Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

FH there's some entitled people !!

ginislife · 26/11/2021 13:17

There is no U to this but I've not stopped laughing since it happened. Yesterday I was in the office of a restaurant. It's a newish place, only small with great reviews, a top chef and is currently fully booked until February/March time. All bookings are done via the website and if someone cancels it automatically frees up the slot so often a customer will know before the staff that there's been a cancellation. I answered the phone to a man and the conversation went......
Him: hi, just wondered if there was a table free this evening
Me: no, I'm really sorry we're fully booked this evening (and was checking the on line diary to make sure at the same time)
Him: oh, fully booked ?
Me: yes, I'm sorry. Can I suggest you keep an eye on the website and if anyone cancels you'll be able to book their slot
Him: but can you not squeeze us in tonight ?
Me: no, as I said we're fully booked this evening
Him: but we want to come tonight. We're names in the town. We can bring lots of people to you
Me: I'm really sorry but as I say we're fully booked right up to Christmas and after.
Him: well, we won't ever be coming there then
And put the phone down
2 things: 1. We were genuinely fully booked. Where the fuck did he think they were going to sit ??? Did he really expect I'd call one of the guests who have been booked for months to say sorry but Mr big balls wants your table so you can't come ?
2. If we're fully booked now until March why does he even think we'd miss his custom if he never comes ??? Once the diary for April onwards is open for bookings we'll be fully booked instantly again.
The entitlement seriously astounded me. Hilarious.

OP's posts:
Please
or

EmKayEm · 26/11/2021 20:04

OP you are being highly unreasonable.

These people are the very life-blood of the industry, essential to the day to day operation of the business.

How many friendships (some 12 years and counting) have begun with "Wait until I tell you about the wankers I had in tonight"? and gone from there...

Please
or

NewlyGranny · 26/11/2021 20:08

Q: Do you know who I am?
A: No. I know who I am, but if you're experiencing memory loss, I expect someone who cares has listed their number on your mobile under "Who am I? Help!" Would you like me to check for you?

Please
or

13yearslater · 26/11/2021 20:10

I was in Sainsbo in a very posh town yesterday. A very posh woman wearing tweeds (about 65/70yrs old) hounded and hounded a poor supermarket worker about some wine she wanted that was no longer on the shelves.

She followed him around saying '..but you know me! I've been coming here for years. I even know your first name. Please put some by when the next delivery comes. I'll pay in advance. I'll collect that morning..'

Worker says 'We have no idea what is going to be delivered or when right now so I can't do that.'

Her: 'But you WILL be getting a delivery and all you have to do is ring me up...'

'hat's really not something we can do'

'But you KNOW me.' and on and on she went. Poor lad was nearly in tears and called the manager. The manager said 'yes ok...what's your name and number? I'll see what we can do.'

Anything to get rid of her.
Yuk.

Please
or

ChateauxNeufDePoop · 26/11/2021 20:13

@supremelybaffled

Michelin reviewers don't make themselves known when booking for starters

What about the main course?

Doffs cap Grin
Please
or

violetbunny · 26/11/2021 20:15

Whenever I hear the phrase "don't you know who I am?" I always think of this classic tv ad from NZ for instant win scratch cards. An oldie but a goodie!

Please
or

RosesAndHellebores · 26/11/2021 20:16

Well to be fair when I worked in the City (The Ivy/Blakes - insert super chic place) could always fit in uber charming Partner who called at short notice but went there a lot whereas a'hole Partner had to book three months in advance.

Please
or

ElephantOfRisk · 26/11/2021 20:24

I should get my DC to try the "I'm a name in this town" as I accidentally named them after local roundabouts so they are actually names in the town.

Please
or

EileenGC · 26/11/2021 20:25

Some of these are brilliant Grin

I used to work box office at a small theatre/multi-arts venue in London There was a local couple, who would come in every Monday morning at 11am to book shows and concerts for the week just starting.

There were always tickets to the literary evenings, free lunchtime recitals and tea dances, but at the weekends we'd have bigger concerts or comedy nights, with some pretty big names, so these would get booked up two or three months in advance.

