Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Taking DS out of school family holiday WWYD?

204 replies

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:00

Just about to book our family holiday unfortunately we have to go in September as otherwise it’s just to expensive. He has the same teacher and same people in his class so not much settling in really. He will be going into year1.

we either go at the start September 13th or the 27th. I said 27th to give him a bit of time
but OH says it’s probably best we go at the start as they probably won’t be learning many new things then.

WWYD?

OP posts:
Please
or

Imthedamnfoolwhoshothim · 03/08/2022 15:31

HaveringWavering · 03/08/2022 14:42

I tell you what inevitably will happen.

"Mummy, Freddie wasn't here this week. Mrs Jones says he's gone on holiday. Why can't we go on holiday when school is on?"

"Because the school rule is that you should always go in unless you're sick".

"So Freddie is breaking the rules?"

"Well yes, but his Mummy has decided that it's OK to break that rule"

"Why do you make us follow the rules? Why aren't you like Freddy's Mummy? It's not faaaair."

This times 29. Cheers for that.

That's sounds like a you problem that has zero impact on anyone else

Please
or

CeltictigerMum · 03/08/2022 15:32

Also , should have added , I think it totally depends on the child. If he's struggling then I wouldn't, but doing OK at school, then fine .

Please
or

CeltictigerMum · 03/08/2022 15:33

HaveringWavering · 03/08/2022 13:31

You're very lucky then that your business (es) can flex enough to allow for childcare throughout the school holidays AND extra time off during term time. Though maybe if you took less time off you'd be able to afford a more expensive holiday!

Bloody arsey

Please
or

housepilot · 03/08/2022 15:33

September is the worst time to take him. Can you wait until October or later?

( I wouldn't take children out at all.)

Please
or

housepilot · 03/08/2022 15:35

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:26

We’re going for a week, so he will miss 5 days.
i will speak to DS see what he thinks as he will know best.

Your 5 year old DS? Of course he won't know best. He's a small child. Be the responsible adult and make good decisions for him.

Please
or

boingy · 03/08/2022 15:40

Go for it. He won't miss much being off for 5 days.
I don't think either date would matter much , enjoy!

Please
or

Mynotsoperfectlittlefamily · 03/08/2022 15:43

We take my eldest out in September. Last year was year 1 this year will be year 2 he misses the first week back. But for us we have to also consider when it is less busy so he can cope better as can his brother and we want the class to be able to transition with as little disruption as possible. He can be disruptive so we are keeping him out so the rest of the class don't suffer. Obviously it is also about £4000 cheaper which is also a consideration. The school aren't bothered about him missing the first week.

Please
or

TeapotTitties · 03/08/2022 15:51

It's going to be disruptive no matter what.

If you can't afford to go away in the school holidays, you can't afford to go on holiday.

Why not just spend longer saving up, so you don't have to disrupt him?

Please
or

Putonyourshoes · 03/08/2022 15:56

I think what speaks volumes is that all (bar one, if I’m correct having skimmed over replies) of actual teachers that have replied to this thread have said they don’t see issue with taking a child out of school for a week for a family holiday.

To all of those exclaiming that this will derail the poor child’s education, children are often off school for various reasons for similar lengths of time (tonsillitis, chest infections etc), and yes it is not ideal but they don’t suddenly fall to the bottom of their class and no one gets hysterical that their education is ruined. They catch up.

Please
or

Marvellousmadness · 03/08/2022 15:57

Transition from reception to year 1 is huge. They might not learn a lot of things in the first few weeks academically, but there is a lot of social bonding going on. I wouldn't want my kid to miss out on that..

Please
or

Pippa12 · 03/08/2022 16:42

I take mine out every other year or so as I don’t always get annual leave in the school holidays. It does us the world of good as a family, no way would we ALL work our socks off all year, children included, without the promise of good food, wine and a mini disco! They catch up no problem with abit of extra effort when home. It’s not a problem.

I took my little boy out (actually on 27th September!) as he was going into Yr 1. The earth didn’t stop turning, he’s still on track with his learning… all is well, he is 6 now. I’d go the later date in September.

Just factor in the fine to your budget that you are likely to incur. £60 per parent, regardless of if your together/holidaying together. So £120 in total if you pay promptly. Still a massive saving!

Have a blast!

