Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To be furious and upset with friends- what do we do

0verth1inker · 26/11/2021 12:10

I’ll try and keep this brief.

We (me, DH and DC age 4 and 2.5) were meeting friends (couple with DC age 8 months) at a Christmas light walk through thing around 1 hour 15 from where we live last Sunday eve at 4:30pm.
They booked tickets I transferred money (£62)
We get there at 4:25, message saying we are here will wait in car so we can all go in together as you have tickets
Response 4:35 ‘so sorry running late! We left about 45 mins ago won’t be long’
Rang x 2 eventually answer, asked if they will send us the e tickets so we can get in. ‘No no we are 10 mins away’
DC getting bored, wound up, want to go in. Text them asking to send tickets.
They Arrive 5:15. None of us allowed in as we have missed our slot.
We are raging, kids are crying we all take the bloody long journey home having to get a Maccies to cheer kids up.
We message asking for the money back, they say it’s ‘just one of those things, ridiculous they wouldn’t let us in’

They’re good friends but I am raging. It’s entirely their fault, they are v PFB and he woke up late from his nap then wanted a super long feed which is why they were late. How do I ask again, and firmly? They are unreasonable right??

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

lunar1 · 26/11/2021 12:38

You deserve better friends than that. £62 is a lot of money, I would be very firm that they need to return it. I'd be mortified if I caused someone to miss out like that.

Please
or

Dixiechickonhols · 26/11/2021 12:38

I’d be so annoyed. For a £62 event you make sure you are on time. Why wouldn’t they forward email?

Please
or

Rainbowsew · 26/11/2021 12:39

Realised I didn't say what I'd do.

Definitely reply saying it's not one of those things, you were late and you caused me and my dc a great deal of distress which could have been easily avoided if you'd sent the tickets on. It's only fair you reimburse us.

Decent friends would have sent the tickets, they would also offer to reimburse straightway when they messed up you day out.

they should be grateful you aren't asking for the wasted petrol and lunch money too!

Please
or

ScholesPanda · 26/11/2021 12:40

YANBU. Bad enough to be that late, but they should have sent you the tickets. If it was me I'd be mortified to have let someone down like that and would definitely be refunding the money.

Please
or

OVienna · 26/11/2021 12:40

I would also just be saying: "We cannot afford to write off £62, I'm sure you understand and appreciate you refunding us."

Please
or

Feedingthebirds1 · 26/11/2021 12:46

Rang x 2 eventually answer, asked if they will send us the e tickets so we can get in. ‘No no we are 10 mins away’
DC getting bored, wound up, want to go in. Text them asking to send tickets.

Anybody else wondering if there actually were any tickets?

Please
or

JudgeJ · 26/11/2021 12:49

@Aquamarine1029

The friendship is over no matter what the outcome is. Doesn't sound like a big lose, honestly.

Not 'a big loss' to you maybe but to many it's a huge amount at an expensive time of the year. Some people on here are so smug in their self-righteousness.
Please
or

0verth1inker · 26/11/2021 12:50

@Feedingthebirds1 they definitely did have them! They had them up on the phone and were arguing with the event staff to get in. I think they had this image of us all going in together, wandering round with a hot drink (which would have been lovely!!) and didn’t want us to start without them.
Thanks all- glad to know my indignation is reasonable! I think because their baby didn’t care he missed it as obviously was clueless they didn’t appreciate the impact on our kids (although our four year old did burst into tears when we weren’t allowed in Sad ).
I’ve messaged saying ‘hi guys, I know it’s frustrating and you can’t help if baby needs a feed but we asked you for the tickets as we were there and you wouldn’t send them, otherwise we could have gone in. The kids were looking forward to it so if you could send the money over we Are going to rebook for another time’
Just hope they have tickets left…

OP's posts:
Please
or

0verth1inker · 26/11/2021 12:51

@JudgeJ I read @Aquamarine1029 post as not a big loss of their friendship rather than finances! Yes it’s a lot of money this time of year and a real treat for our family.

OP's posts:
Please
or

starray · 26/11/2021 12:51

From what I'm reading, they don't see it as their fault at all. In their minds, it is entirely the fault of the venue for not letting all of you in. Wow. I'm shocked that people like this exist.

Please
or

Globaluser · 26/11/2021 12:52

Baby sleeping and baby feeding - both those things could’ve been done in the car. Yanbu.

Please
or

purpleme12 · 26/11/2021 12:52

God I really hope they respond to that and refund it

Please
or

starray · 26/11/2021 12:53

I think you've been very nice in your last text, and if you lose the friendship over this, then so be it.

Please
or

Bluetrews25 · 26/11/2021 12:55

I have a feeling they will continue to be 'those' parents.
Becoming distant might not be a bad thing.
Sorry your DCs missed out.

Please
or

Nasturs · 26/11/2021 12:57

Well done for standing up for yourselves.

Please
or

AndTime · 26/11/2021 12:57

I would absolutely be wanting them to refund me and I wouldn't care one bit about ruining the friendship.

I wouldn't want to be friends with them anyway, selfish, inconsiderate idiots. They should have sent you the e-tickets not upset your DC by ruining everyone's day!

Please
or

Embracelife · 26/11/2021 12:57

Lesson learned
Book your own tickets separately for same time slot
Don't trust them again

Please
or

sparepantsandtoothbrush · 26/11/2021 12:58

I think the next reply to that message would dictate whether I'd want to continue with the friendship. If they still refuse I'd be taking a very large step back

Please
or

CSJobseeker · 26/11/2021 12:58

We message asking for the money back, they say it’s ‘just one of those things, ridiculous they wouldn’t let us in’

So you message again making clear that as you were on time, you expect that money back.

Please
or

KosherDill · 26/11/2021 12:59

I'd be raging too. Such lack of respect and consideration.

Let us know how this progresses. No refund would be a dealbreaker for me. Not just the $$ but the attitude.

Please
or

PipeOfPringles · 26/11/2021 12:59

@JudgeJ i think "not a big loss" referred to the friendship not the cash.

Please
or

FeloniusGru · 26/11/2021 12:59

This is awful! Obviously £62 is a lot of money to waste but I think the worst part of this is that you had a 2.5 hour round trip with 2 small children and nothing to show for it! My son is 3 and I know how gutted he would be if this happened, poor kids Sad
I hope you get your money back and manage to rebook!!
And definitely give the “friends” a bit of space for a while before deciding whether it’s a friendship worth trying to salvage.

Please
or

Goldenbear · 26/11/2021 12:59

I'd be so embarrassed if I had behaved like your friends that I would have offered the money before you asked. It is often not just the money, it is also the fact that these things have to be booked quite a bit in advance- often tickets sell out. Perhaps if they haven't offered without being asked i would probably question the friendship anyway.

Please
or

KosherDill · 26/11/2021 13:00

@FeloniusGru

This is awful! Obviously £62 is a lot of money to waste but I think the worst part of this is that you had a 2.5 hour round trip with 2 small children and nothing to show for it! My son is 3 and I know how gutted he would be if this happened, poor kids Sad
I hope you get your money back and manage to rebook!!
And definitely give the “friends” a bit of space for a while before deciding whether it’s a friendship worth trying to salvage.

Yes, point out the time on the journey & the kids' disappointed, OP.
Please
or

JesusInTheCabbageVan · 26/11/2021 13:01

Glad you're sticking to your guns!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.