Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbours’ leaving-the-house ritual

warmeduppizza · 24/02/2022 17:46

Next door neighbours have got primary age kids. Every time any family member leaves the house for school, work, activities or whatnot, the remaining members of the household enthusiastically gather in the doorway and perform this lengthy and noisy ritual as if they’re never going to see each other again. They jump up and down and shout BYE!! at the top of their voice, alternating with the person who is leaving, at increasing pitch and volume, for the entire time it takes the person to walk down the street and round the corner (about 30 houses).
The first few times I found it quite endearing, but after two years of being subjected to this several times a day, it’s beginning to really grate. It’s loud, frequent and in your face (long narrow echoey street of tall town houses).
AIB a grumpy old fart or do they sound a bit unhinged?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Purplepeoniesdroppingpetals · 24/02/2022 20:45

@MrsPnut

It's better than what I do to DH (not all the time admittedly) - After he has left the driveway, I fling open the front door and shout "And don't come back" then slam the front door shut.

I can watch him walking along the street laughing away.

Just spat my pepsi out at this. Cat is not impressed; I’m stealing this. 😂
Please
or

NotMyRealNameObvs · 24/02/2022 20:50

Oh my days, this was my Mum and then some! Every day she’d watch me leave, waving and shouting. I’d beg her not to - it was especially embarrassing as a teenager, but her standard response was ‘what if I never see you again?’.

And so the guilt-ridden ritual continued, through school, work, and eventually when I’d park outside her house dropping my own kids at the school near her house. Then she got ill, we didn’t really understand how ill but the waving stopped, and I missed it and even felt a little snubbed without it. And then she was gone. We were clearing the house out and found an old undeveloped film, got it developed and it included a picture of her waving us off in the distance, it was like a last goodbye.

So yep, absolutely batshit crazy - but absolutely wonderful too!

Please
or

FannyCann · 24/02/2022 20:51

The mum in the house behind me has two teenage boys, and every morning they are walking down the drive leaving for school she shouts out "Education, woo hoo! It's a privilege!".

This should become a Mumsnet thing. Kids up and down the country being shouted at to appreciate their education. Imagine a whole street doing it! Grin

Please
or

Libraryghost · 24/02/2022 20:54

My neighbour does this with her grandkids who are there everyday. She absolutely bellows 'BYE BYE Babies . Nanny loves you' The kids look terrified

Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 24/02/2022 20:58

Me and my mum are the sort of people who sit on the sofa and cuddle and say "I love you" at the end of phone calls.

Sorry if that makes people feel a bit ill.

What we have never done is shout about it at the front door because that would be really annoying for other people.

We d

Please
or

Doggydoodah123 · 24/02/2022 20:59

I agree that this may come from a place of anxiety about something happening to the people you love and not getting the chance to say goodbye. It's all good and well laughing over someone's ritual and it sounds like it is very over the top but I can sort of understand why they might be doing it. When I wave my children off I literally wave until they are out of sight. It makes me feel better.

Please
or

CathyorClaire · 24/02/2022 20:59

YANBU.

They're unhinged performing in their own soft focus soap, OP.

Maybe a robust chorus of 'So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu' each time they're on stage might work?

Please
or

Annoyedtoomuch · 24/02/2022 21:00

I feel irritated just by the description but I’ve just posted a thread about my irritability!

Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 24/02/2022 21:02

@CathyorClaire

YANBU.

They're unhinged performing in their own soft focus soap, OP.

Maybe a robust chorus of 'So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu' each time they're on stage might work?

Ooh love this!
Please
or

ilovesushi · 24/02/2022 21:03

OMG! This is my DH's family. Every departure takes hours. It starts in the house and takes forever to get down the hallway and to the front door. Then all progress seems to stop for ages, and sometimes it starts to reverse back into the kitchen. Once out it's a process to get down the drive and through the gate. Almost impossible to get into the car, as they are leaning in to kiss the kids goodbye. Then they seem to move around every side and angle of the car endlessly getting a last glimpse of us. I just start the engine now and start to move away very cautiously or more time is lost. Then when we are finally moving, DH will wind down all the windows to their extremity so he can wave heartily to them and they to him as we take off down the street. The frantic waving goes on until we are out of sight. They live about a 20 min drive away and we see them at least once a week.

