Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Deeply concerned about Child Safety in Bristol

1000 replies

MatthewJTaylor · 07/04/2022 21:28

From May 5th to May 8th 2022, the Tobacco Factory Theatres in Bristol is having performances of "The Family Sex Show".
This show is aimed at children 5 years old and up.
The performers involved get naked.
The discussion with the children is on sex, sexuality and sexual pleasure.

I cannot imagine brining a 5 year old child to a theatre where people will to to her/him about sex and show their naked bodies to her/him.

Am I the crazy one?

Sources:
The Family Sex Show website
Listing at The Tobacco Factory Theatres

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1733 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
JayAlfredPrufrock · 07/04/2022 22:02

I was ‘forced’ to watch Naked Attraction last week.

I’m 62. I’m still having nightmares.

bellamountain · 07/04/2022 22:03

Surely this is a police matter? Why on earth would it be allowed?

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 07/04/2022 22:03

@FuckeryOmbudsman

It's taking the school PSHE curriculum for that age group and turning it into a show for families.

Those who think it's outrageous/grooming, do you actually know what is on that age group's curriculum and how your school delivers it?

Yes.

They talk about bodies and they are not naked when they do it. My ten year old has just had the puberty talk which only talked about sex and relationships briefly.
Lockheart · 07/04/2022 22:04

@bellamountain

Surely this is a police matter? Why on earth would it be allowed?

Oooh please call the police! Can you record it and put it up on YouTube? I could use a laugh...
Goawayangryman · 07/04/2022 22:05

@FuckeryOmbudsman the RSHE curriculum guidance does categorically not advocate teaching about sexual pleasure at the age of 5. Pants rule, bodily autonomy etc, yep, all fine. This does not appear to be that. And I am super liberal. I find it very disingenuous also that the content is still apparently being crafted. What a load of crap. Any educational think like this should start from clear principles and be able to say at the very least what will, and will not be, covered.

Lockheart · 07/04/2022 22:06

I think you're misreprenting a tad..

Not quite, it's aimed at all ages from 5+.

The performers involved get naked.

At one point for a couple of minutes if they feel comfortable (this is explicitly stated, if you'll pardon the pun, in the FAQs).

The discussion with the children is on sex, sexuality and sexual pleasure.

It's a theatre show, there are no sit down chats with the children.

LittleSnakes · 07/04/2022 22:06

Why on earth would I want my child seeing other grown ups naked?

Bellyups · 07/04/2022 22:06

How can this be allowed?

Dinosauria · 07/04/2022 22:07

I can't access the link.

Lockheart · 07/04/2022 22:08

*Not quite, it's aimed at all ages from 5+.

This should have said adults and children from 5+ i.e. a family show. There's no specific targeting of small children.

veronicagoldberg · 07/04/2022 22:08

Groomy as fuck.

Howmanydaysuntilfriday · 07/04/2022 22:08

I just threw up in my mouth.

titchy · 07/04/2022 22:11

@Lockheart

*Not quite, it's aimed at all ages from 5+.

This should have said adults and children from 5+ i.e. a family show. There's no specific targeting of small children.

Yeah cos parents always take their 5 year olds to adult theatre shows don't they? Hmm Groomy as fuck.
vinoandbrie · 07/04/2022 22:11

Revolting.

YouCantTourniquetTheTaint · 07/04/2022 22:13

Fucking hell, no that is not appropriate for 5 year olds. If they cannot perform this show in schools then it's not appropriate for school age children. Their FAQ's say its about the curriculum, bollocks is it, it's because schools don't want a bunch of weirdos prancing about in the nuddy.

Why would grown adults even want to take their kit off in front of children? It's fucking weird.

I sincerely hope that this is picked up by the media.

Goawayangryman · 07/04/2022 22:13

And pronoun self-obsessed look at meeee bollocks as well for good measure. Still, it'll appeal to all the anti-vaxxing herbal sorts down that way.

OutingHobby · 07/04/2022 22:13

Who decided this would be a good idea?

LittleWhingingWoman · 07/04/2022 22:15

Why are they getting naked? Wtf!!!!

partystress · 07/04/2022 22:15

I would challenge PPs to show where pegging comes in the RSE curriculum for 5 year olds.

Or ‘TERF’, which is helpfully included in the glossary, just in case we were in any doubt about this group’s intentions.

They can just FOTHFSOFAFOSM with their queering and cissing. If any public money is going into this, it’s a fucking outrage when huge numbers of children are arriving at school hungry.

Goawayangryman · 07/04/2022 22:15

Nudity in front of kids I have no fundamental problem with. But putting it in a theatre and saying look at me on the stage all nekked.... No ta

garlicandsapphires · 07/04/2022 22:16

It reminds me of Legz Akimbo in the League of Gentlemen!

FuckeryOmbudsman · 07/04/2022 22:16

[quote Goawayangryman]@FuckeryOmbudsman the RSHE curriculum guidance does categorically not advocate teaching about sexual pleasure at the age of 5. Pants rule, bodily autonomy etc, yep, all fine. This does not appear to be that. And I am super liberal. I find it very disingenuous also that the content is still apparently being crafted. What a load of crap. Any educational think like this should start from clear principles and be able to say at the very least what will, and will not be, covered.[/quote]
That's not exactly right. Primary schools can cover sexual pleasur e(and it's an answer teachers need to have, because they need to deal with any and every question that comes up, including 'why on watch wouid anyone want to do that?') but it is not a requirement.

That's why I asked if you knew what your school covers - because it varies, and unless you post the name of your school, no I can't enlighten you.

There are aspects which are required (science curriculum) and other aspects which are optional, and covered by the same age-specific guidance as this show

Schools are required to have a policy that will tell parents how far they go, and parents have the right to withdraw pupils from all but the science curriculum.

But do pause and ask yourself - why wouldn't I want my DC to have age appropriate information? Why is it different/worse in a theatre than in a classroom? Am I the one who would find it difficult/embarrassing? How do I handle questions about relationships, bodies and sex?

FOJN · 07/04/2022 22:18

Who decided this would be a good idea?

Whenever groomy bullshit like this comes up you can bet your bottom dollar if you dig deep enough there will be MAP's backing it to the hilt. It's normalising the idea of children as sexual beings and adult nudity (not family members) in front of children.

Just waiting for someone to pop in and tell us all to unclench.
Unclench can fuck off.

LittleSnakes · 07/04/2022 22:19

I sincerely hope that this is picked up by the media it has been picked up according to their website and got great reviews.

Clymene · 07/04/2022 22:19

A fun and silly performance about the painfully AWKWARD subject of sex

Adults talking to tiny children about sex is the G word. 5 years olds don't need to know about sex.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.