Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Taking DS out of school family holiday WWYD?

204 replies

Sleepregressionqueen · 03/08/2022 12:00

Just about to book our family holiday unfortunately we have to go in September as otherwise it’s just to expensive. He has the same teacher and same people in his class so not much settling in really. He will be going into year1.

we either go at the start September 13th or the 27th. I said 27th to give him a bit of time
but OH says it’s probably best we go at the start as they probably won’t be learning many new things then.

WWYD?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yika · 03/08/2022 13:39

I’d go for the later date - 27th - less disruptive.

Please
or

Jules912 · 03/08/2022 13:47

I would've gone in the last half of the summer term when they're mostly doing revision but assuming you don't want to wait until then it probably makes little difference between those two weeks.

Please
or

flowerstar19 · 03/08/2022 13:57

I would go for the later date too! Some people are very anti term-time holidays! We haven't done one yet, but I would. I genuinely think children learn so much from a foreign holiday and make memories that will stay with them. Also since Covid my two have missed loads of school after positive tests or isolating when it's been in the household! I would go for it and enjoy!

Please
or

WaltzingWaters · 03/08/2022 13:57

Take him out. A family holiday and all he’ll experience on a trip will be far more beneficial and memorable. I think the later date would be better.

Please
or

Cookiedough123 · 03/08/2022 14:16

I'm a high school teacher so not primary and we have kids going all the time! Year 1 as well I wouldnt even bat an eyelid!! He will easily catch up. Holiday prices are ridiculous outside of term time. Hoping I can take advantage of going during term time next year when I'm on mat leave 🙏

Please
or

LaingsAcidTab · 03/08/2022 14:29

I never went abroad as a kid and it was depressing.So I will continue to take mine abroad thank you very much even if it means they miss 5 days of school.

"The greatest burden a child has to bear is the unlived life of the parent." Carl Jung

Please
or

SuperPets · 03/08/2022 14:33

ClocksGoingBackwards · 03/08/2022 13:14

There isn’t a date in September that won’t be disruptive. It’s a full on, busy time of year where, especially in Y1, new skills are being learned every day. I work in year 1 and genuinely couldn’t tell you that earlier would be worse to miss than later or vice versa because it will depend on the child and what they need most. If you want ‘better’ wait until after the phonics screening in June.

Youre trying to make yourself feel better about a decision that isn’t in your sons best interests by finding the least worst option. Just own it and accept that neither of them are good options.

What new skills are being learned every day? Honestly wondering what you could be referring to by this?

Please
or

LadyPenelope68 · 03/08/2022 14:35

I’m a Primary Teacher and IMO the jump from Reception to Year 1 can be huge in terms of routines and formality etc, etc. Going either dates will have a big impact on him and your DH’s comments about “they won’t be learning anything” are ridiculous.

many people are “desperate for a holiday”, but they either can’t afford in the current economic climate or value their child’s education more than you do. Holidays are a luxury not an essential. Just don’t be “that parent” who expects the teacher to catch up their child on all they missed.

Please
or

autienotnaughty · 03/08/2022 14:36

I'd choose the later date give him time to settle in.

Please
or

123becauseicouldntthinkofone · 03/08/2022 14:36

HeckyPeck · 03/08/2022 12:19

If he was older and coming up to GCSEs or something I'd say not to, but year 1 (and assuming he's not struggling or behind) it will really make zero difference to his future or education so I say go for it.

i agree with this

Please
or

LadyPenelope68 · 03/08/2022 14:37

@SuperPets
What new skills are being learned every day? Honestly wondering what you could be referring to by this?
a new maths skill, a new phonics sound, letter formation, the list is endless with new skills learnt daily in school at that age.

Please
or

bluesky45 · 03/08/2022 14:41

@haveringwavering I do supply because the workload of full time teaching is incompatible with my young family.

Please
or

HaveringWavering · 03/08/2022 14:42

I tell you what inevitably will happen.

"Mummy, Freddie wasn't here this week. Mrs Jones says he's gone on holiday. Why can't we go on holiday when school is on?"