Please
or

tobleroneORterryschocO · 24/02/2022 21:04

@HelloChompy

Grin our neighbours on one side are a bit like this, waving each other off with a cheery 'Bye' and pipping the horn. I prefer their happy leaving ritual way more than the neighbours on the other side who scream at each other to 'F**K off and don't come back' while slamming the house door, the car door and burning off down the road all the time 🙄

Haha i have this too! Blush
Please
or

OliveOyl321 · 24/02/2022 21:05

@CheeseCakeSunflowers

Stand in your doorway and shout "where you going" everytime.

This made me laugh @CheeseCakeSunflowers
Please
or

youknownuthinjonsnuh · 24/02/2022 21:09

@CheeseCakeSunflowers

Stand in your doorway and shout "where you going" everytime.

Brilliant 🤣 this whole thread is great

I wonder whether they do it as an ironic sort of piss take? Maybe you should start doing it when you leave aswell and see if they cotton on
Please
or

elizabethdraper · 24/02/2022 21:11

This us Blush

Roaring I love you, have a fab day, miss you already

Please
or

WouldIwasShookspeared · 24/02/2022 21:20

@Createausernametoday

Ahh bless! It’s a wind up and not true

What? The OP?
Given several posters have said they do similar, probably not. 🤷‍♀️
Please
or

StormyWindow · 24/02/2022 21:21

@ilovesushi

OMG! This is my DH's family. Every departure takes hours. It starts in the house and takes forever to get down the hallway and to the front door. Then all progress seems to stop for ages, and sometimes it starts to reverse back into the kitchen. Once out it's a process to get down the drive and through the gate. Almost impossible to get into the car, as they are leaning in to kiss the kids goodbye. Then they seem to move around every side and angle of the car endlessly getting a last glimpse of us. I just start the engine now and start to move away very cautiously or more time is lost. Then when we are finally moving, DH will wind down all the windows to their extremity so he can wave heartily to them and they to him as we take off down the street. The frantic waving goes on until we are out of sight. They live about a 20 min drive away and we see them at least once a week.

This made me laugh so much, my parents do this when they're leaving so I can picture it exactly, only difference is I don't participate, just try to edge them steadily towards the door Grin
Please
or

BaggingTheWainwrights · 24/02/2022 21:22

My opposite neighbours do this too. They also do it if a family member is coming home, they will all come out and wait at the end of the driveway craning their necks to catch the first glimpse of the family member. I can only imagine that they all text or call to alert family members when they are nearing home so that everyone can troop out to greet them. It's bloody weird!!

Please
or

Rosebel · 24/02/2022 21:26

We do this when my parents leave. Not for 30 houses though and they are driving so it's quick.
How loud is it so they annoy you? I never thought maybe I was pissing the neighbours off every Friday.

Please
or

lifeuphigh · 24/02/2022 21:29

ilovesushi That made me smile! I always have a slight struggle leaving DH's parents' house as they crowd round the car to give the kids final kisses through the open windows and I'm always terrified of driving over someone's foot. But if I don't drive they won't move away from the vehicle. They do live about 11 hours away though so it's not such a regular occurrence!

Please
or

cherish123 · 24/02/2022 21:32

😅😆
This is funny.
I can imagine it would annoy me too.

Please
or

FantasticFebruary · 24/02/2022 22:24

Hose pipe!!

Please
or

theonlygirl · 24/02/2022 22:38

@DinnoWoman

Maybe they love each other very much.

Or they're all high.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 24/02/2022 22:45

@elizabethdraper

This us Blush

Roaring I love you, have a fab day, miss you already

Has it occurred to you not to roar?

My god daughter is six and shouts "KISSING" in the car when her folks drop me at the station. But that's in the car.
Please
or

comfortablyfrumpy · 25/02/2022 06:59

@BaggingTheWainwrights

My opposite neighbours do this too. They also do it if a family member is coming home, they will all come out and wait at the end of the driveway craning their necks to catch the first glimpse of the family member. I can only imagine that they all text or call to alert family members when they are nearing home so that everyone can troop out to greet them. It's bloody weird!!

Maybe they are like dogs, sensing their owners are coming home and whining at the door?
Please
or

Wilburisagirl · 25/02/2022 10:38

Oh gosh, you could almost have been describing my family. For us, it's because my 4 year old only really has memories of us being in lockdown and working from home. So at first when life started getting back to something resembling normal, she would get upset and worried whenever someone would leave the house. We made a bit of a routine around having a kiss, hug, high five and wave and it somehow morphed into also blowing kisses etc. I am quite conscious that we are most likely disturbing the neighbours, but it's only for short bursts of time at reasonable hours and it seems to help her cope.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.