Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Taking DS out of school family holiday WWYD?

204 replies

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:00

Just about to book our family holiday unfortunately we have to go in September as otherwise it’s just to expensive. He has the same teacher and same people in his class so not much settling in really. He will be going into year1.

we either go at the start September 13th or the 27th. I said 27th to give him a bit of time
but OH says it’s probably best we go at the start as they probably won’t be learning many new things then.

WWYD?

OP's posts:
Please
or

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy · 03/08/2022 12:27

Or could you just go away for a weekend before he starts? You could have gone in May or June or July. Can you really not wait a few more months? September is the most disruptive time you could pick.

Please
or

HaveringWavering · 03/08/2022 12:27

bluesky45 · 03/08/2022 12:25

I'm a primary teacher and I would take him. In fact, we likely can't afford a holiday in the school holidays either and fully intend to take my own child out next year if that's the case. I don't think it matters which date you take him out. For both of those dates, the settling in bits will be done and the "learning" will have started so I'd just go for the cheapest or best weather option. He's in year 1, not year 11!

How are you going to get time off your own job to go on holiday?

Please
or

UCUNoMore · 03/08/2022 12:28

i will speak to DS see what he thinks as he will know best.

yes, your 5/6 year old will definitely know best Smile

Please
or

Superfrog3 · 03/08/2022 12:28

I would probably do the first week so that when he's back he can settle in, going to school for a week and then having a week off is a bit clunky to me.

Also dont let people make you feel bad for having a holiday with your kid, yes the school year will be different but your son if going into year 1 is 5 years old. He will get so much from a holiday, the different experiences and quality family time, it's all learning at that age.

Of course it's not ideal taking a holiday in term time but unfortunately the cost out of term time is ridiculous. Rather than a family having to save for an extra year, travel companies should have a cap on how much they can raise their prices in school holidays. Let's not make families feel bad for what is probably a well earned break.

Enjoy your holiday 💖

Please
or

Yesmate · 03/08/2022 12:29

I’m a primary teacher and I certainly can’t go on holiday in term time @bluesky45, how are you managing that?!

Please
or

exnewwifeproblems · 03/08/2022 12:29

You don't have to go on a holiday at all.

Please
or

exnewwifeproblems · 03/08/2022 12:29

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:26

We’re going for a week, so he will miss 5 days.
i will speak to DS see what he thinks as he will know best.

You what?!

Please
or

Rowen32 · 03/08/2022 12:30

Oh my gosh, I'm a teacher, definitely take him on holidays - such an adventure and life learning for him. I would wait until the 27th when the newness has passed, it's one or two weeks, trust me, it is not a big deal!

Please
or

Hexahop · 03/08/2022 12:31

I’m a Reception teacher and I would take him out, probably the 27th though rather than the 13th!

Please
or

Sirzy · 03/08/2022 12:31

Superfrog3 · 03/08/2022 12:28

I would probably do the first week so that when he's back he can settle in, going to school for a week and then having a week off is a bit clunky to me.

Also dont let people make you feel bad for having a holiday with your kid, yes the school year will be different but your son if going into year 1 is 5 years old. He will get so much from a holiday, the different experiences and quality family time, it's all learning at that age.

Of course it's not ideal taking a holiday in term time but unfortunately the cost out of term time is ridiculous. Rather than a family having to save for an extra year, travel companies should have a cap on how much they can raise their prices in school holidays. Let's not make families feel bad for what is probably a well earned break.

Enjoy your holiday 💖

Ever heard of supply and demand?

if you try to cap the amount they can charge during peak times all it will do is either push up prices at other times or push companies out of business.

Please
or

moomoogalicious · 03/08/2022 12:31

I'd go on 27th. Missing a week of Y1 is hardly going to effect his future education 😂

Please
or

Afterfire · 03/08/2022 12:35

Year 1?!! Just go. People on Mumsnet are utterly ridiculous about kids missing time off school for holidays. In the real world a week or whatever is absolutely fine if their attendance the rest of the time is good. It makes no difference whatsoever and if it’s the difference between having a holiday or not then have the bloody holiday! Holidays are really important for children and provide life long happy memories.

We have always taken our two out of school for holidays - eldest is now 19 and in her second year of university so hasn’t done her any harm at all.

