Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbours’ leaving-the-house ritual

warmeduppizza · 24/02/2022 17:46

Next door neighbours have got primary age kids. Every time any family member leaves the house for school, work, activities or whatnot, the remaining members of the household enthusiastically gather in the doorway and perform this lengthy and noisy ritual as if they’re never going to see each other again. They jump up and down and shout BYE!! at the top of their voice, alternating with the person who is leaving, at increasing pitch and volume, for the entire time it takes the person to walk down the street and round the corner (about 30 houses).
The first few times I found it quite endearing, but after two years of being subjected to this several times a day, it’s beginning to really grate. It’s loud, frequent and in your face (long narrow echoey street of tall town houses).
AIB a grumpy old fart or do they sound a bit unhinged?

OP's posts:
Please
or

FatCatSkinnyRat · 24/02/2022 19:59

The mum in the house behind me has two teenage boys, and every morning they are walking down the drive leaving for school she shouts out "Education, woo hoo! It's a privilege!".

I hear them muttering as they walk down the drive. My DH and I always laugh as we are having our coffee!

Please
or

SilverDoe · 24/02/2022 19:59

I think that's really sweet. I really feel like I don't belong on mumsnet sometimes.

Please
or

lapasion · 24/02/2022 19:59

Do you live next to the Flanders?

We used to live next to a lovely family who’d gather round the piano on Sunday and sing hymns. It was cute but always made me feel guilty that the kids were in their dressing gowns watching CBeebies.

Please
or

YetAnotherUsernameToday · 24/02/2022 20:00

This thread has made me howl!

Now I feel bad for signing Mr Tumble at all of my wedding guests as they left the area throughout the following day. To be fair my two bridesmaids took the lead on the singing and we all three had toddlers 😂

Please
or

ThirdElephant · 24/02/2022 20:04

@FatCatSkinnyRat

The mum in the house behind me has two teenage boys, and every morning they are walking down the drive leaving for school she shouts out "Education, woo hoo! It's a privilege!".

I hear them muttering as they walk down the drive. My DH and I always laugh as we are having our coffee!

Love it!
Please
or

Lux523 · 24/02/2022 20:05

My family are this family! We're not overly loud but we make sure we send of whichever member of our family that's heading out with love and warmth. Even my 14 year old daughter does it. We've always done it because quietly, I want the people I love the most to leave their very safe place, home, full of love and positivity. No one knows what tomorrow holds.

Please
or

romany4 · 24/02/2022 20:07

It's nuts.
But also really funny!!

Please
or

Halfofyou · 24/02/2022 20:08

My next door neighbours teenage daughter used to slam the door and scream “fuck you!” repeatedly while she walked down the road to school each morning. Once she came charging back and screamed “Mummy, aren’t you going to fucking wave?!??”. Mummy dutifully did. She’s at university now and causing no end of anti-social behaviour on her many weekend visits back. So I think your neighbours sound endearing in comparison but I can also understand how it could drive you mad if you don’t have a neighbour like mine!

Please
or

romany4 · 24/02/2022 20:13

FatCatSkinnyRat

Could be worse..
m.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJWz-kn-rs

Please
or

BoredZelda · 24/02/2022 20:14

It's better than what I do to DH (not all the time admittedly) - After he has left the driveway, I fling open the front door and shout "And don't come back" then slam the front door shut.

😆😆😆

Please
or

Createausernametoday · 24/02/2022 20:14

Ahh bless! It’s a wind up and not true

Please
or

Sceptre86 · 24/02/2022 20:14

My kids do this when we have guests and they leave. They'll always see myself or their dad to the door too and say goodbye, followed by hugs. We also get lots of cuddles when we come back home. I still see my dad to the door before he goes to work when I go home to visit. I don't think they ate particularly noisy but then I guess parents often get used to their own kids noise.I don't really care if we annoy the neighbours, their cats pooping in my garden annoys me as do the people that put their bin out at midnight.

I think it's just one of those things you have to put up with but if it's really grating maybe have a word. They might not realise they are being so annoying or loud.

Please
or

Houstonjane · 24/02/2022 20:17

Wow this would drive me bonkers. It is really over the top behaviour.

Please
or

Dentistlakes · 24/02/2022 20:19

Very weird. I like peace and quiet so that would drive me up the wall. Get some noise cancelling earphones and block them out.

Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 24/02/2022 20:28

Two years?
I'd have found a way to shut them up after two weeks

Please
or

Mamanyt · 24/02/2022 20:31

Or maybe they've lost someone who left on a routine errand, wasn't said "Goodbye" to, and never came home. That sort of thing will haunt you for...oh, say, 45 years that I know of.

Please
or

howardmoonseyebrow · 24/02/2022 20:34

YANBU where I live, the next door but one neighbour would as he was leaving his house early each morning shout BYE, LOVE YOU, BYE!! When walking to his car ( parked on street outside house) . He’s got a really loud voice even when just chatting outside the house normally.

My bedroom is at the front of the house and in the summer when my windows are open this would wake me every morning 🤦🏻‍♀️ This went on for ages making me more & more annoyed, I get he wants to tell his family he loves them but please do it before you open your front door at 7am 😩

I got so pissed off one morning I shouted back BYE !!! LOVE YOU TOO!!

My DH was hysterical laughing telling me to shut up 🤐

Neighbour is quieter these days

Please
or

CaptainMyCaptain · 24/02/2022 20:34

@Mamanyt

Or maybe they've lost someone who left on a routine errand, wasn't said "Goodbye" to, and never came home. That sort of thing will haunt you for...oh, say, 45 years that I know of.

That happened to my cousin, he went out and was killed in a car accident.

I think it's the idea of getting noise cancelling headphones to deal with this that is OTT. How long does the process take? Surely it must be over in a couple of minutes.
Please
or

Ilovesandwiches · 24/02/2022 20:35

Yeh that would irritate me haha! Every time!???

Please
or

grapewine · 24/02/2022 20:36

@Mamanyt

Flowers
Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 24/02/2022 20:38

@howardmoonseyebrow

YANBU where I live, the next door but one neighbour would as he was leaving his house early each morning shout BYE, LOVE YOU, BYE!! When walking to his car ( parked on street outside house) . He’s got a really loud voice even when just chatting outside the house normally.

My bedroom is at the front of the house and in the summer when my windows are open this would wake me every morning 🤦🏻‍♀️ This went on for ages making me more & more annoyed, I get he wants to tell his family he loves them but please do it before you open your front door at 7am 😩

I got so pissed off one morning I shouted back BYE !!! LOVE YOU TOO!!

My DH was hysterical laughing telling me to shut up 🤐

Neighbour is quieter these days

Well played! Grin
👏
Please
or

StormyWindow · 24/02/2022 20:38

My childhood NDN did this! We're Black Country so it was 'ta ra! Ta ra a bit, ta ra!' over and over again, maddening Grin

Please
or

MRS54321 · 24/02/2022 20:39

Loud speaker
BYE! BYE!
Maybe they’ll dial it down a bit

Please
or

Leilala · 24/02/2022 20:41

@FontaineKhalid

Hahaha!

But it’s really so sweet that even though he has gone he still makes you smile every time you walk out the door. Smile

Please
or

Cattoes · 24/02/2022 20:42

Haha I can't drive so if I'm on an early shift and it's winter (too dark to walk in) my husband bundles the kids in the car and drives me to work. So the morning often starts with me ushering the children out of the door while saying "go go go!" like the start of the paw patrol theme tune. My neighbours have said we never disturb them but I do wonder if they're just being nice.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.