"Because the school rule is that you should always go in unless you're sick".

"So Freddie is breaking the rules?"

"Well yes, but his Mummy has decided that it's OK to break that rule"

"Why do you make us follow the rules? Why aren't you like Freddy's Mummy? It's not faaaair."

This times 29. Cheers for that.

Please
or

LoveMuscle · 03/08/2022 14:43

I'd take him

Please
or

SuperPets · 03/08/2022 14:51

HaveringWavering · 03/08/2022 14:42

I tell you what inevitably will happen.

"Mummy, Freddie wasn't here this week. Mrs Jones says he's gone on holiday. Why can't we go on holiday when school is on?"

"Because the school rule is that you should always go in unless you're sick".

"So Freddie is breaking the rules?"

"Well yes, but his Mummy has decided that it's OK to break that rule"

"Why do you make us follow the rules? Why aren't you like Freddy's Mummy? It's not faaaair."

This times 29. Cheers for that.

It's not OP's fault if your children are annoying.

In my house it would be:
"mum, freddies not in school because they're on holiday"
"That's nice dear"
"Yes, I'll see them next week and they can tell me all about it"

Please
or

Bootothegoose · 03/08/2022 14:52

Take him and have a fantastic time.

I would personally take him at the later date but either way would be fine.

Please
or

SuperPets · 03/08/2022 14:53

LadyPenelope68 · 03/08/2022 14:37

@SuperPets
a new maths skill, a new phonics sound, letter formation, the list is endless with new skills learnt daily in school at that age.

Sorry, no. A new maths skill such as...what? Nothing that is only covered once and never brought up again. Nothing mum can't cover at home easily.

New skills aren't learnt daily at that age, if only because learning is not something you can measure it days at at age.

Please
or

Figgygal · 03/08/2022 14:56

Rudiculous thing to do at start of school year. Weve not had a foreign holiday simce 2017, also struggling to accept the costs of holidays in school holidays but respect the school and teachers too much to do what youre proposing

Please
or

YomAsalYomBasal · 03/08/2022 15:08

Another teacher here, I would take him out of school.

Please
or

system2319 · 03/08/2022 15:09

I have never taken my teen out of school for holidays but that is my own personal choice. Teen had a strop for about a week as she wanted to go away on holiday with her friend and family during term time. I even laughed when I was asked as we all knew what the answer would be!

Just remember to factor in the fine if you are advising the school of the holiday.

School normally find out as the child likes to tell their friends, some of the friends when asked will say they are 'sick' but then other friends will say 'on holiday'

Please
or

manlyago · 03/08/2022 15:10

Not to OP (as her child is younger) but speaking as a high school teacher - don’t expect your child’s teacher to give up time to get your child up to speed when you’ve taken them out during term time. I find that so entitled! Some parents genuinely seem to think we should give up break and lunch times to do so. Normally because we’re nice people and hate to see their child struggling we do. But it makes me mad when parents take my pupils away in term time for that exact reason. And no it’s not always “easy to catch up” in my subject.

Please
or

Ringmaster27 · 03/08/2022 15:14

Usually, I don’t object to term time holidays at all, especially when they are little. The cost of the fine is nothing compared to going during school holidays.
but as others have said, the tradition from reception to year 1 is a big one. And missing that first week of transition time could be quite detrimental when he does go back.

Please
or

SpiderinaWingMirror · 03/08/2022 15:19

I would go the end of September.

Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 03/08/2022 15:23

I would book the holiday.

We take our kids out most years for a family holiday. The price differential is extraordinary.

Please
or

CeltictigerMum · 03/08/2022 15:31

Jesus , so many arsey people on here. Ridiculous. Why do people get so uppity about someone else wanting to take THEIR OWN child out of school? There are nicer ways of saying things when you don't agree ! I think OP it's fine, but would leave it until the later date so he has a bit of time to settle in. I'd also take a couple of books for him to read and do some basic maths etc with him a few mins each day. You can incorporate maths games and English into every day hol activities. Enjoy yourselves !! X

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?