Every single Monday, without fail, they would book their Tuesday to Thursday tickets and then the husband would throw a fit when we explained the weekend events were already full.

'But it's still Monday, why can't you book us two tickets?'.
'Sir, the show sold out three months ago just like the one we had yesterday, that you were also unable to book last Monday
'But do you remember who I am (Tom Jones of X Avenue, I am a regular, don't you know!?), there must be something you can do to fit us in'
'I'm very sorry sir, but the event is fully booked. May I suggest we book you in for X concert in February now, so you don't miss out closer to the time?'
'No, I only book my tickets on the Monday before the events. You must find a way of fitting us in.'

On the odd occasion we still had some tickets available, he'd get annoyed when 'HIS' seats were already taken. Yet we never managed to convince him to book something earlier than

Please
or

FreeBritnee · 26/11/2021 20:26

@Cornettoninja

Grin

This had made me cry with laughter 😂😂
Please
or

EileenGC · 26/11/2021 20:31

@Cornettoninja

Grin

Amazing!!! Grin

'Have you ever worked anywhere before?' sums it up so well Grin
Please
or

cleocleo81 · 26/11/2021 20:33

@Cornettoninja

Grin

Amazing!
Please
or

NearlyThereMum · 26/11/2021 20:40

@ginislife

There is no U to this but I've not stopped laughing since it happened. Yesterday I was in the office of a restaurant. It's a newish place, only small with great reviews, a top chef and is currently fully booked until February/March time. All bookings are done via the website and if someone cancels it automatically frees up the slot so often a customer will know before the staff that there's been a cancellation. I answered the phone to a man and the conversation went......
Him: hi, just wondered if there was a table free this evening
Me: no, I'm really sorry we're fully booked this evening (and was checking the on line diary to make sure at the same time)
Him: oh, fully booked ?
Me: yes, I'm sorry. Can I suggest you keep an eye on the website and if anyone cancels you'll be able to book their slot
Him: but can you not squeeze us in tonight ?
Me: no, as I said we're fully booked this evening
Him: but we want to come tonight. We're names in the town. We can bring lots of people to you
Me: I'm really sorry but as I say we're fully booked right up to Christmas and after.
Him: well, we won't ever be coming there then
And put the phone down
2 things: 1. We were genuinely fully booked. Where the fuck did he think they were going to sit ??? Did he really expect I'd call one of the guests who have been booked for months to say sorry but Mr big balls wants your table so you can't come ?
2. If we're fully booked now until March why does he even think we'd miss his custom if he never comes ??? Once the diary for April onwards is open for bookings we'll be fully booked instantly again.
The entitlement seriously astounded me. Hilarious.

But he's a name in the town......Grinunbelievable
Please
or

RubyTuesday70 · 26/11/2021 20:47

We work in the soft furnishing trade, and if I get one more idiot on the phone asking if they can have something for Christmas I may actually flip. We're booking workshop space for March FFS. And they're all so insistent as to WHY we need to fit them in Hmm

It's a good job that I've learned to count to 5 very calmly, then answer them............

Please
or

Xmasprrssiehelp · 26/11/2021 20:47

In my teenage years I was the manager of a small woman’s shoes shop. We would have about 50 shoes on display at a time. I had a little sticker under each shoe that had the code for which section of the stock room the shoe was in, and what sizes where left.

Woman; do you have this in a size 6
Me: checks sticker, no sorry we don’t - looks at similar shoes and suggests some we have in her size.
Woman: you haven’t even checked you have that shoe
Me: explains the sticker under the shoe
Woman: well I would like you to check the back
Me: goes into tiny stock room to check, looks at section - no shoe. Leaves stock room and explains
Woman: you was too fast you can’t of checked, check again
Me: ok, I will be I am certain we are out due to the sticker process
Woman: now behind me in stockroom, see I knew you wasn’t really checking
Me: please leave the store and never return

Please
or

MarleneDietrichsSmile · 26/11/2021 21:05

I love the

“Can I speak to your manager?”

“Can I speak to your mother?!”

