Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think 8.30am is an acceptable time for a child to play in the garden?

Theresamagicalplace · 07/05/2022 08:08

The tiny terrorist is on one this morning and I said to my partner it's fine we can get him out in garden in 20 mins or so to burn off the excess energy. He looked at me like I had two heads and told me anything before 10 or 10.30 on a weekend was unacceptable and would make us those neighbours. For context we have 2 attached neighbours both with babies or young children themselves and ours is only a toddler so plays relatively quietly (obviously not silently though). So aibu, am I accidentally the neighbour from hell?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Attictroll · 07/05/2022 09:00

8.30 - 9 but tbh let ds out at 8 this morning although one side have kids and I could hear the other side up ( semi detached)

Please
or

Sally090807 · 07/05/2022 09:01

Not before 9am.

Please
or

MRex · 07/05/2022 09:01

I don't remember DS making much noise at 18 months, how loud is he? He was only ever pottering with the water table, digging up mud with diggers, maybe learning to do weeding. With windows open at this time of year, we can hear the always-shouting little girl over the back, she's much quieter in the garden TBH.

It depends a lot on how often you're doing it and actual noise levels, as well as how loud your neighbours are. A one-off or quiet kid wouldn't matter, but if it's regular and very loud then 10am. DS only runs off energy in the garden with friends, so we'd have to take him out if that was the aim. If yours will run about though then as a one-off just chuck him outside whatever time, everyone will be fine.

Please
or

SparklingStars10 · 07/05/2022 09:02

Ours don’t go out until later now that they’re older but when they were all smaller, they’d go out around 10 at the weekend, we had neighbours who didn’t have children at that point and we have neighbours who have adult children the other side, so we tried to be considerate.

Please
or

Tortoisetroubles · 07/05/2022 09:02

My tenancy agreement says we are not allowed to make any noise (including hoovering or singing) between 11pm and 7am so I would consider 8:30am totally fine. Why do children have to be treated like their needs aren't important? Not to mention the parents losing their minds trapped in the house with toddler! Besides I always found the noise carries more in the house, worse having a toddler crashing round the house than pottering about in the garden. Are there quiet things for them to play with, cars, sand, etc? My neighbour wakes me up power hosing his drive and often his caravan at 7am on the dot every Saturday morning, before what feels like the entire neighborhood begin their weekend DIY and the drilling, hammering and mowing continues for the rest of the day. Do they stop to consider babies might be napping? Do they stop at 7pm when my baby's gone to bed, no that's when the evening barbeque and big kids on trampolines begins. I don't mean that everyone should be inconsiderate, just that your child's needs don't matter less than everyone else's, as long as he's not actually screaming and shouting constantly then carry on with your day because other people will definitely prioritise themselves anyway.

Please
or

Weirdwonders · 07/05/2022 09:02

My neighbours (‘those neighbours’) send their two out for a good full throated weekend scream at 8am sometimes and I cannot understand how anyone can be so ignorant. 9am at the earliest!

Please
or

WhiteFire · 07/05/2022 09:03

8.30 is fine.

Please
or

Lesperance · 07/05/2022 09:03

I think this is fine, you are probably generally good neighbours if you are even having this conversation in the first place, and I don't think one child playing on their own is going to be that loud.

Please
or

BeyondMyWits · 07/05/2022 09:04

My neighbours 7 year old was out at 8am playing basketball on their driveway between our 2 houses....

Thud thud thuud... bang (hitting our wall below our bedroom) thud, bang, "YAYYYYYYY" (in the basket?), thud thud thud thud thud bang...

Repeat... welcome to my summer....

Please
or

GabriellaMontez · 07/05/2022 09:04

If he'll quietly potter, thats fine. If you mean on a squeaky trampoline, screaming... just no.

Please
or

Vsirbdo · 07/05/2022 09:04

I’d say 9am really but 10/10.30 feels like half ways through the day for an early riser

Please
or

TokyoTen · 07/05/2022 09:07

Personally I'd be fine with 8:30am for neighbour's kids to be playing. I don't think I ever thought about it when mine were tiny (perhaps I was NFH and didn't know!) We did a have family with young children one side and an elderly couple the other side and one morning I saw the lady playing "pretend breakfast" over the fence. She was handling out cups of pretend tea and they were all drinking it so clearly she didn't mine either - lovely memory. Thankyou!

Please
or

Crumpetloveliness · 07/05/2022 09:11

I despair at how anti-children the UK is. OP if your neighbours have a problem with a toddler playing outside then I would not about their opinion to be honest.

Please
or

Crumpetloveliness · 07/05/2022 09:12

*care

Please
or

Bluepolkadots42 · 07/05/2022 09:12

Yabu 8.30 too early. From 9 acceptable, but would say from 9.30 is more conducive to good neighbourly relations. Take DC to park or playground if they need to be outside to play before 9.

Please
or

OneCup · 07/05/2022 09:17

10am I would say. Or go to the park early

Please
or

TheVanguardSix · 07/05/2022 09:18

It depends on your neighbours.
I've had the little rascals ready to scorch the earth play in the garden at the crack of. And although I'm years beyond all of that now and discussions are more along the lines of, "Mum, I'll bring you back a souvenir shot glass from Glasgow," kids in the garden at the crack of don't bother me in the least.

That said, as a weekend courtesy, I wouldn't allow them out until 10 am.
Though in my own case, my neighbours two doors down are turning their very ordinary terraced house into the Taj Mahal, as you do. 🙄When I heard the other neighbours' kids in the garden yesterday, I felt joy! It was just so fecking great hearing something other than a pneumatic drill!

Please
or

saleorbouy · 07/05/2022 09:23

0830 is acceptable but 0900 would make you a nicer neighbour!
Depends how considerate your neighbours are really.

Please
or

avocadotofu · 07/05/2022 09:24

I think 8:30 is totally fine!

Please
or

fairylightsandwaxmelts · 07/05/2022 09:25

OnceuponaRainbow18 · 07/05/2022 08:44

Our nursery let them go out to play at 8am- on a residential street!

But presumably that's not on the weekend@OnceuponaRainbow18 .

Please
or

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles · 07/05/2022 09:25

9:00 but give them a drum and a vuvuzela to play with.

Please
or

CheshireCats · 07/05/2022 09:28

9am earliest. 9.30am even better.

Please
or

Greyarea12 · 07/05/2022 09:28

I would say 10am. I was awoken at 8am with neighbours kids out the front (not for the first time) and it's slightly pissing me off.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 07/05/2022 09:29

9am weekend.
8am weekday.

This is for quiet playing. Loud shrieking... as late as possible. Basketballs on driveways complete ban.

Please
or

Mariposista · 07/05/2022 09:30

Better in the park if you have one nearby or for a ride on his scooter/bike

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.