Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your most ingenious money saving tips

954 replies

Toothiehurtie · 28/08/2022 20:51

my Best one is…

a visit to the card factory for cheap cards and gift bags and then picking up presents from car boot sales or charity shops. I have got some brilliant kids party presents for 50p so with the card and a cheap gift bag I have brought the cost of a present in for a pound before.

looking for any tips at all, obviously you can buy porridge oats in bulk cheaper than buying expensive kids cereal etc but anything clever or that people might not have thought of before.

don’t know how bad the fuel crisis will be but considering charging battery packs to charge phones at work and taking a thermos of boiled water home 😂

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

415 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
23%
You are NOT being unreasonable
77%
Dannexe · 01/09/2022 07:01

My DF has been saving bubble wrap for years and uses it to further insulate his loft. They already have insulation on the floor of the loft but have then used bubble wrap to staple across the rafters, creating another air pocket. It has apparently made a good difference and is free and has saved all that plastic going to landfill.

Weirdlynormal · 01/09/2022 07:35

Dannexe · 01/09/2022 07:01

My DF has been saving bubble wrap for years and uses it to further insulate his loft. They already have insulation on the floor of the loft but have then used bubble wrap to staple across the rafters, creating another air pocket. It has apparently made a good difference and is free and has saved all that plastic going to landfill.

I get this, but if they had a fire the fumes and the melting plastic would compound an already terrible situation. I’d rather add more insulation - that’s fire retardant.

LoisLane66 · 01/09/2022 07:43

@JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon
I don't think that's quite true. I rinse my cups/ mugs in a bit of water because leaving them standing with dregs in adds to the difficulty of getting stains out and there's nothing worse than dirty cups. When I'm washing up (I am the dishwasher) I leave cups aside with a drop of bleach in 1/4 cup water from the bowl. I've never had a problem with future staining after using that method. Anyway, I only do it once a month or so as I don't leave empty cups hanging about.

TheMedusa · 01/09/2022 09:23

Using bubble wrap for loft insulation is dangerous. There's a reason for using glass wool and other standard products - they aren't flammable.

The friend is not fully insured because his/her insurer would repudiate any claim arising from fire. They are also in breach of their mortgage conditions.

This assumes the friend is not an urban myth. It is hard to believe anyone could be so stupid.

CherryRipe1 · 01/09/2022 09:52

Utterlyexhausted · 31/08/2022 19:07

What?! So all your dishes smell & taste like fish?! 🤢🤢

My ex SIL used to cook sweet corn and fish in the dishwasher and on the car engine. Can't remember exact methods but foil & ziploc bags were used if my memory is correct.

Emotionalsupportviper · 01/09/2022 10:52

Endlesslypatient82 · 29/08/2022 11:34

Any thoughts or recommendations for heated gilets?

I misread that as "heated giblets" . . .

😬

Emotionalsupportviper · 01/09/2022 11:00

Qik · 29/08/2022 11:52

I find this hard to believe. The French army at Agincourt in October 1415 got absolutely sodden in the heavy cold rains in the evening before and during the battle. They were quickly overwhelmed and defeated by a much smaller English army in just a few hours, suffering 10 losses for every single English loss. Some of the French noblemen knights even drowned in the marshes.

I doubt they were motivated or felt invincible. Their mental health must have been shot to pieces.

It is all very well coming on with sweeping statements like this, but you really do need to back them up with evidence. I shouldn't think many of the passengers of the Titanic felt that way either.

Not equivalent - being stuck for several hours in sodden, cold, probably heavy pollen clothes waiting to go and be slaughtered is entirely different to a bracing cold or cool shower for 10 minutes. Cold showers are actually associated with successful weight loss, too (I forget why - it was in a weight loss book by Dr John Biffa - How to Escape the Diet Trap, I think it was called. It was the only bit of advice to stick in my mind.)

PeloAddict · 01/09/2022 11:44

pilkywilkymoansalot · 31/08/2022 13:07

Never ever dry your clothes indoors to save a penny - matter or mass cannot be created or destroyed (remember your school chemistry lessons) all that water will only go into the fabric of your home making it damp and cause condensation, not to mention bad chests, it will head for the coldest spot in the corner of a room or behind a cupboard causing mould. Years ago When I asked a neighbour why she hung her washing out in the rain she said “it will dry eventually “. Good advice.

That's great unless you can't dry it outside...!

I open a window or use a dehumidifier which is costing less than a heated airer

PinkSparklyPussyCat · 01/09/2022 11:54

Cold showers are actually associated with successful weight loss, too (I forget why - it was in a weight loss book by Dr John Biffa - How to Escape the Diet Trap, I think it was called. It was the only bit of advice to stick in my mind.)

I'd rather be fat and poor than have a cold shower!