Please
or

ginislife · 26/11/2021 21:10

@Ozanj Sorry to spoil your snarkiness but you're very wrong. Michelin book like normal customers. They never ask for favours. All inspections are anonymous. They don't even make themselves known after they've eaten most often. The owner would never cancel booked customers anyway - unless possibly it was Billy Big Balls lol.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Duchess379 · 26/11/2021 21:14

"Don't you know who I am?" 😂😆

Please
or

WestendVBroadway · 26/11/2021 21:34

@Ozanj

I bet your ‘fully booked’ restaurant would still find a way to squeeze in a Michelin reviewer or an A Lister though. That’s what is so disgingeous about ‘fully booked’ restaurants. You can ALWAYS find a table if you know someone.

This reminds me of when my DH and I were in our local Indian restaurant about 25 years ago. All the tables were occupied, we were on a table for 2 and another couple were sat near us on a table for 4. (This was obviously the only table available when they came in. ) We were all half way through our meals when the manager asked us and the other couple if we could possible all share the 4 seater table. This was so Daley Thompson, a popular athlete of the time could have the table for 2 with his dining partner. I doubt they would have done this for any old customer.
Please
or

BoredZelda · 26/11/2021 21:45

Ha, I've not had that one directly, though I do believe someone else did, I've had a complaint about the fishing boats starting up early and the tractors etc, in a seaside town, harbour side hotel.......

We had one, complaining about the mains water having frozen in the pipes, in north of Scotland, in what is still the longest prolonged period of cold on record. It was lunchtime and the temperature had risen to a balmy -14.

Please
or

FatOaf · 26/11/2021 21:55

We're names in the town.

Is the town Scunthorpe?

Please
or

DroopyClematis · 26/11/2021 21:58

@FatOaf

We're names in the town.

Is the town Scunthorpe?

👏👏👏
Please
or

frumpety · 26/11/2021 22:06

Many moons ago working in a travel related field , customer rings up and asks for the impossible, person on the phone calmly explains the impossible is impossible, more than once, customer says 'do you know who I am ? ' , work person counters with 'do you know who I am ?' he blusters and she says 'well fuck off then !' He rang back to complain but as he didn't know who she was, nothing could be done.

Please
or

Rainbowsew · 26/11/2021 22:18

My dh had the "don't you know who I am?" comment when he worked in a pub in his 20s. He didn't. Turns out he was some z list kids' TV presenter Grin

Please
or

oakleaffy · 26/11/2021 22:34

Ironically some of the most well recognised faces are some of the nicest mannered.
A few years ago, was in a Post office, there were big queues, and a familiar voice came to my ear.. The bloke looked familiar, too, but he wasn't a friend.
Paul McGann , just chatting and waiting patiently like everyone else.
Decent bloke, not at all big headed.

I guarantee that the ''Big name in town'' was a complete nobody.

Please
or

JudgeJ · 26/11/2021 22:37

[quote EileenGC]Some of these are brilliant Grin

I used to work box office at a small theatre/multi-arts venue in London There was a local couple, who would come in every Monday morning at 11am to book shows and concerts for the week just starting.

There were always tickets to the literary evenings, free lunchtime recitals and tea dances, but at the weekends we'd have bigger concerts or comedy nights, with some pretty big names, so these would get booked up two or three months in advance.

Every single Monday, without fail, they would book their Tuesday to Thursday tickets and then the husband would throw a fit when we explained the weekend events were already full.

'But it's still Monday, why can't you book us two tickets?'.
'Sir, the show sold out three months ago just like the one we had yesterday, that you were also unable to book last Monday
'But do you remember who I am (Tom Jones of X Avenue, I am a regular, don't you know!?), there must be something you can do to fit us in'
'I'm very sorry sir, but the event is fully booked. May I suggest we book you in for X concert in February now, so you don't miss out closer to the time?'
'No, I only book my tickets on the Monday before the events. You must find a way of fitting us in.'

On the odd occasion we still had some tickets available, he'd get annoyed when 'HIS' seats were already taken. Yet we never managed to convince him to book something earlier than

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.