Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not have bought my team easter eggs..

324 replies

M00cow · 15/04/2022 08:00

Hello,

I have recently had a promotion at work and now line manage 6 others. The increase in pay only works out to be about £8 a day compared to a big increase in workload/responsibility (I say that because its hardly like im suddenly earning a fortune). I have also only been in this role for 2 weeks so haven't even received my first payslip yet.

However, i have had several comments from my team this week about Easter eggs...pointing out that other managers had bought their staff one and when was I going to do the same. Some of these comments came across really sarky and it has made me feel quite bad for not buying any! It hadn't even crossed my mind tbh and money is tight at the best of times.

I suppose my AIBU is am I being mean for not buying a team of adults (older than myself) an Easter egg when I'm very newly in this role? Or do they need to grow up? Half tempted to go to the shops now and try to pick something up for tuesday because I feel guilty!

Thoughts please

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Namechangeforthis88 · 15/04/2022 08:04

I have never been given an Easter egg by a line manager or any other colleague. I'd think they were slightly mad. You're not in the wrong.

Please
or

littleblackno · 15/04/2022 08:07

They need to grow up.
I manage a team and took some Easter cakes in the office this week but noone would have commented or cared if I didn't.
I have never been bought an Easter egg by a manager (that I can recall)
Congratulations on your promotion.

Please
or

Fimofriend · 15/04/2022 08:08

They are being weird and childish.

Please
or

Mano2020 · 15/04/2022 08:12

I mean in your situation i would understand but i am office based and we always get a small easter egg each for easter and a pack of chocolates on christmas by my manager every year but we have never asked.

Please
or

Bettyboop3 · 15/04/2022 08:15

I bought my team chocolate, £1 each in Tesco. Everyone likes to feel appreciated.

Please
or

Mumdiva99 · 15/04/2022 08:17

If the company culture is that managers buy their team an egg then you are being a little bit unreasonable. The goodwill you will get for spending £6-10 on some eggs might well be worth it. (I appreciate that isn't nothing to you.....but still think it worth it.)

Please
or

Dimenw · 15/04/2022 08:17

Never been bought, or bought anyone, an Easter egg at work. You work with some very strange (and slightly nasty) people. You need to squash this, before you end up running round trying to please your team. I suspect they are testing the new manager to see how much they can get away with. Like young children testing boundaries. You need to be friendly but firm, laugh it off as a ridiculous or cheeky suggestion.
"Hahahaha no, I have not bought you an Easter egg. I don't even buy any for my own children I'm so mean."

Please
or

tanstaafl · 15/04/2022 08:17

Harsh perhaps but if you’re worrying about this, how are you going to cope with actual people management issues like redundancy, hiring, performance reporting, discipline?

Please
or

fairylightsandwaxmelts · 15/04/2022 08:19

I don't know.

If the workplace culture is that managers always buy an Easter Egg and all the other managers did so, I can kind of see their point.

I'm not saying it's a "thing" that makes sense but I can kind of see where they're coming from if they've always received something and everyone else got a token egg except them.

It's not about the egg as such - it's about what it means (thank you for your hard work).

Please
or

Ikeptgoing · 15/04/2022 08:19

@littleblackno

They need to grow up.
I manage a team and took some Easter cakes in the office this week but noone would have commented or cared if I didn't.
I have never been bought an Easter egg by a manager (that I can recall)
Congratulations on your promotion.

This ^^

Never once been bought an Easter egg by a supervisor or manager. It's a Christian religious event. Your team are members who sulked are being spoilt and childish. Fgs you haven't even been a manager for 2 weeks yet..! And no it is not usual to give out Easter eggs.

At Christmas on occasion some of our higher up managers buy a tub of celebrations (£4 worth) for the whole office, but it is not expected and it isn't a Christmas gift it's a Thankyou as run up to Christmas and crises that happen over those days is hard going so here's some chocolates to keep you going, type of treat.
Please
or

M00cow · 15/04/2022 08:20

@tanstaafl

Harsh perhaps but if you’re worrying about this, how are you going to cope with actual people management issues like redundancy, hiring, performance reporting, discipline?

