Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ridiculous argument with neighbour

257 replies

KindleAndCake · 21/04/2022 15:24

Maybe IABU. My dog only ever barks at cats, that's it. Never at other dogs or people.
So, new neighbours at the back recently moved in and have cats, they have them on leads and put them up against our fence.
When I let our dog out and he sees the cats through the fence he'll bark at them. I will then bring him in.
Neighbour saw me today and challenged me over the barking. He said it was annoying. I just said there wasn't much I could do, he's a dog and he barks at cats and I bring him in as soon as I hear him.
Neighbour then responds with, "but my cat doesn't make any noise". I just looked at him, and said, but he's a cat. He doesn't bark.
Neighbour then threatened to call the police if this carries on.
Am I really being unreasonable? I don't know what else I can do?

OP posts:
Please
or

CorsicaDreaming · 21/04/2022 16:36

@XenoBitch

Cat on lead freaks out and strangles itself.
Yes but he is already tying them up!
Please
or

BrightonBunny · 21/04/2022 16:37

Yes I would block off the fence so your dogs are not getting stressed seeing the cats through there. That will minimise the impact a lot I would have thought?

Please
or

LakieLady · 21/04/2022 16:38

SleeplessInEngland · 21/04/2022 15:53

I'd be amused to hear the police response if he/she actually rang them.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I think the OP should ask the neighbour to record the call when he phones it in, so the OP can hear the police response and share it with us.

Please
or

zingally · 21/04/2022 16:39

If your dog is stressed by the cats (and that's why they bark, it's a stress thing), then it's your job as a responsible dog owner to either put something up so he can't see through the fence, or train him not to bark at cats.

Please
or

FateHasRedesignedMost · 21/04/2022 16:40

You need to train your dog not to bark at their cats. He sounds annoying and noisy and badly trained. Cats roam outdoors and climb trees and fences, they’re in their own garden!

How would you feel if they had a dog who barked at yours whenever he stepped outside?

Please
or

Franklyfrost · 21/04/2022 16:41

Your dog should be quiet at night, cats or no cats, because that way your neighbours can sleep. Its a ridiculous question to ask.

Please
or

10HailMarys · 21/04/2022 16:44

It must be possible to train the dog not to bark**

In this particular situation, almost certainly not. There are limits.

Please
or

JudgeJ · 21/04/2022 16:44

PriamFarrl · 21/04/2022 15:34

Why do they have cats on leads?

No way would my cat have stood for that! He was a little devil for crouching under the hedge in the front garden then leaping out when a dog came by, so many dog walkers crossed the road before our house.
Years ago, a different cat, we lived next door to the breeders of salukis and, because of the slope of the land, there was a low wall at the side of our house that was level with the roof of their enclosure, the cat loved to lie along the wall in the sun doing nothing but the dogs weren't happy, being a highly strung breed to begin with.

Please
or

Prettypussy · 21/04/2022 16:45

Yes, cats will deliberately taunt a dog that they know can't reach them. My cat used to go to the neighbours and deliberately sit in front of the glass door with the dog the other side. She also used to sit about 2 feet away from the reach of the next doors dog when they tied him up (always licking her bottom with leg in the air) while the dog went crazy! So, if the cats know your dog can't reach them on the fence they could well sit there smugly while her barks away!

Please
or

10HailMarys · 21/04/2022 16:46

Your dog should be quiet at night, cats or no cats, because that way your neighbours can sleep. Its a ridiculous question to ask.

Where does it say the dog is barking at night?! It's barking when the neighbours have tied their cats on leads in the garden to exercise them, not when the neighbours are asleep.

Please
or

DameHelena · 21/04/2022 16:46

Who said anything about it being at night?

Please
or

XenoBitch · 21/04/2022 16:46

Where did OP say that their dog was barking at night?

Please
or

MaisyMary77 · 21/04/2022 16:49

Poor cats! Tethering them with a lead sounds cruel. They need to get a catio, at least then the cats could jump around without getting tangled.

Please
or

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow · 21/04/2022 16:50

You all know dogs can still smell cats even if they can’t see them? And cats bloody love taunting dogs.(mine likes to stand at the door staring at the dog when she has a dentistik. He doesn’t want the dentistik, but he likes making the dog think he does)
The man is an utter fuckwit btw.

