Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

FH there's some entitled people !!

ginislife · 26/11/2021 13:17

There is no U to this but I've not stopped laughing since it happened. Yesterday I was in the office of a restaurant. It's a newish place, only small with great reviews, a top chef and is currently fully booked until February/March time. All bookings are done via the website and if someone cancels it automatically frees up the slot so often a customer will know before the staff that there's been a cancellation. I answered the phone to a man and the conversation went......
Him: hi, just wondered if there was a table free this evening
Me: no, I'm really sorry we're fully booked this evening (and was checking the on line diary to make sure at the same time)
Him: oh, fully booked ?
Me: yes, I'm sorry. Can I suggest you keep an eye on the website and if anyone cancels you'll be able to book their slot
Him: but can you not squeeze us in tonight ?
Me: no, as I said we're fully booked this evening
Him: but we want to come tonight. We're names in the town. We can bring lots of people to you
Me: I'm really sorry but as I say we're fully booked right up to Christmas and after.
Him: well, we won't ever be coming there then
And put the phone down
2 things: 1. We were genuinely fully booked. Where the fuck did he think they were going to sit ??? Did he really expect I'd call one of the guests who have been booked for months to say sorry but Mr big balls wants your table so you can't come ?
2. If we're fully booked now until March why does he even think we'd miss his custom if he never comes ??? Once the diary for April onwards is open for bookings we'll be fully booked instantly again.
The entitlement seriously astounded me. Hilarious.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DdraigGoch · 27/11/2021 01:22

We can bring lots of people to you

You see this sort of thing said when 'influencers' are after freebies. Why a fully-booked business would want any extra customers when it wouldn't be able to serve them is beyond me.

Please
or

crazycanuck · 27/11/2021 02:33

@Athenajm80 pillocks, the lot of ‘em 🤦🏼‍♀️

Please
or

WomanStanleyWoman · 27/11/2021 04:05

@VitalsStable

You should have started guessing, Erm Al Pacino? Robert de Niro? Prince William? Jesus of Nazareth, is it your disciples you'll be bringing along?

I remember a man in front of us being late for a flight when checking in and when he said to the check in clerk "Don't you know who I am?" She very calmly replied "Yes Sir, the man who has just missed flight blah blah blah to Geneva" whilst bestowing him with a beautiful smile.

The whole check in line pissed themselves.

Things that absolutely definitely happened part 227.
Please
or

Mothership4two · 27/11/2021 04:09

What a daft comment @Ozanj. So, because you think you know this happens, do you think the OP should have given him a table?

Restaurants are small businesses with different personalities and policies. They are not one huge amalgamation of eating establishments with one mind that act identically.

I understand the point the OP was making and yes there are some CF's out there

Please
or

Ophanim · 27/11/2021 05:05

@Judith0000
"You're obviously a popular restaurant, but I have to admit, I dont really have the patience for restaurants that never have any tables available. "

So they get booked up immediately. What do you expect them to do? Refuse to take bookings in case someone turns up impromptu?

And what if those people don't turn up, tables should sit empty when they could have been booked?

Please
or

GoIntoTheLight · 27/11/2021 05:28

@WomanStanleyWoman

I thought the same - I’m sure I’ve heard that anecdote before, and another version where she picks up the microphone and asks waiting passengers “does anyone know this man who has forgotten who he is.”

Please
or

ClaudiaJ1 · 27/11/2021 05:43

OP, some people are so selfish and ignorant that they cannot stop for even a moment to comprehend the logistics of what they're suggesting.

Please
or

ClaudiaJ1 · 27/11/2021 05:44

@Honkytonkyhonky

We had something similar a few years ago

Some woman walked into work,ordered her food and started screaming at us that we should get someone to move/leave as she had a pram with her so that gave her a god given right to a seat/table

(Don’t come in on a busy Saturday at lunchtime if your not prepared to wait a few minutes to sit down)

She was really screaming at people to move as ‘I have a fucking baby!I have a pram so I can’t go upstairs!so fucking move!’

I’d had enough-so I pointed out that ‘I’ve pushed 6 kids out of my fanny-does that mean I should get a throne to sit on?of course not-so you’ll just have to wait for a seat’

She went mental-but other customers started agreeing so she flounced out screaming she was never coming back

Of course the following week she came back and has repeated the same crap every week since but avoids me…

@Honkytonkyhonky If she does this every week, why hasn't she been banned? Why wasn't she banned the second time, why is she in every week? Time for management to ban her or else she might turn away good customers.
Please
or

Billybagpuss · 27/11/2021 06:53

@ElephantOfRisk

I should get my DC to try the "I'm a name in this town" as I accidentally named them after local roundabouts so they are actually names in the town.

@ElephantOfRiskThe roundabout in our town is called ‘horse trough’ so I hope it’s not that
Please
or

billy1966 · 27/11/2021 09:33

@Cornettoninja just sent that to my son.

He works part time in a customer facing job while at university.

He loathes the job and most of the customers.

His annoyance is very funny to listen to and is very similar to that guy.

