Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbours’ leaving-the-house ritual

warmeduppizza · 24/02/2022 17:46

Next door neighbours have got primary age kids. Every time any family member leaves the house for school, work, activities or whatnot, the remaining members of the household enthusiastically gather in the doorway and perform this lengthy and noisy ritual as if they’re never going to see each other again. They jump up and down and shout BYE!! at the top of their voice, alternating with the person who is leaving, at increasing pitch and volume, for the entire time it takes the person to walk down the street and round the corner (about 30 houses).
The first few times I found it quite endearing, but after two years of being subjected to this several times a day, it’s beginning to really grate. It’s loud, frequent and in your face (long narrow echoey street of tall town houses).
AIB a grumpy old fart or do they sound a bit unhinged?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RallySooney · 24/02/2022 18:47

@TheMissingMango

Get a small bell and every time they do it, sit in the window and ring it until they're finished. Never discuss the bell with them.

Definitely do this Grin
Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 24/02/2022 18:47

Bloody annoying but at least they sound like a happy bunch 🤣🤣

Please
or

Ostryga · 24/02/2022 18:49

@CheeseCakeSunflowers

Stand in your doorway and shout "where you going" everytime.

This is one of the only comments on MN that has made me not be able to breathe for laughter 🤣

Please do this
Please
or

Pbbananabagel · 24/02/2022 18:50

TheMissingMango
Get a small bell and every time they do it, sit in the window and ring it until they're finished. Never discuss the bell with them.“

And if they ever ask about the bell look confused and say “The bell..?”

Please
or

Seeleyboo · 24/02/2022 18:52

@fionnulathecooler yesyes. The fucking horn beeping. Boils my piss. I live in a horseshoe cul de sac so it echoes like and amphitheatre. Loud bye bye bye beep beep beep door slamming. Ergh

Please
or

HoldingTheDoor · 24/02/2022 18:54

Do your neighbours consist of an elderly gentleman and a pack of small, scruffy boys?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6K9J4G6pgM

Please
or

FontaineKhalid · 24/02/2022 18:54

My late husband used to shout “and thanks for the sex!!” 🤣

Please
or

MangoLipstick · 24/02/2022 18:55

Oh no, I’m afraid we were those kids growing upBlush we would all shuffle out of the house in the morning for the school bus down the road, waving and shouting to our mum until we couldn’t see her anymore. Every morning. My mum ( dad joins in now too) still stand at the gates waving us off till they can’t see us anymore, as we drive off after visiting (and we pip the horn for good measure too)

Please
or

labyrinthlaziness · 24/02/2022 18:57

Oh it sounds loud but also cute. They'll stop in the teen years.

Could be worse, I lived next door to someone who used to loudly discuss wanting to beat up his ex's new partner.

Please
or

Louloubelles · 24/02/2022 18:58

@FontaineKhalid that made me guffaw.

Please
or

labyrinthlaziness · 24/02/2022 18:58

@MangoLipstick

Oh no, I’m afraid we were those kids growing upBlush we would all shuffle out of the house in the morning for the school bus down the road, waving and shouting to our mum until we couldn’t see her anymore. Every morning. My mum ( dad joins in now too) still stand at the gates waving us off till they can’t see us anymore, as we drive off after visiting (and we pip the horn for good measure too)

This sounds nice Smile
Please
or

HoldingTheDoor · 24/02/2022 18:59

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy9_lfjQopU

I'm picturing their bedtime routine looking rather like this.

Please
or

Walkingalot · 24/02/2022 19:00

It's the modern day Walton's.

Please
or

HoldingTheDoor · 24/02/2022 19:00

I'd be more than a little murderous if I had to listen to that every day. It doesn't sound at all cute to me, just obnoxious.

Please
or

DomesticatedZombie · 24/02/2022 19:02

@MrsPnut

It's better than what I do to DH (not all the time admittedly) - After he has left the driveway, I fling open the front door and shout "And don't come back" then slam the front door shut.

I can watch him walking along the street laughing away.

Grin
Please
or

AmbushedByCake · 24/02/2022 19:04

@lifeuphigh

Oh I think this sounds lovely!

I thought this was going to be about my family and the fact that DD is almost always shouting "hurry up everyone, we're late!" when we leave the house.

This is our leaving the house ritual too. Sometimes I spice it up by screeching "DS STOP MESSING AROUND" or "YOU HAVE ENOUGH DINOSAURS LETS GO"
Please
or

WetLookKnitwear · 24/02/2022 19:05

You are a grumpy old fart AND they are unhinged. Grin

That would do my head in too op.

Please
or

warmeduppizza · 24/02/2022 19:09

Lol no not a town beginning with F 😅

I’m not complaining really…just a bit jealous, if anything.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HelloChompy · 24/02/2022 19:10

Grin our neighbours on one side are a bit like this, waving each other off with a cheery 'Bye' and pipping the horn. I prefer their happy leaving ritual way more than the neighbours on the other side who scream at each other to 'F**K off and don't come back' while slamming the house door, the car door and burning off down the road all the time 🙄

Please
or

Queenkarm · 24/02/2022 19:10

HOLDINGTHEDOOR
Brilliant 🤣🤣

Please
or

Notanotherwindow · 24/02/2022 19:10

Lean out the window and shout BYE LOVE YA, MISS YOU ALREADY! BYYYYYEEEEEE!

Every time.

Please
or

shssandhr · 24/02/2022 19:10

Crazy.
I'd have to be out there banging saucepans together and jumping up and down screaming "Byeeeeeee. Have a lovely time" at them. Every fucking time they did it.

Please
or

Cocomelonearworm · 24/02/2022 19:12

@MrsPnut

It's better than what I do to DH (not all the time admittedly) - After he has left the driveway, I fling open the front door and shout "And don't come back" then slam the front door shut.

I can watch him walking along the street laughing away.

😂 this is brilliant
Please
or

CruCru · 24/02/2022 19:15

I used to go out with someone who's family;y did this (but not as extreme). They would all say "Byesy-bye!!!" to each other in this mad, high pitched voice. I'm glad he dumped me.

Please
or

FontaineKhalid · 24/02/2022 19:19

@Louloubelles

I think what made it funny was that he looked like the last guy on earth to yell something like that!!

He’s been gone over 4 years now, but I still expect to hear him shouting it as I leave the house!😄

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.