JimJamJollyWolly · 01/09/2022 12:06

Emotionalsupportviper · 01/09/2022 11:00

Not equivalent - being stuck for several hours in sodden, cold, probably heavy pollen clothes waiting to go and be slaughtered is entirely different to a bracing cold or cool shower for 10 minutes. Cold showers are actually associated with successful weight loss, too (I forget why - it was in a weight loss book by Dr John Biffa - How to Escape the Diet Trap, I think it was called. It was the only bit of advice to stick in my mind.)

Cold showers are great, not for everyone of course, but definitely have a whole host of benefits! I have to laugh that the argument against them included the Titantic. I mean that just cannot be serious!

I don't have any research to back up my claim that, for me, cold showers are good. I did my own research before starting them, and the information is out there and easily accessible!

Dannexe · 01/09/2022 16:35

TheMedusa · 01/09/2022 09:23

Using bubble wrap for loft insulation is dangerous. There's a reason for using glass wool and other standard products - they aren't flammable.

The friend is not fully insured because his/her insurer would repudiate any claim arising from fire. They are also in breach of their mortgage conditions.

This assumes the friend is not an urban myth. It is hard to believe anyone could be so stupid.

He’s definitely not an urban myth.

Interesting that it’s not a fire hazard to use bubble wrap on your windows but it is to put it across your roof rafters..

Anyway he’s happy with it and it’s helped to insulate his house.

LoisLane66 · 01/09/2022 17:23

Getting a family member to put all your cards in a box with a 6 digit combination lock as soon as you've done the weekly no-frills shop. You have to work out the combination in order to use them again 😂

RedToothBrush · 01/09/2022 22:46

Just come home. Our TV is one of the few things in the house we leave on standby. Also have TV in bedroom and kitchen in kitchen both off at wall over night... So already conscious about leaving stuff on standby

I've just put it off on the wall. Smart meter has dropped 10p per hour.

We are good at switching everything off. In the past this has only been about 10 per hour so not worried about it. But at 10p per hour on standby... Fuck me. Ds can learn to switch on properly. Apart from the fridge / freezer this is the only thing we have on overnight in the entire house.

Thats nearly £6 per week on standby on a fairly effecient TV.. We have an older ones which are considerably worse than our newer TV.

Its nuts

sashh · 02/09/2022 02:50

LoisLane66 · 01/09/2022 17:23

Getting a family member to put all your cards in a box with a 6 digit combination lock as soon as you've done the weekly no-frills shop. You have to work out the combination in order to use them again 😂

But mine are saved to online shopping.

pompomseverywhere · 02/09/2022 04:36

Zone2NorthLondon · 30/08/2022 20:27

I’m scared to ask what’s the bum cloth wipe box? A cloth you wipe your skitty bum with and then wash?

Many people use washable cloths for babies instead of wet wipes. What would be the difference?

pompomseverywhere · 02/09/2022 05:00

@JimJamJollyWolly

Here's a good quick listen about cold showers and their benefits. It's a podcast by Dr Michael Mosley and they whole series are great and under 15 minutes an episode.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4Q1s9Tyb9ZZmyqZhQk489FS/why-we-should-all-be-taking-cold-showers

Passthecake30 · 02/09/2022 07:29

If you have hungry teens, don’t scrimp on the protein element at dinner, don’t attempt to stretch that chicken…pile it high, add extra carb sides… otherwise the cost in snacks in the evening as they are still “starving” more than outweighs that extra chicken breast

ivykaty44 · 02/09/2022 07:54

Dinner in bowls on the table saves a lot of waste as leftovers are not contaminated and can be saved

SlowingDownAndDown · 02/09/2022 08:26

ivykaty44 · 02/09/2022 07:54

Dinner in bowls on the table saves a lot of waste as leftovers are not contaminated and can be saved

I feel there are certain assumptions there that don’t apply in every household

Qik · 02/09/2022 09:05

SlowingDownAndDown · 02/09/2022 08:26

I feel there are certain assumptions there that don’t apply in every household

Such as @ivykaty44 does not have a labrador.

Dannexe · 02/09/2022 09:29

Qik · 02/09/2022 09:05

Such as @ivykaty44 does not have a labrador.

Or teenagers

JudgeRindersMinder · 02/09/2022 09:44

Passthecake30 · 02/09/2022 07:29

If you have hungry teens, don’t scrimp on the protein element at dinner, don’t attempt to stretch that chicken…pile it high, add extra carb sides… otherwise the cost in snacks in the evening as they are still “starving” more than outweighs that extra chicken breast

Absolutely this! It does my head in when I see so many people saying they “bulk it out” with veg. Yes it helps make a plate look full, but it’s the protein that keeps you full

notwavingbutdrowning1 · 02/09/2022 09:49

I don't understand this at all. How would leftovers get contaminated?

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy · 02/09/2022 09:50

@ivykaty44 Dinner in bowls?

As opposed to plates or what, buckets? I don’t even understand what this means.

ivykaty44 · 02/09/2022 09:57

Serving bowls on the table, opposed to the dinner being plated up then served to person

people will leave food on plates uneaten - but then it becomes waste. Whereas if placed in bowls on table the bowls of food untouched can be saved for left overs

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.