Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ridiculous argument with neighbour

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:24

Maybe IABU. My dog only ever barks at cats, that's it. Never at other dogs or people.
So, new neighbours at the back recently moved in and have cats, they have them on leads and put them up against our fence.
When I let our dog out and he sees the cats through the fence he'll bark at them. I will then bring him in.
Neighbour saw me today and challenged me over the barking. He said it was annoying. I just said there wasn't much I could do, he's a dog and he barks at cats and I bring him in as soon as I hear him.
Neighbour then responds with, "but my cat doesn't make any noise". I just looked at him, and said, but he's a cat. He doesn't bark.
Neighbour then threatened to call the police if this carries on.
Am I really being unreasonable? I don't know what else I can do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pyri · 21/04/2022 15:25

Ummmm yes, put something up against the fence so your dog can’t see them OR teach your dog not to bark OR keep him in when they’re out there

Woofing dogs are a nuisance

From, a cat hating dog lover

Please
or

Hotcuppatea · 21/04/2022 15:25

Just to clarify, your neighbours tie their cats to fence with leads?

Have I got that right?

Please
or

daimbarsatemydogsbone · 21/04/2022 15:26

YANBU neighbour is a daft bastard. Who puts their cat outside on a lead? What a tool.

Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 21/04/2022 15:27

Does the fence belong to you? Are the cats tied to it?

Please
or

Elsiebear90 · 21/04/2022 15:27

You can’t completely stop a dog from barking, your neighbour is being ridiculous, our next door neighbours have dog it occasionally barks, our dog occasionally barks, it’s what dogs do, as long as you bring him in when he starts and he’s not doing it excessively then I don’t think the police will be interested.

Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 15:29

To avoid stress for your dog, cover the fence.

To avoid stress for you, just agree. 'You're going to call the police? OK then.' 'You find it annoying? OK.'

Please
or

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:30

They tie the leads around chairs outside.
My dog only barks if he sees tge cats, and I bring him in as soon as he starts, as it annoys me!

OP's posts:
Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 15:30

Is your neighbour doing this on purpose? Teasing your dog with their cats. So they have something to complain about.. because some people will try hard to do so.

Please
or

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:32

I thought about covering the fence, but they also climb the fence (long leads), and look down at my dog. The taunt him Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

CrotchetyQuaver · 21/04/2022 15:33

Your neighbour sounds weird

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 21/04/2022 15:34

Why do they have cats on leads?

Please
or

Sweetmotherofallthatisholyabov · 21/04/2022 15:34

you should 100% tell him his cars are taunting the dog, I feel it will follow the general logic of the conversation 😂

Please
or

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:35

No idea!

OP's posts:
Please
or

theemmadilemma · 21/04/2022 15:35

There's nothing more you can do. You're bringing the dog in as soon as the barking starts (as would I) so that's fine.

The police won't want to know. He could report a noise nusience but nothing will come of that either, since it's short lived, you intervene and stop it and it's not at unsociable hours (presumably). So nothing would come of that either.

I guess you could ask if they have a routine and avoid those times in the garden. That would piss me off though, so I would probably attempt to screen that part of the fence better to save us all hassle.

Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 15:37

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:32

I thought about covering the fence, but they also climb the fence (long leads), and look down at my dog. The taunt him Sad

Sounds like they are doing it on purpose. Utter twats.

Please
or

Memyselfandfood · 21/04/2022 15:37

YANBU neighbour is a daft bastard. Who puts their cat outside on a lead? What a tool.

You do realise some cats/animals can never roam freely? I’ve had several that due to needs would never be safe/comfortable being able to roam freely.
very happy being on leads in their own garden.
they like the exercise and enjoyment.

i would block the fence myself though.
why would i stress out my own pets 😐

Please
or

godmum56 · 21/04/2022 15:38

PriamFarrl · 21/04/2022 15:34

Why do they have cats on leads?

to stop them leaving the garden. Its stupid and dangerous as its possible for cats to get tangled in their own or other cats' leads and be killed or injured.

Please
or

Memyselfandfood · 21/04/2022 15:38

Yep. No sympathy.
my own thoughts are my pets, i’d never stress them out.
he’s not thinking of his pets here at all.

Please
or

WabbitsAndWeasels · 21/04/2022 15:38

People on here constantly complain about neighbouring cats using their gardens as toilets. This is a reasonable way to ensure cats don't do this if you can't cat proof a garden. I don't actually kind cats wandering if plenty of people on here do mind, it seems like a good compromise.

I'd also suggest blocking the view of the cats if possible. There's some reasonably cheap ways to do this by attaching things to the fence or growing some stuff in front of it. I can see why they might find this disturbing in more ways than noise, it could potentially feel threatening. I'm also a dog owner and would put things in place to prevent the dog being set off if it was only the sight of cats that was the issue. I don't think the police would be interested at the moment though it could if it escalated.

Please
or

water pistol

Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 15:39

Perhaps ask the neighbour what they would like you to do?

Please
or

comealongponds · 21/04/2022 15:40

YANBU

its a brief noise and you do something about it to stop it. barking dogs are annoying but a fact of life living with neighbours as long as it’s not excessive

Please
or

ladydimitrescu · 21/04/2022 15:41

"My cat doesn't make any noise"
"Cats don't bark"

One of the best things I've ever read on here 😂

Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 15:41

water pistol

Or one of those high pitch devices that are "meant to" deter cats.
I say "meant to", as my neighbour put some in their garden to deter mine going there. Cats were not bothered, but I was. Could easily hear it.

Please
or

Jalepenojello · 21/04/2022 15:43

Train your dog?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?