Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think he shouldn’t be charged with murder

CovidCorvid · 24/01/2022 22:34

Story in the news today. A man is stabbing a woman to death in the street, people try and intervene and he’s waving a big knife about. A passing motorist rams him with a car and kills him. The driver has now been charged with murder. I get that people can’t take the law into his own hands but for all he knew it was a mad man/terrorist who might be about to start killing others. Never mind trying to save the life of the poor woman who died. Surely he can argue he didn’t have an intention to kill the man, but was just hoping to stop him.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/24/woman-stabbed-man-killed-hit-by-car-maida-vale-west-london

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

UserBot999 · 24/01/2022 22:36

I agree, that should be manslaughter

Please
or

SWAttempting · 24/01/2022 22:37

He's been arrested for murder to allow the police the chance to establish

Please
or

Lockheart · 24/01/2022 22:37

Committing a crime for a "good" reason doesn't negate that a crime was committed.

This also only happened this morning. Perhaps we should wait for more information before we decide who is guilty or innocent of what on the basis of news reports.

Please
or

SameToo · 24/01/2022 22:38

Well he should or you’d just have people running people over and claiming they were a threat or vigilantes.

May be some sort of extenuating circumstances or something but on the face of it he broke the law and killed a person.

Please
or

CovidCorvid · 24/01/2022 22:38

Personally I think he should be given a medal. Trying to save someone’s life, had a split second to make a decision. 🤷‍♀️

OP's posts:
Please
or

sadpapercourtesan · 24/01/2022 22:38

If you deliberately hit somebody with your car, you must know there's a good chance you're going to cause their death

Members of the public aren't empowered to go around smiting evil-doers to death. The law has to be fair and applicable to everyone.

Please
or

Lockheart · 24/01/2022 22:39

@CovidCorvid

Personally I think he should be given a medal. Trying to save someone’s life, had a split second to make a decision. 🤷‍♀️

You need to get in touch with the police, they could really use that crystal ball of yours.

Seriously, it happened a little over 12 hours ago and we don't even have the full facts yet. You have no more idea about who did what and with what motivation than I do.
Please
or

MaxNormal · 24/01/2022 22:41

OP I agree with you. This isn't vigilantism, it's a split second decision of stopping a very dangerous active situation by the only means you have.

Please
or

Smileyaxolotl1 · 24/01/2022 22:42

Yanbu at all.
But this is the police all over.
Much easier to target a have a go hero than actual criminals.

Please
or

Smileyaxolotl1 · 24/01/2022 22:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

Lockheart · 24/01/2022 22:44

@Smileyaxolotl1

Yanbu at all.

The other known parties to this event are dead.

You can't charge a dead person with a crime.
Please
or

JurgensCakeBabyJesus · 24/01/2022 22:45

He's been arrested, not charged, convicted or sentenced. Give them the time to investigate, you cannot know the full facts especially this quickly.

Please
or

Lockheart · 24/01/2022 22:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Quotes deleted post

Please
or

LolaButt · 24/01/2022 22:46

Arrested. Not charged.

Poor lady.

Please
or

SWAttempting · 24/01/2022 22:46

@CovidCorvid

Just ran it past OH who is a PC of over 10 years... he said on the face of it (in the article without any inside info) won't be charged as is a lawful killing under Section 3 Of the criminal law act (prevention of crime and defence of another) & common law

Basically same as when a police officer kills a person mid attack or violent act

😊
Please
or

sadpapercourtesan · 24/01/2022 22:46

@Smileyaxolotl1

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

I would suggest a correlation between your aggressive, insulting demeanour towards strangers who disagree with you and the fact that you can't see why summary execution isn't a good thing Hmm
Please
or

summertime94 · 24/01/2022 22:46

Can't say I'm too bothered there's one less murderer on the streets. Well done to the guy for
Making a quick decision and actually trying to
save someone's life. Hopefully he is not charged with anything!

Please
or

SD1978 · 24/01/2022 22:47

There is a difference between arrested and charged. He did it, now the circumstances need to be established to see if it's in the publics interest to prosecute, which I'd imagine it won't be. You can't just let someone go with a well done when they have killed someone, regardless of the circumstances, without due process

Please
or

Kinneddar · 24/01/2022 22:47

@Smileyaxolotl1

Yanbu at all.

So should they just shake his hand and let him go on his way without any investigation? The drivers been arrested not charges. As pp said it'll be to give them time to establish exactly what happened
Please
or

christingle2 · 24/01/2022 22:47

I have heard (but idk if true) that the police charge with the highest offence they can and then downgrade it later if necessary?

Please
or

TheChemicalMother · 24/01/2022 22:47

That report says that the stabbing only stopped once the perpetrator was hit with the car.

Earlier in the article it says members of the public 'bravely tried to intervene'.

Hmmmm. So some interventions are more intervening than others. Those that stop the attack...

Anyway- of course they have to arrest him and arrest is not the same as charge, let alone convict.

Please
or

ElegantlyTouched · 24/01/2022 22:47

I agree. The only problem is that the woman involved also ended up under the car. She died too, from the stab wounds or the car only the pathologist can tell.

I do feel incredibly sorry for the man involved and I hope he is given the lightest possible sentence, if he has to get any.

Please
or

madisonbridges · 24/01/2022 22:48

But unless I'm reading it wrong, he hasn't been charged, he's been arrested. Two very huge different things.

Please
or

PerkingFaintly · 24/01/2022 22:49

That report doesn't say he's been charged with murder, but arrested on suspicion of murder.

I'm not in law or law enforcement, but that sounds like a very major difference.

The police need to investigate to find out what has happened. IIUC, it's possible the man will be released without charge.

Please
or

Lockheart · 24/01/2022 22:49

@madisonbridges

But unless I'm reading it wrong, he hasn't been charged, he's been arrested. Two very huge different things.

Also a very good point (I'm tired and have missed that he doesn't appear to have been actually charged yet - happy to be corrected if he has).

An arrest does not mean there will be a prosecution.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.