Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

FH there's some entitled people !!

ginislife · 26/11/2021 13:17

There is no U to this but I've not stopped laughing since it happened. Yesterday I was in the office of a restaurant. It's a newish place, only small with great reviews, a top chef and is currently fully booked until February/March time. All bookings are done via the website and if someone cancels it automatically frees up the slot so often a customer will know before the staff that there's been a cancellation. I answered the phone to a man and the conversation went......
Him: hi, just wondered if there was a table free this evening
Me: no, I'm really sorry we're fully booked this evening (and was checking the on line diary to make sure at the same time)
Him: oh, fully booked ?
Me: yes, I'm sorry. Can I suggest you keep an eye on the website and if anyone cancels you'll be able to book their slot
Him: but can you not squeeze us in tonight ?
Me: no, as I said we're fully booked this evening
Him: but we want to come tonight. We're names in the town. We can bring lots of people to you
Me: I'm really sorry but as I say we're fully booked right up to Christmas and after.
Him: well, we won't ever be coming there then
And put the phone down
2 things: 1. We were genuinely fully booked. Where the fuck did he think they were going to sit ??? Did he really expect I'd call one of the guests who have been booked for months to say sorry but Mr big balls wants your table so you can't come ?
2. If we're fully booked now until March why does he even think we'd miss his custom if he never comes ??? Once the diary for April onwards is open for bookings we'll be fully booked instantly again.
The entitlement seriously astounded me. Hilarious.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Stellaris22 · 28/11/2021 15:28

Entitlement of customers can be ridiculous where I work too.

Local convenience store. Trying to unload two heavy cages of alcohol and clearly busy. Customer insists I serve him (instead of self service) because he 'likes the interaction' then is rude to me.

I think customers do it on purpose sometimes, clearly see you're busy but insist you stop everything to serve them.

Please
or

SewingMum46 · 28/11/2021 16:03

Stellaris22 I’ve worked in retail since I was a student - it was on the deli counter at Tesco’s then, and now I have my own fabric shop. You’re right - in many cases people seem to be on a power trip, and in their minds we’re lower than low because we work in a shop. My least favourite expression from a customer is “Oh, hello there” because it’s most often said as if I’ve crawled out from under a rock. I’ve had some serious rudeness and arrogance, and assumptions about my level of education - I’ve got a BSc which took me four years, as well as qualifications in Art and Fashion, but I often get spoken to as if I’m ever so slightly stupid. My two eldest children have both had weekend jobs in a little shop nearby, and they both reckon that retail work should be compulsory - like a form of national service - just so the rest of the population know what it’s like to be on our side of the counter!

Please
or

disconnected101 · 28/11/2021 20:44

@SewingMum46 us hospitality veterans say that everyone should have to do a year in a bar/pub/restaurant to include a full Christmas service just so they learn how to treat staff with respect & conduct themselves in public

Please
or

Highfivemum · 28/11/2021 20:56

My Friend who is a social worker was in charge of running an adoption course in the area. She was called by an extremely famous A list asking for details. She duly assisted with the times and dates etc. To which they said. Do you know who I am. I can’t be with other people. !! She duly said these were the dates and if they were interested then they could book on the course and she would assist anyway she could with advice etc. They then screamed down the phone. I want to adopt. I will give a baby everything. You need to speak to the manager and sort this out straight away, I am famous and I do not wait !!! She calmly stated adopting was a long process etc and then got more abuse as to Who she was talking to.
!! She stood her ground and they put the phone down. !!

Please
or

NewlyGranny · 29/11/2021 04:55

Motherofawhirlwind, you need to buy your DH a sewing machine for Christmas and let him spend an hour or two running up some curtains. After all, it's just straight lines, and the machine does all the real work, right? 😉

Please
or

Mirw · 29/11/2021 14:14

17:41Ozanj
Believe it or not, the answer to that question is NO. Fully booked means fully booked. What you are saying is that every restaurant lies. How arrogant is that? They do not. Or maybe restaurants you go to are so bad that they would lie...
Having been there, people just won't take a telling and think they are so much more important than other people. Well, guess what, a good restaurant will treat all its customers like they are VIOs. Not just the VIPs.

Please
or

surfergrl · 29/11/2021 16:09

Powercut in the whole village this past weekend for 12 hours. We have a generator and gas cookers, so still able to serve and heat/light the place. Got full very quickly. We do food from 12-2. "But don't you understand there are still people who want to eat now?" at 2.10pm. And "Why can't I sit here?" – you can't share a table with that complete stranger because of Covid, where have you been?? "Why can't I book a table?" Because we're sodding full...

Entitled customers in hospitality are too common. But we have lovely ones too.

Please
or

Ddot · 30/11/2021 06:43

My friend is a domestic appliance engineer and Christmas eve is always a nightmare, only emergency appliances are or should be booked in, say ovens, hobs so lunch is not ruined, or something needed for a disability. One rather posh shouty (lady!) demanded her dishwasher be fixed. He politely explained that due to her call out someone would not get their oven fixed for Christmas day. I dont care I want it fixed now. Company had given in to her, what a horrible attitude. Hope her turkey was dry and she didnt get the cracker prize.

Please
or

SewingMum46 · 30/11/2021 07:13

Ddot

We used to run a domestic appliance repair facility in an African country. One year we were invited by NDN - very posh elderly British lady - for Christmas lunch with her visiting family. She was well known for her eccentricities and many, many cats and dogs. Christmas Eve, she calls and tells my husband oven not working. He visits and finds it’s a 1960s Baby Belling- this was 2002/3. Finds the reason was a cockroach had shorted out the switch - hygiene in the house was always a little grim. Takes switch into living room to show her, leaving oven door open. Then goes back to kitchen and finds one of the cats jumping out of the oven having just used it as a toilet. I think the turkey was barbecued that year, but we never ate in her house!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.