Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think 8.30am is an acceptable time for a child to play in the garden?

Theresamagicalplace · 07/05/2022 08:08

The tiny terrorist is on one this morning and I said to my partner it's fine we can get him out in garden in 20 mins or so to burn off the excess energy. He looked at me like I had two heads and told me anything before 10 or 10.30 on a weekend was unacceptable and would make us those neighbours. For context we have 2 attached neighbours both with babies or young children themselves and ours is only a toddler so plays relatively quietly (obviously not silently though). So aibu, am I accidentally the neighbour from hell?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

OceanAtTheEnd · 15/05/2022 09:22

Sorry, I should have linked. I'd scrolled past it on FB earlier. I notice about an article a week that I recognise from on here.

Please
or
Please
or

WildCoasts · 15/05/2022 07:08

OceanAtTheEnd · 14/05/2022 13:24

I see this story was picked up by a newspaper 🙄.

link?

Please
or

Hawkins001 · 14/05/2022 19:06

Mumwantingtogetitright · 14/05/2022 13:28

Good lord, have the newspapers not got anything more interesting to write about?

It is a common enough situation and it's good that it's being debated, is it not ?

Please
or

OceanAtTheEnd · 14/05/2022 14:43

Apparently not!

Please
or

Mumwantingtogetitright · 14/05/2022 13:28

Good lord, have the newspapers not got anything more interesting to write about?

Please
or

Please
or

Wipespoonpee007 · 14/05/2022 13:10

Young guy moved in next door to us about 5 months ago, has his 4 yr old daughter Weds to Sun. Lovely guy but.... He was waking up at 05.30 and getting his daughter up at the same time, then playing running around the house and her screeching away at the top of her voice, this went on for 30 mins and then total silence until the next day!! Let this go until i started to get headaches and waking up early waiting for the noise to start so i banged on the wall a few times until one day he banged back so i went round & had a word and he said "well she gets up early!!". woke up to find a note through the box with an apology which was really good of him. we spoke after and all was/is amicable but still to this day he's doing the same routine but between 07.15 & 08.15am which i still find unreasonable as wife works and im retired so im a 09.00 am. What does the mumsnet jury think as all comments god and bad are appreciated.

Please
or

Hearthfire · 13/05/2022 12:52

No your not being unreasonable, anyone here saying you are clearly hasn't had contractors round their house or on their street. In the UK you can legally start noisy work at 8am, no difference with kids. Only difference is I'd rather be woken up to the sound of kids playing than the sound of drills, strimmers, lawn mowers ect.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 12/05/2022 07:10

@Loopyloopy - agree. Ds isn’t noisy outside. He’s an only child, usually playing outside in the garden alone, so he isn’t running about with other children either. Just potters around with us digging, or in sandpit/ mud kitchen/ eating at table. He isn’t a loud child inside either.

Please
or

Loopyloopy · 12/05/2022 06:31

I don't understand this assumption that kids playing outside has to be noisy? If they were shrieking in the trampoline, that's one thing, but playing in the sandpit is another thing entirely . I'd far prefer to hear a little bit of talking / laughter etc than the power tools that start at 8am.

Please
or

FriedTomatoe · 11/05/2022 16:42

I had a similar issue a while ago with a neighbour expecting me to keep my DCs in the house until 930 am. I explained to her that as a single mother, I was doing my best, however we have a big garden and they like playing in it. I asked my children to keep the noise down in the morning. Now everyone's happy. I really struggle with the absolutes that mumsnet throws. Part of being neighbourly is about making compromises. 830 is that early.

Please
or

Tessasanderson · 11/05/2022 16:27

OnceAgainWithFeeling · 11/05/2022 16:16

Congratulations. My daughter does a lot of theatre shows that don’t finish till 10-10:30pm. she’s always hyper when she comes out, so I’ll just let her run about and scream and shout in the street when she gets home in future. I’ll let the neighbours know it’s fine.

Calm your horses please. I said the neighbours kids are bouncing around at 8am. My own are way too old and cool to be seen up at this time.

I just dont have an issue with kids wanting to play outside in the fresh air and if your kids want to play out at 10.30pm then thats fine with me. I dont go to bed until midnight and if i had an issue with noise effecting sleep i would use earplugs.

