Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Neighbours’ leaving-the-house ritual

warmeduppizza · 24/02/2022 17:46

Next door neighbours have got primary age kids. Every time any family member leaves the house for school, work, activities or whatnot, the remaining members of the household enthusiastically gather in the doorway and perform this lengthy and noisy ritual as if they’re never going to see each other again. They jump up and down and shout BYE!! at the top of their voice, alternating with the person who is leaving, at increasing pitch and volume, for the entire time it takes the person to walk down the street and round the corner (about 30 houses).
The first few times I found it quite endearing, but after two years of being subjected to this several times a day, it’s beginning to really grate. It’s loud, frequent and in your face (long narrow echoey street of tall town houses).
AIB a grumpy old fart or do they sound a bit unhinged?

OP's posts:
Please
or

JudgeJ · 24/02/2022 19:19

@ApolloandDaphne

Sounds bonkers but at least they all seem to like each other!

So did the Von Trapp family! I'd be tempted to play Goodbye, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu very loudly.
Please
or

1AngelicFruitCake · 24/02/2022 19:22

Impersonate the Dad in ‘My big fat Greek Wedding’ and wail

‘Why you want to leave me?’

with a pained expression and lots of hand wringing!

Please
or

thistimelastweek · 24/02/2022 19:24

Full disclosure, this could be a watered-down version of us.

But in my defence, I neither know nor care how my neighbours let people come and go from their house.

Please
or

Bromse · 24/02/2022 19:26

Sit or work at the back of your house, then you won't hear them

Please
or

DomesticatedZombie · 24/02/2022 19:27

@FontaineKhalid

My late husband used to shout “and thanks for the sex!!” 🤣

Love it. Grin
Please
or

Chloemol · 24/02/2022 19:29

I would shout out the window as well,

Shut up

Please
or

JudgeJ · 24/02/2022 19:30

@Dyrne

That is odd; but I wonder if it’s been triggered by something and then morphed over time into this?

I am compelled to do a lower key thing where I have to see someone off at the front door and wave to them from the door until I can’t see their car any more - for me it comes from a traumatic sudden bereavement and that “I never got to say goodbye” feeling.

I can understand that, when we lived abroad and we were in the UK on holiday when we were leaving to drive back to Dover I would always wave through the back window in case it was the last time I saw them and of course, one day it was the last time.
Please
or

NotQuiteUsual · 24/02/2022 19:31

Are they perhaps Cbeebies characters? Or could they have somehow confused themselves for some?

Please
or

Onetraumaatatimeplease · 24/02/2022 19:31

Could be worse.
They could be hurling insults at each other like my kid's.

Please
or

bitchinofhitchen · 24/02/2022 19:35

My neighbours do this sometimes I join in and shout 'bye then'
Match crazy with crazy

Please
or

SuperSocks · 24/02/2022 19:36

Hahahaha! That's wonderful, but nuts! It sounds like something from a TV comedy series about the highly annoying 'perfect' family next door. Don't just sit there, write the script!

Please
or

Seenoevil1 · 24/02/2022 19:40

Sounds annoying but nice that they genuinely like each other Grin

Please
or

Hellorhighwater · 24/02/2022 19:40

I have a spare cowbell, if you’d like it?!

(Look, it was lockdown. There’s just me and an a eight year old who has adhd and doesn’t sleep. It was a desperate, desperate time)

Please
or

Whitefire · 24/02/2022 19:42

I think I might start this ritual in the morning, last day of half term and they can all get up at 7.30 to wave me off to work.

Please
or

JudgeRindersMinder · 24/02/2022 19:43

They’re nuts, but in a good way!

Please
or

underneaththeash · 24/02/2022 19:47

I think you need to do exactly the same. They will then discuss it and realise that they do it as well......job done.

Please
or

Twixxed · 24/02/2022 19:48

I get why its annoying, but I'd probably stick it in the 'delightfully mad' category.

Please
or

BeaLola · 24/02/2022 19:49

I get that it's annoying, but they love each other and at least you are not on MN because your selfish neighbours block your car parking space or kids bouncing up and down coInstantly on trampoline or they've stolen your bin or similar

Slightly jealous as I hot up especially early to make DS 14 breakfast and I received an eye roll & attitude for my trouble

Please
or

GotheFtobed · 24/02/2022 19:51

Oh no how nauseating. Teenagers here, they just walk out the door and go. Most confusing as I never know whether they’ve actually left or not.

Please
or

Bignanny30 · 24/02/2022 19:53

Do you live next door to my daughter, that’s what her family do every time someone leaves the house!

Please
or

Polyputthekettleon · 24/02/2022 19:54

I think its cute. Love seeing and hearing happy families.

Please
or

Clymene · 24/02/2022 19:55

@Shainago

Join them next time.
Get out your door, jump up and down and shout BYE at the top of your lungs everytime one of them is about to leave.

Cure crazy with crazy

Do this
Please
or

ThirdElephant · 24/02/2022 19:57

Play Vera Lynn loudly each time?

'We'll meet again. Don't know where, don't know when..."

Please
or

CaptainMyCaptain · 24/02/2022 19:57

@MrsPnut

It's better than what I do to DH (not all the time admittedly) - After he has left the driveway, I fling open the front door and shout "And don't come back" then slam the front door shut.

I can watch him walking along the street laughing away.

Brilliant!
Please
or

grapewine · 24/02/2022 19:58

Teenagers here, they just walk out the door and go. Most confusing as I never know whether they’ve actually left or not.

I would find that much more annoying. At least say goodbye when you leave the house.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.