Thanks for all the replies

Very good point. I know I do need to toughen up a bit. I am only 24 (not an excuse I know) and this is my first management role so still lots to learn (including workplace easter etiquette apparently)
OP's posts:
Please
or

YellowAndGreenToBeSeen · 15/04/2022 08:20

Multi bag of mini eggs or a Crème Egg type thing on each desk wouldn’t have cost much, is a nice gesture and buys goodwill. I’d have bought the eggs.

Please
or

shazzer1978 · 15/04/2022 08:21

I don’t even like chocolate but I appreciated an Easter egg and a little thank you note from my line manager.

Please
or

Grumpsy · 15/04/2022 08:21

I have a team of 8, have never bought them Easter eggs, it’s not really part of the culture in our company though. And I do usually buy them all a nice bottle of wine at Christmas as a thankyou

Please
or

AlmostAJillSandwich · 15/04/2022 08:22

Based on the several stores i was in yesterday, (tesco, asda, morrisons) all that is left is the really expensive ones now.

Please
or

cherrysthename · 15/04/2022 08:23

Bloody hell the only time I've ever been bought an Easter egg by anyone other than family was at choir practice 20 years ago and it was a creme egg. Never in a work setting 😂. Maybe put a pack of mini eggs in the canteen or something, at a push.

Please
or

TheLadyDIdGood · 15/04/2022 08:24

I'd have bought them the Easter eggs as part of my relationship building exercise with the new team. A little bit of thought and appreciation goes a long way particularly if there are changes to be made.

A former manager of mine made a big declaration at the lunch we organised for her on her first day. She declared that she wasn't there to make friends & although the lunch was nice, it wasn't necessary. She didn't last a year because the big bosses realised their mistake in hiring her. Her management style was combat mode, loud, thoughtless & argumentative. Plus she was a liar who covered her own mistakes.

Please
or

rookiemere · 15/04/2022 08:24

I might have been bought the odd creme egg on occasion, but certainly not a big egg.

If you want to curry favour get them all an advent calendar for December. You can get them £3 for 3 if you buy early enough and means they think kindly of you for an entire month.

Please
or

IhateJan22 · 15/04/2022 08:24

One of the other teams at work did this, they all bought for each other and manager. I was really surprised, I hadn’t done it for my own team and I don’t intend to get into that habit. I buy something at Xmas and a bottle of wine for birthdays. I ain’t starting on Easter as well.

Please
or

SpiderinaWingMirror · 15/04/2022 08:26

Everywhere I have worked in an office, Easter Egg arrived. Sometimes by the company, sometimes I bought them for the team. Often the team would by me one.
I kinda miss that.

Please
or

PinkiOcelot · 15/04/2022 08:28

I bought my team an Easter egg. They didn’t expect it and were very grateful. The eggs were £3 each in Tesco so I didn’t spend a fortune.

Please
or

Bloballbovish · 15/04/2022 08:28

If you've been promoted, were you on their level previously, and did the manager get you an egg?

You shouldn't have to do this, but I do understand how it can be better to keep in with workplace rituals like this. The only thing is, it only takes one or two managers to do something new or extra special and this sort of thing can easily escalate.

I wouldn't worry about brining something in late on Tuesday though. The moment has passed. I think it's something to be aware of in the future. maybe if you're friendly with some of the other managers you could ask what other traditions they have - better ask about staff birthdays in case you're about to miss someone's birthday and you're expected to bring cakes or whatever.

Please
or

Mouk · 15/04/2022 08:28

They are acting like entitled children. Senior management where I work will sometimes randomly deliver donuts or pastries which is nice, but it's never expected.

Please
or

Wahey1980 · 15/04/2022 08:28

YANBU, (better to remember them at Christmas). Sounds like they don't have to work a quiet bank holiday either!

One year we got a cadburys creme egg! Grin you could always do that! It's only the real commercial of places that tot them out.

My current work place, lord knows how they were going to police it, decided only permanent staff were entitled to an egg and I think you had to be present to pick it up, awkward! I really actually couldn't be bothered once I heard the policy, so please don't waste your money.

Please
or

TheKeatingFive · 15/04/2022 08:31

The goodwill you will get for spending £6-10 on some eggs might well be worth it.

I agree with this

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?