Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

'They've got their own lives' and other stock phrases

saywhatagain · 07/12/2021 18:07

I'm an adult social worker and I hear words to the tune of 'X never visits/helps because they have their own lives' many times a month.

Another popular one is 'I've worked all my life and now I have to pay, but if I'd sat on my arse my whole life / was an immigrant (etc) I'd get it all for free'.

Or another popular one, 'the GP gave me your number as my mother/father/aunt (etc) needs to go into a care home right NOW' - and 9/10 times it's a either health need not a social one or the person is nowhere near care home ready.

Tell me yours for your job, make me feel better about the Groundhog Day that my job is at the moment?

OP's posts:
Please
or

speakout · 07/12/2021 20:14

Wow.

What an unprofessional post from a SW bitching about the things that clients say.

Especially given recent news events.

Ever heard of confidentiality?

I agree. 'X never visits/helps because they have their own lives' many times a month. I have heard these words spoken by lonely elderly pople- they are grieving and trying to come to terms they their children/relaltives have left, emigrated or just don't want to visit.
It's quite heartbreaking.

Have you consired a change of career OP?

Please
or

Livelovebehappy · 07/12/2021 20:14

[quote Thursdaymiami]@Fairyliz
Projection much!
Why do you think you can’t get hold of a social worker really??? Why???
Because they’re all cunts,
Or because they’re worked into the ground dealing with mostly aresholes and treated like scum of the earth.[/quote]
Not helpful. A lot of people SWs deal with aren't ‘arseholes’, but are people who need help, having been failed a lot in their lives, and having no-one else to help them.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 07/12/2021 20:14

@flymetotheloon

Yes, Luredbyapomegranate I am serious. I work in a related field to SW and I could expect serious repercussions for posting in such a flippant and sneering way about clients I am paid to work with safely and ethically.

What makes you think this is ok or an appropriate place for this OP to vent? Have you ever read an ethical code for this kind of profession?

It’s an anonymous forum, so no, you couldn’t expect repercussions. Don’t be such a dimwit.

Everyone needs to vent. The OP is doing so by complaining about stock phrases, that couldn’t possibly be attributed to anyone. Codes of ethics are to protect individual privacy, they are not designed to stop people letting off steam.

And if you imagine that people have an especially lofty view of social works.. they don’t. And no more should they - it’s just a job.
Please
or

echt · 07/12/2021 20:14

I'm disappointed at the attitude that if anyone needs help from social services it means their family hasn't tried hard enough. Should we expect no help from the state at all?

The OP neither said nor implied this.

Please
or

RedWingBoots · 07/12/2021 20:15

@RedWingBoots you have no idea what volunteer work myself, friends and family have done and do plus our day jobs.

You are just on here to bully the OP.

Please
or

slashlover · 07/12/2021 20:15

I've got whistleryukon complaining for me not posting more and you working out the percentage of the posts that are from me (what an unusual thing you've chosen to do there).

(18/114)*100 is basic maths. I searched you to see if you'd decided to spam other posts or if OP was just special.

Please
or

flymetotheloon · 07/12/2021 20:15

@IGotHam

Flymetotheloon you have an unpleasant hectoring tone. Maybe try and calm down.

I am perfectly calm, thank you.
Please
or

DdraigGoch · 07/12/2021 20:16

@flymetotheloon

Wow.

What an unprofessional post from a SW bitching about the things that clients say.

ODFOD
Please
or

flymetotheloon · 07/12/2021 20:16

@slashlover

I've got whistleryukon complaining for me not posting more and you working out the percentage of the posts that are from me (what an unusual thing you've chosen to do there).

(18/114)*100 is basic maths. I searched you to see if you'd decided to spam other posts or if OP was just special.

I haven't 'spammed' anything I'm responding to other people's comments to me. Do you understand how this forum works? It seems like you don't.
Please
or

PinkAndPurpleClouds · 07/12/2021 20:16

Ooooh, another 'stock phrase' that annoys me. I am a middle aged woman, and every time I go out with a short sleeved T-shirt on (coz I tend to get hot,) I get various women - always 15-20 years older than me - saying 'AREN'T YOU COLD?!' with a look of dismay and slight annoyance. I don't know them, they just feel the need to comment. Hmm

I have even had a few saying 'you need to wrap up and get a cardy on or something.'

I am a middle aged woman, I don't need fucking telling how to dress FFS Hmm

Please
or

@BeyondMyWits

Pharmacy... the doctor said it would be here and ready in 20 minutes.

Oh and yeah, very annoying....... The doctor saying your prescription will be ready in 20 minutes.

Coz the pharmacists have shag-all to do, and don't have 300 prescriptions waiting before you. They will do yours immediately! Hmm

Please
or

chaosmaker · 07/12/2021 20:16

@flymetotheloon

Wow.

Not at all, if she wasn't being confidential she'd have given names etc. No confidentiality was broken here.
Please
or

@flymetotheloon FFS go away Hmm

Please
or

KrispyKale · 07/12/2021 20:17

Remind me not to bother engaging with a social worker unless I have something unique to say.

Please
or

flymetotheloon · 07/12/2021 20:17

[quote PinkAndPurpleClouds]@flymetotheloon FFS go away Hmm[/quote]
Hmm

Please
or

LuluBlakey1 · 07/12/2021 20:17

@flymetotheloon

Wow.

FFS- we don't know who the OP is or who made any of these general comments that she hears regularly.
Please
or

janj2301 · 07/12/2021 20:17

my husband to window cleaners or someone cutting the grass "you missed a bit" thinks he's hilarious. Doesn't realise that they'll have heard it dozens of times just that day.

Please
or

Lalliella · 07/12/2021 20:17

OP you have my absolute admiration for what must be an incredibly stressful and harrowing job. No wonder you need to let off steam now and then.

I am a professional in a different field which also has an ethical code and I can say with absolutely certainty that OP has not breached any confidentiality at all.

Please
or

supertedious · 07/12/2021 20:18

@flymetotheloon you ok hun?

Please
or

DdraigGoch · 07/12/2021 20:18

"What it is right, yeah..." is code for "I am a thieving scumbag who doesn't pay for my ticket".

Please
or

Thursdaymiami · 07/12/2021 20:18

@flymetotheloon
Is just an anonymous bully
I would ignore them

Please
or

SmellyOldOwls · 07/12/2021 20:18

'Haha ha de ha, let's all laugh at vulnerable clients for the benefit of people on mumsnet with nothing better to do.

Gosh, it's really funny, isn't it?

Haha.'

I was laughing at the exact comment of yours that I quoted actually Hmm

Please
or

PinkAndPurpleClouds · 07/12/2021 20:18

[quote slashlover]@flymetotheloon Why don't you report the thread then instead of spamming it?

In retail "I won't be back!!" Generally said by the type of customer you're pleased to see the back of.

Selling scratchcards. "A £1 scratchcard please."
"Any particular one?"
"A winning one!"
Several times per day.[/quote]
ANOTHER popular middle aged man response!

Please
or

Funnylittlefloozie · 07/12/2021 20:19

Why isn't anyone having a go at the teachers, then, who constantly talk about issues and funny/sad stories concerning their pupils? Have you ever been on an emergency services forum or group --some of the war stories are traumatising. Or try prison or probation officers....

Please
or

PinkAndPurpleClouds · 07/12/2021 20:19

@SmellyOldOwls

'Haha ha de ha, let's all laugh at vulnerable clients for the benefit of people on mumsnet with nothing better to do.

Gosh, it's really funny, isn't it?

Haha.'

I was laughing at the exact comment of yours that I quoted actually Hmm

Oh FGS, do grow up.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.