We are all going away in June next year for a week and Ds aged 10 will miss a week of school, otherwise we couldn’t afford to go. Happy to pay any fines if necessary.

Please
or

Imthedamnfoolwhoshothim · 03/08/2022 12:35

I'd do it without a second thought

How much do you remember of your first week of Yr 1? I'm guessing sweet FA.

Please
or

Afterfire · 03/08/2022 12:36

moomoogalicious · 03/08/2022 12:31

I'd go on 27th. Missing a week of Y1 is hardly going to effect his future education 😂

Exactly. The way people are talking it’s like he’s going to fail his A levels.. 😆

Please
or

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:38

I know we don’t have to go on holiday, however as I said we’ve not been away since 2019 because of covid. We are looking forward to a break! I never went abroad as a kid and it was depressing.So I will continue to take mine abroad thank you very much even if it means they miss 5 days of school. Yes I would love to take them in school holidays but I’m not paying 4K for a 2K holiday sorry.

DS attendance was 100% last year he is way ahead than the other kids his report was fantastic. So I am really not concerned about him missing 5 days.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HaveringWavering · 03/08/2022 12:38

Are you an SAHM OP? In families where both parents work we usually have no choice but to go on holiday during the school holidays because we have no annual leave left from work by the time the school holiday is over.

Please
or

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:39

@Imthedamnfoolwhoshothim absolutely nothing!

I came here to ask which day would be better and I’ve got a lecture instead 😩

OP's posts:
Please
or

SuperPets · 03/08/2022 12:40

I've always taken my children on term time holidays (except for major exam years) and its never been an issue.
Year 1 is what...6 years old? Not going to miss advanced calculus or the meaning of life, and I'm sure he can cathc up with the colouring in and times tables he misses at home.

Please
or

Runwalkskijump · 03/08/2022 12:40

HaveringWavering · 03/08/2022 12:27

How are you going to get time off your own job to go on holiday?

This

Please
or

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:42

@HaveringWavering we’re both self employed.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Crunchymum · 03/08/2022 12:43

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:38

I know we don’t have to go on holiday, however as I said we’ve not been away since 2019 because of covid. We are looking forward to a break! I never went abroad as a kid and it was depressing.So I will continue to take mine abroad thank you very much even if it means they miss 5 days of school. Yes I would love to take them in school holidays but I’m not paying 4K for a 2K holiday sorry.

DS attendance was 100% last year he is way ahead than the other kids his report was fantastic. So I am really not concerned about him missing 5 days.

Then why on Earth did you start the thread?

Honestly, no need to get shitty when you are the one who bought the whole topic up.

Please
or

MimiSunshine · 03/08/2022 12:44

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:39

@Imthedamnfoolwhoshothim absolutely nothing!

I came here to ask which day would be better and I’ve got a lecture instead 😩

I’d Go towards the end of the month. Enjoy your holiday. It’s 5 days off, not 5 weeks.
get him to write a postcard on the last day of the holiday with what he did plus read a couple of books 👍🏻

Please
or

Summersummersun · 03/08/2022 12:45

You can always rely on Mumsnet; bloody hell! I have no advice on which date to go OP, but don’t let anyone make you question yourself. Listen to the teachers in terms of which week to go, good to see a few have commented as they’re well aware of the reality of the situation!

Have people forgotten the months of school missed thanks to Covid? I was asked to keep my Year One DS at home in term time last November because my DP had covid! That really wound me up as none of us even caught it but I respected the school’s wishes.

We are going away soon for our first family holiday abroad, and we absolutely couldn’t afford it every year in the holidays. It’s costing an arm and a leg without spending money etc! Next year we plan to go for a cheap week in June, I’ll be taking my Year Two child out for a week.

Please
or

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:45

@Crunchymum to ask which day would be best, not if we should go or if we shouldn’t. And I’m not being shitty I’m fine.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Aprilx · 03/08/2022 12:46

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:15

ideally I wouldn’t take him either, but we haven’t been on holiday since 2019! We’re all desperate for one.

so we are going I’m just not sure what date would be best for DS.

Neither date works for your DS. If you were doing what is best for DS you would go this month or at half term. There are a lot of people that haven’t been away since 2019 what with the global pandemic and all that.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?