Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ridiculous argument with neighbour

257 replies

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:24

Maybe IABU. My dog only ever barks at cats, that's it. Never at other dogs or people.
So, new neighbours at the back recently moved in and have cats, they have them on leads and put them up against our fence.
When I let our dog out and he sees the cats through the fence he'll bark at them. I will then bring him in.
Neighbour saw me today and challenged me over the barking. He said it was annoying. I just said there wasn't much I could do, he's a dog and he barks at cats and I bring him in as soon as I hear him.
Neighbour then responds with, "but my cat doesn't make any noise". I just looked at him, and said, but he's a cat. He doesn't bark.
Neighbour then threatened to call the police if this carries on.
Am I really being unreasonable? I don't know what else I can do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rosehugger · 21/04/2022 16:11

Presumably your dog isn't outside for long enough for the barking to become a nuisance? Our dog only goes out in the garden when we're there or out for a pee. The neighbour tying the cats to the fence with leads is bonkers though.

Please
or

PupInAPram · 21/04/2022 16:13

Calling the police because a dog barks briefly 😂 I'm sure they'll send a SWAT team out straight away! They won't even come out for burglaries now. Your neighbour sounds like a loon.

Please
or

OctopusSay · 21/04/2022 16:14

On the face of it, it'll seems bonkers but it is more considerate than letting the cats roam in others' gardens.

The cats don't bark comments amusing but surely designed to antagonise.

It must be possible to train the dog not to bark?

Please
or

yellowsuninthesky · 21/04/2022 16:16

Well I am not a dog fan at all but your neighbour is being ridiculous. Dogs bark at cats, it's what they do, unless they decide they are friends and play with them (my mum has a neighbour with a cat who thinks it's a dog and plays with the neighbourhood dogs).

And who keeps a cat on a lead in the garden?

Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 16:17

It must be possible to train the dog not to bark

Dog owners don't have to train their dogs to do every ridiculous thing that the neighbours want them to, whether it's possible or not.

Please
or

Herejustforthisone · 21/04/2022 16:19

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:30

They tie the leads around chairs outside.
My dog only barks if he sees tge cats, and I bring him in as soon as he starts, as it annoys me!

He can threaten to phone the police all he wants, but I’d be phoning the RSPCA on that basis. Poor cats.

Please
or

fairylightsandwaxmelts · 21/04/2022 16:19

Your neighbour is an idiot, but in your shoes I would:

• block the fence so that your dog can't see through it
  • install trellis or anti-cat fencing so the cats can't climb over
  • shoot them with a water pistol if they try

And I say all of that as a dog and cat owner. Dogs will chase and bark at cats. Your dog is in his garden and not doing anything wrong - if the cat owners don't want their cats being barked at, they need to keep them indoors.
Please
or

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy · 21/04/2022 16:20

Let them call the police.

I think the police might have more pressing issues to deal with.

And who the hell ties their cats to garden furniture? Report them to the RSPCA.

Please
or

Offintothesunset · 21/04/2022 16:20

Ask the neighbour to meet you half way. I have blocked the dogs view from my side, can you make sure they don't jump on the fence.

Please
or

OctopusSay · 21/04/2022 16:20

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 16:17

It must be possible to train the dog not to bark

Dog owners don't have to train their dogs to do every ridiculous thing that the neighbours want them to, whether it's possible or not.

Stopping a dog barking in the garden on a regular basis isn't a ridiculous request.

Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 16:22

Stopping a dog barking in the garden on a regular basis isn't a ridiculous request.

OP stops it by bringing it indoors.

Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 16:24

Maybe if it is barking at nothing. This dog is barking at something though.

Please
or

Mumdiva99 · 21/04/2022 16:24

Cats definitely do taunt dogs. Mine do. They climb I'm the fence and sit there winding up the neighbours dog. The dog barks. If I have an issue with the noise I can bring the cat in. If they have an issue they can take the dog in. I'm not going to get annoyed about it. (Equally if my cats are stupid enough to go in the garden - which they tried - their dog will.run at the cats thinking it's the best game ever. The cats need to move quick.....

Please
or

LoveAllCakes · 21/04/2022 16:25

I can just imagine the scenario….

Police-Plodshire police, how can I help you?
CatMan-My neighbour’s dog is barking at my cat
P-yeah, sorry, nothing we can do about that
CM-but I pay your wages
P-I’m going to terminate this call now

Please
or

SamphirethePogoingStickerist · 21/04/2022 16:26

Your neighbour is insane.

He can cover his side of the fence, to protect his cats and his ears. He can take all to avoidant action he needs to. That's down to him.

You just need to keep on doing what you are doing.

Please
or

TabithaTittlemouse · 21/04/2022 16:27

Your neighbour is barking

Please
or

godmum56 · 21/04/2022 16:30

TabithaTittlemouse · 21/04/2022 16:27

Your neighbour is barking

boom tish!

Please
or

Dancer47 · 21/04/2022 16:32

PriamFarrl · 21/04/2022 15:34

Why do they have cats on leads?

To stop them getting run over
To stop them killing birds
to keep them in your own garden
IT'S NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE

Please
or

Kat1953 · 21/04/2022 16:32

It's cruel to keep cats tied up when they're being barked at. They'll find it stressful and be unable to get away.

They need to build the cats a catio of they want them to have contained access to the outside. Cats need to be able to escape easily and tieing them is so cruel.

Yanbu

Please
or

10HailMarys · 21/04/2022 16:32

Ummmm yes, put something up against the fence so your dog can’t see them OR teach your dog not to bark OR keep him in when they’re out there

Why should the OP have to make the change? Why can't the neighbours keep their cats in when the OP's dog is out there? Why can't they put something up against the fence, if it bothers them? Maybe they could 'teach' their cats not to sit on top of the fence winding up the OP's dog?

The neighbours are entitled to tie their cats on long leads to garden chairs if they want to (although frankly that doesn't seem like the safest way to exercise a cat - if another cat gets in and decides to start a fight, their cats are going to be tangled up in leads and unable to run away, for a start). But if their cats are going to be constantly peering through the fence or sitting on top of it, obviously that's going to wind up a dog and the neighbours need to accept that.

Please
or

BrightOrangeOrange · 21/04/2022 16:32

Jalepenojello · 21/04/2022 15:43

Train your dog?

Train the cats not to jump on the fence and taunt the dog?

The neighbour is being unreasonable.

Please
or

DameHelena · 21/04/2022 16:32

If the neighbour wants your dog not to bark at cats, tell him he can a) not tether his cats so they can't move out of the dog's view and/or b) get some sort of plant or fencing to block their views of each other. It's not up to the OP to pay for and sort out planting/fencing.
And tell him to crack on and call the police. They could probably do with the laugh.

Please
or

Watchkeys · 21/04/2022 16:33

Gosh.

Please
or

CorsicaDreaming · 21/04/2022 16:35

It sounds like the neighbour is spoiling for a fight, but surely the easiest solution is for him to tie them up on the OTHER side of his garden so away from your dog.

Could you just suggest that to him as a win-win solution?

It seems doubly unfair if he's just moved in and isn't trying to "fit in" with the existing neighbourhood. What a plonker 🙄

Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 16:35

Cat on lead freaks out and strangles itself.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?