Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Deeply concerned about Child Safety in Bristol

1000 replies

MatthewJTaylor · 07/04/2022 21:28

From May 5th to May 8th 2022, the Tobacco Factory Theatres in Bristol is having performances of "The Family Sex Show".
This show is aimed at children 5 years old and up.
The performers involved get naked.
The discussion with the children is on sex, sexuality and sexual pleasure.

I cannot imagine brining a 5 year old child to a theatre where people will to to her/him about sex and show their naked bodies to her/him.

Am I the crazy one?

Sources:
The Family Sex Show website
Listing at The Tobacco Factory Theatres

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1733 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
closetmeupandshootmetotheskies · 10/04/2022 03:12

OP, April Fools was last week. This is a late one, right?

This shit is grooming. Nothing more. Nothing less. Grooming, and worse, enabled and supported by parents gagging to be on right side of histoREEEEEEEE.

Datun · 10/04/2022 06:10

@FemaleAndLearning

I think the response up thread for Norfolk is very disingenuous. Children will be taught the names of random body parts but not know which body they belong to as all the language is desexed and only talks about people. People with vulvas, people with a penis. Children need clear language about their own body and their body parts and the body parts of the opposite sex. The gender ideology running through the show is ridiculous.

I'm very sceptical these circumstances so I googled 'egg'. Top hit from the urban dictionary:

Egg
Trans slang for a person who hasn't realized they're trans yet. Usually they show telltale behavior of a trans person despite not knowing, like 'ironically' crossdressing or writing shitty fanfiction about trans people. The word comes from the idea that they haven't "cracked out of their shell", like an egg.Some egg in my drama class just asked me what bottom surgery is."

Hmmm.
Datun · 10/04/2022 06:11

*in these circumstances

LunaLights · 10/04/2022 06:47

Interesting definition under the circumstances, Datun…

YetAnotherSpartacus · 10/04/2022 07:29

The Mallard is a conservative Christian publication. The OP was not initially forthcoming about that. The OP has never been forthcoming about his background or political allegiances.

Yet, in the article about the Family Sex Show the authors says,

We also have riled up over 800 Bristolian mothers on Mumsnet who have taken this story to the Daily Mail, started a petition, and are boycotting the theatre. Grown adults are being paid to strip in front of little children, in UK theatres, funded by the National Lottery and Arts Council England. Bristol’s Tobacco Factory Theatres want your money!

I can't help feeling somewhat used and without my consent.

Yes, we can ally with Christian organisations (although I prefer not to personally) but I prefer to do so knowingly and not suddenly be quoted in a way that might imply that I agree with positions that I absolutely do not. Plus, this gives those in the TRA movement ammunition.

My advice is to proceed with caution.

OnlyTheTitosaurusOfTheIceberg · 10/04/2022 07:53

Why do people have to trigger warn about right wing press? Surely readers can make those decisions for themselves.

How do you make a decision for yourself if you don’t have the full facts of what you’re deciding about?

TRAs are working hard to present the case that anyone fighting for women’s rights is a Christian right-wing fundamentalist. As a politically homeless left-wing atheist, I prefer to know who I’m allying myself with. I’m grateful to the OP for highlighting this show, which I may not have seen otherwise, because regardless of political leanings it’s a child safeguarding nightmare. But I would prefer to know upfront who I may or may not be allying myself with, and what my allyship may be used to say that I did not intend, so the OP was also disingenuous in not declaring their position.

Redskiesatnight · 10/04/2022 07:56

This reply has been deleted

This post has been hidden until the MNHQ team can have a look at it.

Redskiesatnight · 10/04/2022 07:57

This reply has been deleted

This post has been hidden until the MNHQ team can have a look at it.

FOJN · 10/04/2022 08:01

I can't help feeling somewhat used and without my consent.

Yes, we can ally with Christian organisations (although I prefer not to personally) but I prefer to do so knowingly and not suddenly be quoted in a way that might imply that I agree with positions that I absolutely do not. Plus, this gives those in the TRA movement ammunition.

This neatly sums up the issue about the OP's motives. I did suspect we were being harnessed as reinforcements to serve someone else's agenda. I do believe this is a serious safeguarding issue so I wouldn't stay silent just because I may disagree with OP on other issues but I don't appreciate the cynical exploitation and lack of honesty.

I'm less concerned about it giving TRA's ammunition because everything women do is ammunition to them.

stimpyyouidiot · 10/04/2022 08:02

[quote LangClegsInSpace]@stimpyyouidiot it's on this page, click on 'Creating a safe environment'.

learning.nspcc.org.uk/safeguarding-child-protection/for-performing-arts[/quote]
Thank you!

YetAnotherSpartacus · 10/04/2022 08:11

I'm less concerned about it giving TRA's ammunition because everything women do is ammunition to them

Yes, but it is who else they might convince with the ammunition.

How do you make a decision for yourself if you don’t have the full facts of what you’re deciding about?

TRAs are working hard to present the case that anyone fighting for women’s rights is a Christian right-wing fundamentalist. As a politically homeless left-wing atheist, I prefer to know who I’m allying myself with. I’m grateful to the OP for highlighting this show, which I may not have seen otherwise, because regardless of political leanings it’s a child safeguarding nightmare. But I would prefer to know upfront who I may or may not be allying myself with, and what my allyship may be used to say that I did not intend, so the OP was also disingenuous in not declaring their position

Exactly. And this is partly about consent in that one argument made is that children are not actively consenting to see this and are unable to give consent or otherwise just as they are not consenting to go to church and be indoctrinated I might add so it seems ironic that the OP duplicitously cat-fished us for his cause without our full knowledge and consent.

partystress · 10/04/2022 08:27

I’ve never voted Tory in my life. I’ve campaigned for the LDs in the past. I’ve marched against racism and Section 28. But I’m not going to avoid taking action where I feel it’s needed just because people whose political views I dislike agree with me.

