lessons) all that water will only go into the fabric of your home making it damp and cause condensation, not to mention bad chests, it will head for the coldest spot in the corner of a room or behind a cupboard causing mould. Years ago When I asked a neighbour why she hung her washing out in the rain she said “it will dry eventually “. Good advice.

MrsLargeEmbodied · 31/08/2022 13:13

how do you dry clothes then?
i hang mine over the radiator if it is raining.

MrsLargeEmbodied · 31/08/2022 13:13

might have to rethink this no heating business

xogossipgirlxo · 31/08/2022 13:41

pilkywilkymoansalot · 31/08/2022 13:07

Never ever dry your clothes indoors to save a penny - matter or mass cannot be created or destroyed (remember your school chemistry lessons) all that water will only go into the fabric of your home making it damp and cause condensation, not to mention bad chests, it will head for the coldest spot in the corner of a room or behind a cupboard causing mould. Years ago When I asked a neighbour why she hung her washing out in the rain she said “it will dry eventually “. Good advice.

I think it depends what room you use. I dry my washing in the kitchen, it's always warm there with constant supply of fresh air (due to cooking etc. windows are open) and never had problems with mould. As opposite to my upstairs where steam from showering causes us issues.

Hagpie · 31/08/2022 15:11
  1. When I make sausage pasta I put the sausages in the oven for a bit because my oldest can’t stand the texture otherwise. I pour the oil from sausages to fry onions and continue recipe. I put foil over my sink hole and pour the rest into the hole, wait for it to cool and harden, twist the top like a Hershey’s kiss and keep it to cook other things in.
  2. When I moved last month I bought ASDA essentials everything. Only moved up money-wise if it was bad or had loads of bad reviews. (Learned the hard way it was for a reason). Still my cupboards are basically yellow.
  3. With the amount of crop failure this year I buy one extra tin/500g pasta/1kg rice a week/something that is price-locked. When food prices go up next year, what we have to buy fresh will be somewhat offset by my cupboard. Emergency food is good anyway because work messed up my pay this month but it’s okay because I have a few weeks worth of food for my family.
  4. Some factories make brand-named food and the basic label. I think moneysavingexpert or somewhere similar has a list of food that’s the same but in the cheaper packaging.
  5. I feed my kids a lots of cheap oats for breakfast and they don’t get bored because of the toppings e.g Cheap honey (75p), bananas (£1), strawberry jam (34p) , lemon curd (76p), peanut butter (94p) and I’m going to experiment with instant chocolate powder tomorrow for chocolate oats. It ends where you imagination does and never underestimate the mental boost eating something that makes you feel good can give you.
  6. I buy cheap meats and pulses and then use my spices to bring it to life. I would advise you to not buy speciality things straight away e.g. fish sauce etc if you’re not from that culture. If you’re white British and use loads of rosemary and thyme etc then the next jump might be Italian food because you would use all that plus “Italian seasoning” or whatever. Don’t jump into bulk-buying seasoning my African aunty would use!
  7. Substitute websites. What sub can we use for this expensive, niche ingredient? Someone on the internet knows!
  8. Get your little eco-warriors involved! My 6 year old and I often go on the goodnessnetwork and read things together about them bringing back certain animals from near extinction. Knowing the impact one person can make has inspired her to be better at not wasting electricity than I am. It means she doesn’t mind when I say we are switching to showers or later say we need to take shorter showers. It’s for a reason rather than the world is just a shit place atm. She came to me about not eating animals at all as a family or animal products fully backed by her 3 year old sister. We compromised and now we eat a few meat-free meals in the week. Cheese still seems to be a weakness but I don’t doubt I’m raising a future vegan.
  9. NOT doing everything from scratch. It is still very cost effective to buy cheap bread than all the ingredients plus energy. Someone on here yesterday said about buying ready-meal Mac and cheese for 89p and then adding whatever spices to it and my mind is still spinning.
  10. This winter you will still see me outside with my BBQ so if you’re one of my neighbours kindly mind your business.
  11. Our new house has an actual fireplace!!! Depending on how bad things get, we will abandon upstairs at night and drag all the mattresses downstairs to sleep with the fire going or coals still hot. I will have a newborn then so hardly “unattended overnight” as I will be up all the time.
  12. Thyme and Rosemary plants for 50p on your windowsill. Even if you kill them like I will you still get some Rosemary with the chance at more.
  13. It’s a case of ready or not with toilet training and my 3 year old I . Before I couldn’t get her to wear knickers AT ALL without screaming. 4 days ago I calmly said “this is the last packet of nappies I am ever going to buy and they’re only for night.” Knickers ever since and some success with going to the toilet!
Foggydog · 31/08/2022 15:48

Someone on the telly this morning (don't know who) comparing cooking options and saving money. Microwave (not fancy bells and whistles oven/grill one, just a normal microwave) came out top as cheapest option due to the short amount of time it gets used for. She was insisting you could cook a Victoria sponge in one in 4 mins compared to cooking one in a oven or a slow cooker (can you do that? why would you do that?). Other tip was only using hob or oven, never both, and load the oven up with everything you'd cook on the hob separately including pasta etc. Batch cooking was another tip and learning to use the gadgets you've got, don't go and buy anything new at all.

Bored now, cheese and biscuits it is then.

guffaux · 31/08/2022 17:01

Hoping to save on heating the house by heating the body as recommended- not sure if this has been covered already- can anyone recommend a substitute for oodies? they are currently on offer at 2 for 98 pounds, but if I could get less expensive ones that would be even better- but am wary of the quality on amazon substitutes after reading reviews- would have to be available online though -Smile

Turfaccountant · 31/08/2022 17:07

LampLighter414 · 29/08/2022 10:54

Never flush after wees. If you have multiple toilets in the house if someone takes a poo then also leave it and that toilet is out of bounds for rest of the day until the bedtime flush. Only flush otherwise if all toilets have had poos in the day.

Nope...no.no.no. there are limits

velvetvixen · 31/08/2022 17:11

Bored now, cheese and biscuits it is then

plus a first course of cold soup out of the can!

Bretonbear · 31/08/2022 17:19

Question everything you buy and ask yourself if you really need it.

SlowingDownAndDown · 31/08/2022 17:29

can anyone recommend a substitute for oodies?

Put a newspaper up your jumper.

christmas2022 · 31/08/2022 17:48

SlowingDownAndDown · 31/08/2022 17:29

can anyone recommend a substitute for oodies?

Put a newspaper up your jumper.

Dunelm do them hooded blankets

www.dunelm.com/category/home-and-furniture/bathroom/dressing-gowns-and-slippers

Trying20 · 31/08/2022 17:51

This reply has been withdrawn

This post has been withdrawn by the OP

Foggydog · 31/08/2022 18:16

I did those one minute microwave meringues once, won't be doing that again. Thank you for the cake warning.

sparklecement · 31/08/2022 18:24

guffaux · 31/08/2022 17:01

Hoping to save on heating the house by heating the body as recommended- not sure if this has been covered already- can anyone recommend a substitute for oodies? they are currently on offer at 2 for 98 pounds, but if I could get less expensive ones that would be even better- but am wary of the quality on amazon substitutes after reading reviews- would have to be available online though -Smile

Look at Kuddly.

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 31/08/2022 18:43

When using your dishwasher, pop some frozen fish in there to steam at the same time.

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 31/08/2022 18:45

Oh, and if you have a garden, pee on the grass/shrubs/flowers, thereby saving water both inside and out!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.