My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is there something you want but just can’t bear to buy?

617 replies

Opal93 · 09/05/2021 10:54

I’ve posted before about how I am a self confessed shopping addict. I’ve put myself on a semi ban, and I’m allowed to buy necessities for myself or replace makeup items that have ran out but I am not to buy things just because I want them. I have saved almost £1000 in a month, which is frightening! The big “f**k it” purchases (maybe £300) combined with impulsively buying makeup, a new top here and there, chocolate, extra luxuries in grocery shop REALLY mounted up. So last night (I had been drinking) I ALMOST fell into the trap and bought myself a very expensive pair of trainers. I didn’t give in and I still haven’t. The guilt of spoiling how well I’ve done and how much I’ve saved would stop me even enjoying them. I’ll just stick to admiring them from afar. Are there any items you lust after, and technically could afford, but just can’t justify buying?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

301 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
17%
You are NOT being unreasonable
83%
Askinvillarblues · 09/05/2021 15:21

[quote Askinvillarblues]To the PP who wanted a Fairfax and Favor bag, I can give you a 10% discount code if that helps the decision 😈 (I get 10% off my next order too if you use it) fairfaxandfavor.mention-me.com/m/ol/oh9tp-b32d823161[/quote]
I think it was @MagicSummer

Sciurus83 · 09/05/2021 15:23

Oh and yes to cosmetic dentistry, would like composite work for where I've ground my teeth short and whitening. Also Fairfax and Favour boots, an oversize cashmere jumper. I cannot afford these things at all!

tentative3 · 09/05/2021 15:23

@Fastforwardtospring

Le Creuset large cast iron casserole, actually I might have bought one but can’t decide on the colour!

Once you start looking, le creuset is surprisingly easy to come across second hand (often unused). I have a huge collection now, only one of which has been bought at retail (another one was bought new but massively discounted on amazon well over a decade ago, it was a mistake I think and I wish I'd ordered more than 1). I've got it from charity shops, car boots, ebay and a house clearance place near us.
Orangebug · 09/05/2021 15:24

A new phone. Making do with a new battery instead.

stillplayswithtoys · 09/05/2021 15:29

@KickBishopBrennanUpTheArse

A Philips lumea.

It's such a lot of money to spend when it might not work.

It works!! I've saved a fortune on shavers/waxing over the years
WiltedDaffs · 09/05/2021 15:29

@Meruem

This thread is now making me look at adult tricycles! I like cycling, but am not overly confident, things like I wobble if a car speeds past me, and I live in London. So I don’t think it would be especially safe for me to ride a 2 wheeler. A 3 wheeler sounds much safer, but would people point and laugh? That’s what would hold me back.

Not at all, I’m seeing more and more adults riding tricycles in my town. They’re really good if you want something more stable and easier to balance. They’re also great for transporting shopping home as many have a big basket between the two back wheels.
Whenwillitmakesense · 09/05/2021 15:30

I have a dualit toaster that is now 22 years old and still works so i would go for it. Also have a kitchen aid. These sort of things are classics and last so I can always justify buying them

The black le creuset are also worth it as they wash well and will last for years.

I can‘t justify things like lulu lemon leggings etc

BlessedBeTheFruitCake · 09/05/2021 15:31

A new iPad, mine is very old and doesn’t receive updates anymore so I can’t download any apps.
A border terrier puppy.
A nice, fancy handbag.

SunnySpills · 09/05/2021 15:32

@flippertygibbit

www.beautifect.com/
Still swithering...............

That is a joy to behold...I want one.
G3ntlemanJ · 09/05/2021 15:32

@ThreeLadsPointingAtAStar

Dubarry boots.

I've actually saved up money for them but just can't bring myself to actually pay that much for a pair of boots. Seems like such a luxury.

Buy them! I've had mine for about 8 years, I have worn them virtually every day for walking the dog, riding and looking after my horse. They're waterproof and soooo comfy! They're still going strong and I don't even have to think about replacing them yet. A very worthwhile investment, plus you can wear them with a pair of jeans or whatever to go to the pub, I do use them as a fashion statement too 😂
KFleming · 09/05/2021 15:33

A new bath because my current one is too big.
I know, I know, not really a problem. But it takes so long to fill up and it’s wide so even giving toddler DD a shallower bath is annoying. But I obviously cannot justify getting a new one for such an absurd reason. It’s not even a big bathroom, I don’t know why whoever did it put in such a big bath.