Kids have enough trouble these days being able to find places to play safely. Their own gardens shouldnt be subject to rules and regulations

Please
or

OnceAgainWithFeeling · 11/05/2022 16:16

Tessasanderson · 11/05/2022 12:36

Our day starts at 6.30am every day and i take the dogs out for a walk at about 7am each day. By 7.45am i am usually walking around the garden with a cup of coffee talking to the dogs and the plants. On a weekend i reckon the neighbours kids are bouncing around outside at 8am which is absolutely fine with me and kind of kickstarts the day.

There is no way i would ever restrict a child from fresh air and play regardless of the time of day.

Congratulations. My daughter does a lot of theatre shows that don’t finish till 10-10:30pm. she’s always hyper when she comes out, so I’ll just let her run about and scream and shout in the street when she gets home in future. I’ll let the neighbours know it’s fine.

Please
or

Sisisimone · 11/05/2022 13:54

And believe it or not some kids like to play in their garden at 6am... why does your need trump their's?

Lol. Spot the parent that gives not one single fuck for anyone else and believes their little darlings can make as much noise as they wish.

Me sleeping till 9am is an inconvenience to absolutely noone. Kids screaming in a garden at 6am however 🤔. Not that difficult to understand is it. That when you have neighbours at close proximity you should show just a little consideration

Please
or

Tessasanderson · 11/05/2022 12:36

Our day starts at 6.30am every day and i take the dogs out for a walk at about 7am each day. By 7.45am i am usually walking around the garden with a cup of coffee talking to the dogs and the plants. On a weekend i reckon the neighbours kids are bouncing around outside at 8am which is absolutely fine with me and kind of kickstarts the day.

There is no way i would ever restrict a child from fresh air and play regardless of the time of day.

Please
or

Kat1953 · 11/05/2022 11:57

Ahurricaneofjacarandas · 11/05/2022 11:15

And believe it or not some kids like to play in their garden at 6am... why does your need trump their's?

Why does their wish to play noisily outside trump someone's need for essential rest?

Please
or

OnceAgainWithFeeling · 11/05/2022 11:23

As a toddler my DD slept midnight till noon. She often needed to burn off energy after 9pm.

Amazingly I didn’t have her play in the garden at 11pm because it would disrupt others. 🙄

She’s still an owl now as a tween, but guess what, she’s not doing her drum practice at 10pm (which would suit her) because neighbours.

Please
or

Sisisimone · 11/05/2022 11:07

Well thankfully the 'nursery garden' isnt outside my bedroom window on a Sunday morning, that's why not 🙄Believe it or not some people like to recharge and have a bit of a lie in at the weekends

Please
or

Sisisimone · 11/05/2022 11:07

jewishmum · 11/05/2022 10:24

It's the time the children go out to play in the nursery garden so why not? Getting outside early is good for health.

Well thankfully the 'nursery garden' isnt outside my bedroom window on a Sunday morning, that's why not 🙄Believe it or not some people like to recharge and have a bit of a lie in at the weekends

Please
or

jewishmum · 11/05/2022 10:24

It's the time the children go out to play in the nursery garden so why not? Getting outside early is good for health.

Please
or

Undertheoldlindentree · 10/05/2022 22:08

9am seems reasonable for toddlers. But from 4ys to 10 11yrs ours had 8am swim lessons on Saturdays. So out of the house at 7.30am and home just before 10am with some of the bounce taken out of them. Really recommend if anything like that is on offer.

Please
or

Rolo1403 · 10/05/2022 22:01

@Mum198000

My toddler had a 6 month phase of sleeping 8pm untill 10/11am , so it is possible and I’d be pissed off if I heard kids in the garden at 830am as I’d lay in too when I could.

Please
or

surreygirl1987 · 10/05/2022 21:50

Ahurricaneofjacarandas · 10/05/2022 17:30

Well aren't you charming. I really hope you don't have your own kids if this is the way you view them.

OP please don't listen to this crap. I'll say it again, your kid is perfectly entitled to play in her own garden at whatever hour she wants especially if she isn't being excessively loud or obnoxious. I honestly don't know why you even needed to ask for stranger's permission to let her do this. Your daughter's entitlement to happiness and a normal childhood trumps a grownass adults's entitlement to hear no noise until midday. Please just let her be a kid

I thought the same thing. There are some nasty people around.

Please
or

surreygirl1987 · 10/05/2022 21:49

Or work shifts, or are ill.

This makes absolutely no sense. If someone is ill and in bed, they might be asleep at 2pm. Should we not use the garden then, just in case?? And many people do night shifts and sleep during the day. So should we not use the garden then either, in case that is the case? Talk sense!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.