Please
or

ForeverLooking · 21/04/2022 16:51

Cats tied up with leads is frankly ridiculous and asking for an accident, especially if the cats are jumping up onto fences. If the neighbour is worried about straying you can get all kinds of catios, even special pop up mesh tents so the cats can move around safely. Hey, but they are his cats and it's his choice.
If its your fence you can attach rollers or narrow trellis to make it impossible for the cats to sit on top. I hate the spike strips and wouldn't do that. If they sit in one place can you possibly put up something like a patio umbrella so your dog can't see the top of the fence with them sitting on it? Or screen with tall plants?

Please
or

HoppingPavlova · 21/04/2022 16:53

I’m all for cats staying in their own yards (and shitting in their own yards), but it sounds really dangerous if the cats can jump up on to the fence. If they jumped down your side, could they not hang themselves on the lead, or get attacked by your dog with no avenue of escape due to the leads? Doesn’t seem like a well thought through plan of containing the cats.

Please
or

BrightOrangeOrange · 21/04/2022 16:57

HoppingPavlova · 21/04/2022 16:53

I’m all for cats staying in their own yards (and shitting in their own yards), but it sounds really dangerous if the cats can jump up on to the fence. If they jumped down your side, could they not hang themselves on the lead, or get attacked by your dog with no avenue of escape due to the leads? Doesn’t seem like a well thought through plan of containing the cats.

Yes I agree, it doesn't seem very safe at all.

I feel sorry for the cats and the poor dog too, the neighbour is an idiot.

Please
or

Staffy1 · 21/04/2022 17:02

Put something against the fence, or plants, to cover it. If the cats then climb the fence and look down it’s up to the neighbour to get them off the fence or put up with the barking.

Please
or

swimlyn · 21/04/2022 17:03

Please
or

Maydaysoonenough · 21/04/2022 17:07

Install some motion sensor sprinklers near your fencing. He will have to keep the dcats away then.
And if my calculations are correct the ddog wil set them off getting just revenge on furry beasts!!
And hopefully ndn.

Please
or

JoodHood · 21/04/2022 17:09

Please
or

tkwal · 21/04/2022 17:09

Put a movement activated water sprinkler close to the fence ? Buy yourself a supersoaker ?

Please
or

emmyren4 · 21/04/2022 17:12

You need to train your dog not to bark at their cats. He sounds annoying and noisy and badly trained. Cats roam outdoors and climb trees and fences, they’re in their own garden! 

How would you feel if they had a dog who barked at yours whenever he stepped outside?

@FateHasRedesignedMost

Lol. You do know that dogs are territorial and have a prey drive, right? Trying to train a dog not to bark when he feels a cat is encroaching is about as useful as telling a cat not to chase birds. You can only fight nature to a finite extent.

OP, pic of the neighbours' cat on the roof of a shed, tormenting my dog. It is literally rolling its eyes at him as it knows it's way faster and way smarter than he is

Ridiculous argument with neighbour
Please
or

MrOllivander · 21/04/2022 17:14

My cat torments dogs. I don't moan when they then bark!
He saunters down the garden until passing dog is going mad then spits at them. The Rottweiler hides behind its owner now Blush

Please
or

WiddlinDiddlin · 21/04/2022 17:14

Jalepenojello · 21/04/2022 15:43

Train your dog?

Oh what a good idea, and how does the OP do that, snap her fingers and instantly it's done - do tell how?

Do you actually know how? I do find people like to blurt that out, as if no one ever thought of it before and as if it can be done instantly... with no actual clue as to how it would be done or what would be involved.

It would involve first, preventing the dog from seeing the cat most of the time.

This could be done by covering the fence (I would, as this is likely to be a long term issue) and if it is the OP's fence, put an inward overhang on it so the dog cannot jump over or get anywhere near reaching the top, but of a construction that doesn't allow the cat to walk on it, stock fencing would do.

You can also achieve this by only doing supervised garden trips, dog dragging a long line from a harness (never from a collar, that's dangerous).

Next, reward the ever loving crap out of the dog every time they see the cat, don't wait for the dog to bark or if the dog is barking, don't ask them to shut up or wait for them to stop. Just drop bits of sausage in front of them/shove it in their mouth (ideally get in there before barking occurs).

The point is to create a positive association between sight of cat and nice things from owner, whilst preventing barking from becoming a habit (barking is fun, its also rewarded if the cat goes away, double whammy of reinforcement).

The positive association means the barking eventually fades out, as the barking is an emotional response to suddenly seeing a cat.

The long line means you can remove the dog swiftly without chasing or shouting, if the dog is too overwhelmed to take the treats.

Counter conditioning folks - it works, but it is tedious and it does require management too. And not overnight!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?