Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your most ingenious money saving tips

954 replies

Toothiehurtie · 28/08/2022 20:51

my Best one is…

a visit to the card factory for cheap cards and gift bags and then picking up presents from car boot sales or charity shops. I have got some brilliant kids party presents for 50p so with the card and a cheap gift bag I have brought the cost of a present in for a pound before.

looking for any tips at all, obviously you can buy porridge oats in bulk cheaper than buying expensive kids cereal etc but anything clever or that people might not have thought of before.

don’t know how bad the fuel crisis will be but considering charging battery packs to charge phones at work and taking a thermos of boiled water home 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

415 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
23%
You are NOT being unreasonable
77%
MarthaChuzzlewhit · 31/08/2022 18:46

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 31/08/2022 18:45

Oh, and if you have a garden, pee on the grass/shrubs/flowers, thereby saving water both inside and out!

I forgot to add, it will also ward off the neighborhood cats.

BrownTableMat · 31/08/2022 18:53

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 31/08/2022 18:46

I forgot to add, it will also ward off the neighborhood cats.

And provide free evening entertainment for all the neighbours whose houses overlook your garden?

guffaux · 31/08/2022 19:06

put a newspaper up your jumper

to be fair, I look like I already have done , twice , Grin

Utterlyexhausted · 31/08/2022 19:07

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 31/08/2022 18:43

When using your dishwasher, pop some frozen fish in there to steam at the same time.

What?! So all your dishes smell & taste like fish?! 🤢🤢

CocteauTwin · 31/08/2022 19:10

guffaux · 31/08/2022 17:01

Hoping to save on heating the house by heating the body as recommended- not sure if this has been covered already- can anyone recommend a substitute for oodies? they are currently on offer at 2 for 98 pounds, but if I could get less expensive ones that would be even better- but am wary of the quality on amazon substitutes after reading reviews- would have to be available online though -Smile

Costco ones look good for £30 - I saw these in an email I received earlier today. They will most likely cost less in-store too:

www.costco.co.uk/Jewellery-Accessories-Clothing/Clothing/The-Comfy-Original-Wearable-Blanket-Grey/p/1281486G

laurajayneinkent · 31/08/2022 20:37

Avon or Lidl for most toiletries and cleaning products. Buy 500ml or 1litre bottles of things like shampoo, soap, shower gel etc. Can always decant into a smaller bottle of you prefer. Have switched to bar soap now and considering dry shampoo... Avon 400ml tubs of cocoa butter/coconut multi-purpose cream are fab, £2-£4 each and I use them as hand/face/body cream. I cut open shampoo bottles, hand cream tubes, toothpaste etc to use every last bit - you'd be amazed how much is in there!!! Washing powder not liquid or capsules.

laurajayneinkent · 31/08/2022 20:44

Primary school uniform: I get almost everything from Asda/Lidl/Tesco/Sainsbury's. Prices are so cheap e.g. 2 trousers for £4, 2 polos or cardies for £4. PE kit too. Gym shoes about £3 from Asda. School shoes about £10 from Asda. 1 logo sweatshirt per child (if necessary for school trips etc). Encourage your school to collect/sell (or give away) 2nd hand uniform, or set up a parents' FB group for uniform selling or swapping.
I realise that things will get harder/more expensive when my kids go to secondary school!!!
FB marketplace is great for kids clothes in general. Kids grow so fast that many items are barely worn!! And also for toys, definitely. My kids have never asked why there's no packaging, not even when it's from Santa.

laurajayneinkent · 31/08/2022 21:01

Stangerthings · 31/08/2022 09:36

NOT MONEY SAVING BUT MONEY MAKING.
Sell all the stuff you have not used or worn for 2 years, eg. kids toys and clothes, unwanted gifts that have been in a box in the cupboard for ever. The dress you have never worn and swore you would diet into.
If you have forgotten you have you probably dont want or need it.