Clariana · 09/05/2021 15:38

A motorhome, my goodness they are so expensive since coronvirus.

Whitney168 · 09/05/2021 15:38

@bridgetreilly

]]

I didn't know such a thing existed, but I want it now too.

Kitchen for me. We are part way through the process, we have the money to do it - but like a previous poster, I just can't be arsed with the hassle of it. So. Many. Decisions. To. Make.
8monthsinandcranky · 09/05/2021 15:39

Loads Blush

A load of new clothes and accessories
Fancy lounge wear and pyjamas (all of mine I’ve had since my teens)
Full wardrobe of new ‘nice’ underwear
A mulberry bag
My walk in wardrobe renovating
New pans
New baking tins and piping nozzles
Ooh a full house set of fancy towels
My hair properly cutting and highlighting

Financially we are lucky and I could get all of these tomorrow but having grown up firmly on the breadline I just can’t spend like that and enjoy it. So I keep a constant list of things and space them out so I appreciate them. Got a lovely new car (was needed) last summer and still feeling very buzzed about that. I love it!

Sparklingbrook · 09/05/2021 15:39

I already have 2 of these but I want all the bags and straps and all of the tassells in all of the colours. I have one in the basket but can't quite bring myself to check out. Grin

megandbee.co.uk/

FrozenVag · 09/05/2021 15:40

Facelift

😂

Iminaglasscaseofemotion · 09/05/2021 15:42

New doors and skirting boards throughout the house. It would make the place look so much better, but will be expensive, but the thing that's putting me off the most is the upheaval and mess it will make. I just can't be bothered!

MagicSummer · 09/05/2021 15:42

[quote Askinvillarblues]To the PP who wanted a Fairfax and Favor bag, I can give you a 10% discount code if that helps the decision 😈 (I get 10% off my next order too if you use it) fairfaxandfavor.mention-me.com/m/ol/oh9tp-b32d823161[/quote]
Thank you @Askinvillarblues - do you have one of their bags? If so can you recommend the Windsor? I do like the turquoise mini Windsor but luckily it is out of stock!! I am going to have think about it tonight and will let you know what I decide. I think the Windsor tan suede is probably the one I'd get most use out of.

Iminaglasscaseofemotion · 09/05/2021 15:43

There is honestly no clothing/accessory/make up or any other luxury item that I would waste a lot of money on.

mermaidsariel · 09/05/2021 15:44

That make up box is to die for!

BlueShrew · 09/05/2021 15:45

@jannyapple

I've done several of these things posted here
Always to make myself happy - feel better - some of it has been disastrous
Liked a beautiful Karen Millen jacket and as I admired it this bitch sales assistant said oh that only goes up to a 10 ( I'm a fat 12) so I took it in the changing room came out and said fab it's perfect ! Never been worn once , if I did I'd rip the shoulders lol
Also spent 350 quid on a bag that I'm scared to take outside in case it gets dirty/ marked/ ruined
Also bought an 800 quid ring that I have worn twice
And some 190 quid timberlands that make me look like a lumberjack ... also never been out the house ... I could go on ..

Get yourself on Ebay and you'll get a decent amount for those!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

SunnySpills · 09/05/2021 15:45

@Meruem

This thread is now making me look at adult tricycles! I like cycling, but am not overly confident, things like I wobble if a car speeds past me, and I live in London. So I don’t think it would be especially safe for me to ride a 2 wheeler. A 3 wheeler sounds much safer, but would people point and laugh? That’s what would hold me back.

Treat yourself.

I've got an electric one with a cargo basket on the back. It's
great and I get stopped regularly by people admiring it and
asking where I bought it from.
Iminaglasscaseofemotion · 09/05/2021 15:46

Oh actually I thought of one. Kitchen knifes. I can not bring myself to buy expensive good ones. I just keep struggling on with the same shitty blunt ones.

Sparklingbrook · 09/05/2021 15:47

@Iminaglasscaseofemotion

There is honestly no clothing/accessory/make up or any other luxury item that I would waste a lot of money on.

It doesn't feel like a waste if it makes me happy, I see it as self care more than anything. Treating myself.
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.