Please
or

TooTiredToAdultToday · 03/08/2022 16:54

I’m a teacher and hoping to go away next summer for our first family holiday (obviously has to be in the hols for me). I used to believe you should absolutely never take term time holidays, but my eyes really have been opened regarding the insane prices parents are looking at now. For many it will probably be a holiday in term time or no holiday at all.

I would say go for it. Genuinely, in the big scheme of things it will make next to no difference to your child. The experiences your child will have and memories they will make are worth it.

Please
or

boingy · 03/08/2022 17:32

All the downers on this thread is ridiculous.
It's not a big deal going from reception to year one.
It won't be disruptive.
The OP hasn't even asked for opinions on wether she should take him out of school... she's asking which week is best.

Please
or

Hbh17 · 03/08/2022 17:35

Pick somewhere cheaper in school holidays - he should not be taken out of school. If you can't afford the holiday you want, that is not a reason to disrupt a child's education.

Please
or

Hbh17 · 03/08/2022 17:38

How else are children going to learn that 1) school is important and 2) you can't have whatever you want whenever you want it? School terms are so short anyway, so they shouldn't be missing a single day.

Please
or

Mischance · 03/08/2022 17:43

Oh just do it! I know it is a pain for the teachers, but they are in the same boat if a child is ill - it is part of the package. There is more to education than school - if you are unlikely to be able to afford holidays out of term time for the foreseeable future, then your DC will miss out on a lot of good experiences. He is only little once - education is lifelong.

Please
or

Marymary987 · 03/08/2022 17:43

I’d go for the 27th so he’s got a few weeks to settle first. Have a fab time!
I don’t think it hurts taking kids out of school for a holiday, in fact I think life is too short and family time making memories is really important. Surely this past few years should have shown that.

Please
or

Boxachocs · 03/08/2022 17:51

I’m a primary school teacher and no issue with parents taking their kids out during term time, I’d do it if I could! I think family holidays are great for making memories and the reality is that missing 5 days of school really isn’t that big a deal.

Please
or

Superfrog3 · 03/08/2022 17:59

Of course I have heard of supply and demand but the price difference is almost double for some holidays. Which can make it virtually impossible for a family to be able to afford and let's not play the businesses will go under card the price difference is due to greed in most cases.

Please
or

autienotnaughty · 03/08/2022 18:16

@SuperPets 😂😂😂😂 love it

Please
or

Heronwatcher · 03/08/2022 18:19

I’d ideally go on a cheaper holiday. If you’re talking about being unable even to afford a week in a caravan then I have some sympathy but if you’re going all inclusive to Spain and would just rather pay less then I think this is a bit crap, and if I was your son’s teacher I’d be a bit pissed off. If you do decide to go on either date then just make sure you’ve added budget for potential fines.

Please
or

MikeWozniaksMohawk · 03/08/2022 18:22

Could you go so you overlap a little with the October half term, so he’s not missing as much? So go a few days before school breaks up, or come back a couple of days after school returns?

Please
or

Squashedraddish · 03/08/2022 18:30

I’m a teacher. I would do it in a heartbeat. He’ll be fine - he’s 5 and it’s 5 days. Incorporate incidental learning into your holiday if you like- giving him some pocket money, writing a postcard etc. but most importantly at age 5, have an amazing and fun time.

Please
or

mafsfan · 03/08/2022 18:45

Year 1 teacher - we have a trip booked for the week of the 27th Sept so it's absolute bollocks for your DH to say he'll be learning nothing and doing nothing. Also how insulting to the hours of planning that goes into that week of school.

I'm not one to say you shouldn't go on term holidays if there's a good reason. As a teacher most of the time I would love to just have a cheap holiday but life is not like that! If you don't want to pay £4k for a £2k holiday you should find a £2k holiday in the holidays in the future.

However, September of year 1 is a shit time to go whichever date. October half term would be better but I suspect your place of choice won't have the weather you want.

Please
or

Lindasllama · 03/08/2022 21:08

OFFS .. my kids are 21,25 and 27... knowing what I do now Sleepregressionqueen I wouldn't fucking hesitate !!

There is little enough quality family time in this life - if you have the opportunity then grab it !

My kids father is Korean .. I took them out of school at all weird times of year to go to Korea for family time with dads clan..

All three went to good Unis (Oxford . Durham and Bristol) We aren't particularly 'bright' parents .. (Civil Service and Hospital porter ) but no one needed psychotherapy because they missed the start of Yr 1 !!! (That was the Oxford graduate btw... )

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?