Yes!!!
Over lockdown, while on furlough, I went thru ALL our stuff (inc attic) and sold tons of it on FB. Made quite a bit. Kids clothes, shoes, toys, clothes too small for me, unwanted gifts... Gave some stuff away too e.g. bundles of baby clothes that weren't quite up to scratch. Without wanting to sound patronising (but I realise I probably do sound it), there are FB "helping" groups where people are often grateful for things you would throw away.

laurajayneinkent · 31/08/2022 21:07

I think (hope) they are joking?!

laurajayneinkent · 31/08/2022 21:12

With Tesco and Nectar points you usually get 2x or 3x more if you spend them NOT in store i.e. we use ours for holidays via their website. EuroTunnel, hotels.com, restaurants...basically you convert them into a voucher for one of these things and they double/triple your points in the process. I save them up for at least a year first.

laurajayneinkent · 31/08/2022 21:17

laurajayneinkent · 31/08/2022 21:12

With Tesco and Nectar points you usually get 2x or 3x more if you spend them NOT in store i.e. we use ours for holidays via their website. EuroTunnel, hotels.com, restaurants...basically you convert them into a voucher for one of these things and they double/triple your points in the process. I save them up for at least a year first.

Forgot to say I have a Nectar credit card and often buy petrol at Sainsbury's so that helps increase the points!

roopeedoopeedooo · 31/08/2022 21:35

I've found that we go through an insane amount of sandwiches in my house. They are happy with the cheaper own brand bread so I swapped from thick to medium and get a few extra slices per loaf. They do NOT like margarine or imitation butter and real butter is expensive and they slather it on. So I've been buying butter and the own brand cream cheese from Lidl. When making a sandwich I put butter on one slice and cream cheese on the other and then ham/chicken/salad in the middle. Everybody loves it and the butter lasts twice as long and the cream cheese is 1/3 the price. Works with mayo too.

When I'm home in the day time if I want to watch tv I use my iPad instead of the big flat screen. Otherwise I listen to audio books from the library for free. The plus side of the Audi books is that I only let myself listen to them if I'm cleaning or driving so if I find a god book it mates me more productive.

I'm keeping bubble wrap from deliveries to cover my living room windows to try to reduce heat loss. Cheap fleece blankets on every couch , you can get them for £5 in wilks.

Seahorsemama · 31/08/2022 22:38

Qik · 30/08/2022 07:53

Save up all the cut off crusts from sandwiches. Pop them in the freezer for a few weeks. These are them useful to press into the gap between the door and the doorframe over Winter. When we get harsh winds once more, like the Beast from the East, the bread will provide an effective insulation against drafts. When the weather improves, pop the crusts back in the freezer until next time or shred them up to make a nice crumble topping.

That’s hilarious!

Phoenixrising1 · 31/08/2022 23:05

This reply has been deleted

This post has been withdrawn by the OP

Just had to reply to say pp is not 'daft' at all, we're on a water metre and do this too.

Nothing annoys me more than those without a metre who have sprinklers on their lawn....

Qik · 31/08/2022 23:15

Adopt 8 greyhounds from a dog rescue charity.

Then go on Amazon and purchase a quality treadmill and 8 husky dog harnesses, a long length of hosepipe to be cut up into 8 short pieces, 8 funnels, an electric switchgear-transformer and many jars of pickles and some spicy ready meals. Cost - £846.

Eat the pickles, the spiced ready meals and, if available, drink a glass of water from the sink bowl. If that is not available, chomp through five pickled eggs, two jars of curry mix and a couple of sausage rolls from Gloucester Services on the M5 will do.

Set up the treadmill for the dogs and, once they are placed upon it, carefully attach the funnels over their noses with the hosepipes in situ, such that the ends of all hosepipes gather into a central trunked location. From this insert the main, long cut-off piece of the hose up your bum-hole. Push it up really high otherwise it will be in danger of falling out when you are either relaxed or excited.

