Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think 8.30am is an acceptable time for a child to play in the garden?

Theresamagicalplace · 07/05/2022 08:08

The tiny terrorist is on one this morning and I said to my partner it's fine we can get him out in garden in 20 mins or so to burn off the excess energy. He looked at me like I had two heads and told me anything before 10 or 10.30 on a weekend was unacceptable and would make us those neighbours. For context we have 2 attached neighbours both with babies or young children themselves and ours is only a toddler so plays relatively quietly (obviously not silently though). So aibu, am I accidentally the neighbour from hell?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

NCforpictures · 07/05/2022 08:21

Depends on the noise, running around shrieking and bouncing on a trampoline etc after nine and even then have some consideration. Pottering around playing in sand table etc should be fine as no real noise

Please
or

Feckingfeck · 07/05/2022 08:22

Well you can legally start building work at 8.30 on a Saturday.... 🤷‍♀️ (many of our neighbours do!)

🤔 send him out to build? 😂

Please
or

Lancslass11 · 07/05/2022 08:22

9Am earliest

Please
or

OuchitHurtstoomuch · 07/05/2022 08:22

8:30 isn't horribly early but it would wake me up and piss me off

9:00 is ok but still a bit early

9:30 is better

10:00 is really good.

Depends what else is going on. If someone else is mowing their lawn or has noisy building works early then a noisy toddler isn't going to make any difference.

Please
or

Classicblunder · 07/05/2022 08:24

Depends where you live. If it's a really quiet area maybe it is too early, we live on a busy London street and there is loads of noise. My neighbours on one side routinely have parties in the garden until midnight, my neighbours on the other side are often in the garden shouting about their various conspiracy theories from 6 am.. no way I would stop my toddler from playing at 8:30!

Please
or

JurasicPerks · 07/05/2022 08:24

I'd go for 9am too for the garden.
The local park opens at 7am, and were were often found there first thing.

Please
or

OuchitHurtstoomuch · 07/05/2022 08:25

We had neighbours who let their kids out really early and they used to literally run outside screaming for about ten minutes then go back inside. Now that was annoying.

Please
or

Svara · 07/05/2022 08:25

9 for any laughing and squealing, otherwise 8 is fine. Cars start up in the street, I've put my washing out already with DS, and we were talking outside. Neighbours dog was barking at us so I don't know what it's owners were doing, that's worse than a toddler. A toddler playing alone is not excessive noise.

Please
or

Theresamagicalplace · 07/05/2022 08:26

Ok I am being unreasonable haha. I think my view is skewed because I'm usually at work on a Saturday so up and out by 7.30! He's only 18months so the letting him out with conditions to not make noise definitely wouldn't work 😂 and unfortunately I have bad SPD at the moment so park trips are normally when passing in the car for other reasons (really can't bring myself to drive there for just that when it's only a mile away!) Time to employ the emergency messy play indoors instead the since even cbeebies isn't cutting it today! Thanks for the opinions.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CanYouHearMeAtTheBack · 07/05/2022 08:26

Mine has just gone outside. He's non verbal though so not like he's going to be chattering/shouting. Would wait til later on a Sunday but we regularly have builders in our street from 8am on Saturdays so 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

Clymene · 07/05/2022 08:26

100Roses · 07/05/2022 08:10

Our house rule is 9 on a Saturday and 10 on a Sunday.

This was my rule too. Take them to the park if you can't wait that long

Please
or

Matildahoney · 07/05/2022 08:26

8.30 I'd be pissed, we enjoy the luxury of a lay in at the weekend! (Usually)

Please
or

SamphirethePogoingStickerist · 07/05/2022 08:28

I don't have kids. Don't like noisy neighbours. But I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a small child in the garden 8.30 on any day of the week!

With better weather coming you are going to use the garden more often, everyone is. Let him out!

Please
or

cadburyegg · 07/05/2022 08:28

I don't let my kids in the garden before 10am on weekends!

Please
or

TabithaHazel · 07/05/2022 08:29

During the week that’s fine but at the weekend I’d wait until 9/9:30. If he is ‘on one’ this morning he hardly going to be playing quietly outside. You neighbours are lucky your DH is more considerate than you :) Yes your neighbours might also have young children and already be up but that doesn’t mean they want to deal with the noise of your kid yet!

Please
or

SamphirethePogoingStickerist · 07/05/2022 08:31

cadburyegg · 07/05/2022 08:28

I don't let my kids in the garden before 10am on weekends!

????

Really? Or is that more of the MN virtue signalling, purity spiral madness?

Please
or

Billandben444 · 07/05/2022 08:32

When mine were little and noisy, I'd wait weekends until someone else's little darlings were out 'letting off steam' first!

Please
or

Svara · 07/05/2022 08:32

I think saying 10am of similar only works if people are also respectful of those who sleep say 10pm to 6am, and bring outdoor gatherings inside by 10pm at the latest. If neighbours are going to be noisy until midnight then it's fine to make the same level of noise at 8am.

Please
or

brokengoalposts · 07/05/2022 08:32

I'd be ok with that, but I sleep at the front, my back sleeping teenagers would be spitting fire though, ha ha!

Please
or

BreatheAndFocus · 07/05/2022 08:32

9.30am would be a lot better. On Sundays I go for 10am. That applies equally to children and people doing DIY or cutting their grass.

Please
or

Mummyoflittledragon · 07/05/2022 08:35

I live in a quiet neighbourhood. I can’t remember the time I used to let dd play outside from but it wasn’t earlier than 9 at the weekend, perhaps later.

Please
or

ThinkForAMinute · 07/05/2022 08:35

ZenKaleidoscope · 07/05/2022 08:12

How on earth do you keep a toddler entertained at home until 10:30?

I don't think 8:30 is too early at all.

The same way you would if there was a storm or blizzard outside.

Please
or

DressingGownofDoom · 07/05/2022 08:35

Depends if you have a screamer or not. I have a couple of screamers a few doors up who like to go on their trampoline and scream at the same time I'm putting the baby to bed every night.

Please
or

Siht · 07/05/2022 08:35

I'd say 9am at the very earliest. I have a baby and toddler and we're all often still asleep at 9am!

Please
or

YetAnotherCupOfTea · 07/05/2022 08:36

My neighbours all have similar aged children to me. When we moved here, we followed their lead, which seems to be 8.30 onwards outside at weekends.

Most of the master bedrooms in our cluster of houses are at the front of the house, so back garden noise doesn't really carry (according to DH who works shifts and doesn't get up in the morning)

Agree with pp that uncontrolled barking dogs are worse.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.