I followed the link and dug a bit and saw enough to leave me deeply disturbed. I emailed the local safeguarding board, because I’m not interested in frenzies, I’m interested in action that reduces the risk of harm.

Making ‘trans v women’s’ rights, safeguarding and sex/ sex work positivity political issues in the sense of left or right wing has underpinned much of the gains in support achieved by TR movements. I don’t want to limit my support for anything that protects women and children to activities emerging from the left because frankly they’ve been a huge disappointment.

nolongersurprised · 10/04/2022 08:38

I don’t want to limit my support for anything that protects women and children to activities emerging from the left because frankly they’ve been a huge disappointment

I agree with this.

I don’t care about which “team” I’m on anymore.

Strangers talking about sex to 5 year olds and stripping their adult bodies off in front of them is wrong, I don’t care which group draws it to my attention.

I don’t give a shit if I get called right-wing or a bigot or whatever. These terms are thrown around so much now they’re meaningless to me.

YetAnotherSpartacus · 10/04/2022 08:44

Posters are missing the point. By all means campaign against the Sex Show but do watch out with regard to signing petitions and other forms of allyship.

I've been a feminist a long time before all this shit started and I will not support the Christian right because they are not friends of women - or at least those of us who care about reproductive rights and fighting oppressive stereotypes.

NotBadConsidering · 10/04/2022 08:48

Left wing, right wing, who gives a toss? It’s so boring to make this a political issue.

It’s always the same question isn’t it:

“Why are right wing organisations trying to shut this down?”

And never

“Why do left wing organisations stay silent and think this is remotely okay or even promote it (I’m looking at you, Guardian Hmm)?

Just give it a rest FFS.

NotBadConsidering · 10/04/2022 08:50

Posters are missing the point. By all means campaign against the Sex Show but do watch out with regard to signing petitions and other forms of allyship

Posts like this are so patronising.

“If you’re not careful, you’ll be led astray by the big bad Christians!”

People are perfectly capable of supporting single issues you know without falling down a big black hole.

YetAnotherSpartacus · 10/04/2022 08:51

“Why do left wing organisations stay silent and think this is remotely okay or even promote it (I’m looking at you, Guardian hmm)?

You are sidetracking. No one is denying this.

We are merely pointing out that the OP did not disclose their allegiances and that the right (or the Christian, socially and economically conservatives if you prefer) are not friends of women.

nolongersurprised · 10/04/2022 08:51

How would signing a petition against this specific show align you forever with a particular group?

YetAnotherSpartacus · 10/04/2022 08:53
NotBadConsidering · 10/04/2022 08:54

@YetAnotherSpartacus

“Why do left wing organisations stay silent and think this is remotely okay or even promote it (I’m looking at you, Guardian hmm)?

You are sidetracking. No one is denying this.

We are merely pointing out that the OP did not disclose their allegiances and that the right (or the Christian, socially and economically conservatives if you prefer) are not friends of women.

I’m not sidetracking. I’m pointing out that the OP’s “allegiances” and subsequent disclosure don’t influence my view on this topic one bit and will in no way lead me astray down a dark path of right wing fundamentalist Christian bigotry, because I know my own mind and I’m a grown up.
YetAnotherSpartacus · 10/04/2022 08:54

How would signing a petition against this specific show align you forever with a particular group?

Because the petition is hosted on a very conservative website.

YetAnotherSpartacus · 10/04/2022 08:54

I’m not sidetracking. I’m pointing out that the OP’s “allegiances” and subsequent disclosure don’t influence my view on this topic one bit

No one is arguing that.

MrsClarkandPercy · 10/04/2022 08:55

I think it is actually illegal to discuss sexual matters in front of children.

I'm trying to find where I read that and will come back with it.

It is a version of sexual abuse.

I saw the video. For them to sit there and talk about a fun, easy, light, celebratory discussion of sex with 5 year olds if extraordinary.

I suppose it's quite simple. Talk to the police in Bristol and ask it be investigated.

Left wing right wing - nothing to do with it here.

Think about the thought process someone had to go to to think about how to present add to a 5 year old. Or 8 year old. Or 10 year old. 12. Etc.

Personally, though, I think they just weren't thinking. They don't think. The main theatre guy did that awful thing of making his 'a' Northern so he didn't sound too posh and Southern and Tory. Always always always a bad sign ...

NotBadConsidering · 10/04/2022 08:55

[quote YetAnotherSpartacus]I mean - here is their view on abortion. Six weeks, anyone?

mallarduk.com/abortion-time-limits-should-reflect-the-life-of-the-foetus-and-basic-womens-rights-roshan-chandy/[/quote]
Mallard view on sex show - agree

Mallard view on 6 week abortion - disagree.

See, it’s not hard, is it? This is what grown ups do. Weigh up a number of considerations.

Nottinghillbillie · 16/05/2022 21:50

FuckeryOmbudsman · 07/04/2022 21:57

It's taking the school PSHE curriculum for that age group and turning it into a show for families.

Those who think it's outrageous/grooming, do you actually know what is on that age group's curriculum and how your school delivers it?

I teach five year old children. The content of this show is most definitely NOT on the PSHE curriculum for that age group.

Having read all the material available, its would appear to be a blatant attempt by paedophiles to groom young children

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.