Now, attach the switchgear to the treadmill so that it can generate electricity as it is turned by the greyhounds. Now you should start to feel the gas is produced from your bum as the sausage rolls and curry sauce mix starts to degenerate in your bum. Let it go. The greyhounds will be very shocked by this and will run for many many minutes trying to get away from you. In the process, they will generate huge amount of electricity via the treadmill so you can live very well indeed until 2026.

Trying20 · 31/08/2022 23:23

This reply has been withdrawn

Trying20 · 31/08/2022 23:25

This reply has been withdrawn

shinynewapple22 · 31/08/2022 23:28

You should write a blog with all your 'alternative' tips @Qik

LoisLane66 · 01/09/2022 00:17

@HelebethH
I like the 8 day idea and will copy it. Thank you. 💐

LoisLane66 · 01/09/2022 00:46

I've been throwing out stuff I no longer need or want, electricals and throws to charity shop clothes and other materials to H&M who gave me 2 x £5 voucher for 2 carrier bags full. I also have an email giving me 25% off any one whole order (ends Nov) so I'm ordering for family and friends when I get their lists.
Last week I got rid of a couple of handbags and found 3 valid JL/Waitrose gift cards with £14.76 in total left. Also a Boots gift card with £5 and a Thompson & ? gardening website email with £13.85 refund code as a plant failed last year. Then I have Tesco points and £20.21 on Boots loyalty card plus £27 in JL paper vouchers and a box with cash in totalling £107.09.
My bank suggested rounding up my spends and I've been pleasantly surprised at how it adds up. Not a large sum but will make Christmas more comfortable.
I think that's me sorted for now. I don't need or want anything but I'll be buying for family and four special friends plus some surprises for a family I know who struggle but never ask for anything and don't gripe. I do love them like my own.

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 01/09/2022 02:59

Years ago I did my own "double glazing" for the winter by covering the windows with some special plastic sheets (they were very similar to food wrap) and then shrinking them to fit with a hairdryer. If I recall correctly the windows were mouldy in the spring when I removed them, so not sure how healthy this is (if you can even still buy this stuff!)

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 01/09/2022 03:02

MarthaChuzzlewhit · 01/09/2022 02:59

Years ago I did my own "double glazing" for the winter by covering the windows with some special plastic sheets (they were very similar to food wrap) and then shrinking them to fit with a hairdryer. If I recall correctly the windows were mouldy in the spring when I removed them, so not sure how healthy this is (if you can even still buy this stuff!)

Good god, you can.
www.amazon.co.uk/Stormguard-11SR0666SQM-Secondary-Glazing-Insulation/dp/B00AL8L20I/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=plastic%20double%20glazing%20sheets&amp%3Bqid=1661997651&amp%3Bsr=8-2&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

sashh · 01/09/2022 04:12

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 31/08/2022 07:51

Don't bleach your mugs, it damages the surface of the glaze and makes them stain more.

Soak them in washing up liquid and water (preferably hot) then rub them with a gentle scourer (something like the green plastic ones not a wire one).

The stains come off pretty easily with a rub even if you don't soak them but they don't come off in a dishwasher

I've never done it but my mum used to use denture cleaning tabs to get rid of stains, she'd throw a couple in a bowl of hot water and leave them to soak.

pompomseverywhere · 01/09/2022 06:13

Searchingforsunshine · 29/08/2022 11:44

I voted yabu, I would def not be happy with a present from a car boot sale or charity shop. Rather have no present at all.

Wow what a strange post. We are all different I know but I couldn't believe what I read here.

pompomseverywhere · 01/09/2022 06:18

movingcastle · 29/08/2022 12:09

We have a 3 day rule for any non-essential shopping - clothes, magazines, books, house stuff, just any general tat that isn't food. You have to wait three days before you buy it. If by the third day, it still seems essential, then OK, but 9 times out of 10 you find you're just as happy without it.

Absolutely excellent idea that we will start today!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.