Please
or

Honkytonkyhonky · 27/11/2021 09:41

@ClaudiaJ1
It’s a fast food place-think Golden Arches
The bosses let it go as she is a regular (you’d be amazed at some of the behaviour they let slide-only last night they refused to sling out pissed 13 year olds)
Even if one bans her-if she walks back in and that manager isn’t there,then the next one won’t bother to ask her to leave

I need a new job

Please
or

ElephantOfRisk · 27/11/2021 11:26

@ElephantOfRiskThe roundabout in our town is called ‘horse trough’ so I hope it’s not that

Grin Nope, not that. It wasn't deliberate, DC were born in a different place and then we moved here and then realised. Their names are pretty normal.

Please
or

ginislife · 27/11/2021 15:28

@Judith0000 so if the restaurant only has 30 covers and does lunch service Tuesday to Sunday and dinner service Tuesday to Saturday if they're constantly booked that's because a) the food is excellent and people want to go there and b) people are fast off the mark to book in. They're certainly not deliberately holding back tables just in case. If you get to book then you're in. You snooze you lose it's as simple as that

OP's posts:
Please
or

motherofawhirlwind · 27/11/2021 17:05

I fear my OH may have been one of these people if I hadn't have stopped him...

Him - Shall we have some new curtains for Christmas?
Me - in time for Christmas or as a gift to ourselves, do you mean?
Him - Well, both really. Get the lady round to measure this week?
Me - Hmm I can ask, but if they're here for Easter, I'd be surprised!
Him - looks shocked Does it take that long to make curtains?!?
Me - Confused

Turns out he thinks it's a 5 minute job and she's sat waiting for calls....

Please
or

ColinTheKoala · 27/11/2021 17:11

@Ozanj

I bet your ‘fully booked’ restaurant would still find a way to squeeze in a Michelin reviewer or an A Lister though. That’s what is so disgingeous about ‘fully booked’ restaurants. You can ALWAYS find a table if you know someone.

I wouldn't. I hate people who are sycophantic towards "celebs". They are just the same as the rest of us.

Giles Coren or Grace Dent would have to book ahead like anyone else, too.
Please
or

JudgeJ · 27/11/2021 17:13

[quote 5foot5]@JudgeJ
Reminds me of a friend who rang in September to say that she and her friends from far across the UK were going to come to a very well known Christmas show held near me in the middle of nowhere. When I asked if they had tickets she seemed surprised, but it's only September, I had to tell her that tickets went on sale around the previous Boxing Day and she hadn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting half a dozen! She was very puzzled.

Was that in Norfolk by any chance?[/quote]
Where else would have a huge Christmas show in the middle of nowhere???!!!

Please
or

Daverl1980 · 27/11/2021 17:53

It’s akin to someone asking me at work “Do you know who my father is ?”, I always reply dead pan “I’m sorry I can’t help you with that, have you tried asking your mother ?” And when I get the “ Do you know who I am ?” ,”I’m sorry I can’t help you, are you suffering from amnesia ?”.

Please
or

Neighbour667 · 27/11/2021 17:53

“Do you know who you are talking to? I am a very important person, and I know a lot of people in this town

“No. I don’t know who I’m talking to. Do you know who YOU are talking to?“

“No!“

“Well fuck right off then.“

Please
or

Suzanne999 · 27/11/2021 17:58

“ We’re names in the town” not necessarily something to be proud of. I’m sure the local drug dealers, petty thieves and burglars are too :)

Please
or

ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff · 27/11/2021 18:01

A couple of months ago I had a last minute trip. Checked online to see if there were any available rooms at the hotel my friends were staying at. None online. Called up just to double check, nope no rooms, fully booked. Fair enough. Chummed them in to said hotel and thought I'd check one last time in person. Low and behold! Rooms available!

Please
or

sueelleker · 27/11/2021 18:12

@tootootaataa

I worked for a travel company and have many like this... noisy birds outside of rooms are a common complaint! However, one of my favourites was an American tourist who came on a winter tour but complained that the sun set too early for her to enjoy her evenings. What did they expect?
I declined the request for compensation.

I remember a story where a German couple were incensed to find that the midnight sun was the same one they had at home-they were expecting a second sun.
Please
or

dayswithaY · 27/11/2021 18:19

I once worked in a high end clothes shop, there was a discount scheme available for people who worked for an affiliated company. A woman swept in and said her daughter worked for said company and so she (not the daughter) needed a discount. I said it is for the employee only ie, not you.

Her response "I will never set foot in this shop again."

Ermm...okay, bye then.

Please
or

SeafrontBingo · 27/11/2021 18:33

Aesthetic doctors, the big names, will always see celebs ahead of other scheduled apts. Same re: queue jumping for all sorts. Club memberships, top booked hotels, etc.

Please
or

MaisyMary77 · 27/11/2021 18:42

We were staying at a hotel in Croatia- 5 of us so we had a large family suite; lounge & 2 bedrooms. We came back from a day at the beach and they’d moved all our stuff out into a smaller suite because friends of the manager had come to stay. They didn’t bother asking us, or even tell us as we trekked past the reception desk. We opened the door to our rooms and were greeted by the sight of other people’s stuff. It was really surreal. We had a very loud conversation with the manager. Still can’t believe it to this day!

Please
or

Prokupatuscrakedatus · 27/11/2021 18:49

I remember a story where a German couple were incensed to find that the midnight sun was the same one they had at home-they were expecting a second sun.

Germany is at the arctic circle?
They got that spectacularily wrong then.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.