My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Is there something you want but just can’t bear to buy?

617 replies

Opal93 · 09/05/2021 10:54

I’ve posted before about how I am a self confessed shopping addict. I’ve put myself on a semi ban, and I’m allowed to buy necessities for myself or replace makeup items that have ran out but I am not to buy things just because I want them. I have saved almost £1000 in a month, which is frightening! The big “f**k it” purchases (maybe £300) combined with impulsively buying makeup, a new top here and there, chocolate, extra luxuries in grocery shop REALLY mounted up. So last night (I had been drinking) I ALMOST fell into the trap and bought myself a very expensive pair of trainers. I didn’t give in and I still haven’t. The guilt of spoiling how well I’ve done and how much I’ve saved would stop me even enjoying them. I’ll just stick to admiring them from afar. Are there any items you lust after, and technically could afford, but just can’t justify buying?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

301 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
17%
You are NOT being unreasonable
83%
readingismycardio · 09/05/2021 14:42

God damn it, this thread is only giving me ideas 😂😂😂

Needcoffeecoffeecoffee · 09/05/2021 14:47

Kitchen aid mixer
New bathroom. Theres nothing particularly wrong with it but the bath is too shallow for me so I was up sulking instead of relaxing Grin
Handmade silk dressing gown. Completely frivolous and expensive. I would also still look like a dumpy harassed mother not some glamorous Hollywood starlet from the 1920s wafting about

Silvercatowner · 09/05/2021 14:48

Another one wanting a horse. Not to ride, just to pet. It could live in my greenhouse, yes?

eechypeechy · 09/05/2021 14:49

@MiddleParking have you tried looking on Depop? I got a brand new one on there for £45, had the tags attached and everything!

Shantotto · 09/05/2021 14:53

@flippertygibbit

www.beautifect.com/
Still swithering...............

I don’t even wear make up and I want one of these!
Reinventinganna · 09/05/2021 14:53

I used to be like you and now I struggle to spend!
So I have many ‘wants’ but as they aren’t ‘needs’ I go without.

Reinventinganna · 09/05/2021 14:53

Forgot to add, saving becomes addictive!

Iamaperiwinkle · 09/05/2021 15:00

I want lots of things including some lovely recycled vintage welsh blankets for my bed -the ones I like normally are about £400 so just no. Same with expensive shoes or anything else. I see my mum in particular with 30 handbags -WTF is the point. You see a bag and love it -and it is just the same as the one you have at home.

WithLoveFromMyselfToYourself · 09/05/2021 15:03

I’ve bookmarked the Beautifect!

Tana433 · 09/05/2021 15:04

I buy myself something i really want (up to £50 but usually a lot less) each month and then put it away for Christmas. I did it for the 1st time last year and it was lovely. A couple of books i really wanted to read. Dvds of obscure films that arent on tv often, toiletries that i wouldnt normally buy for myself. I was lovely and i felt like a big spoilt kid!

speakout · 09/05/2021 15:04

Reinventinganna

I agree. I used to be really bad with money, lots of debts, loans, credit cards maxed out.
Came to a head and I decided I didn't want to live like this anymore.
So worked to pay off my debts and started saving.
I am now very careful with money, and save a lot.
The pleasure of a new handbag pales when compared to looking at my savings account- and knowing that if I need to buy a new car, help out my young adult children, put a new roof on my house- it will not be a problem.
Savings bring such security and peace of mind.

IhaveMyMoments · 09/05/2021 15:06

A cricut machine. I just want one!

IamwhoIsayIam · 09/05/2021 15:07

@Freshprincess

Sweaty Betty leggings. I hear how amazing they are and I run a lot so would definitely get my money’s worth. But £75 seems insane amount to wear for an hour and then chuck them in the wash. Can’t quite bring myself to click purchase.

Get them!!! Honestly, this was me until September but as soon as I bit the bullet and ran in them for the first time I became a convert.
MagicSummer · 09/05/2021 15:07

[quote Daisy829]@Blossomtoes I agree. I love the bayswater but they are so so heavy. Lots of other nice bags out there to consider though. For a similar style try fairfax and favour windsor. Much cheaper and lighter.[/quote]
I've just looked at Fairfax and Favour and now want the turquoise mini Windsor!!! Thanks!

mermaidsariel · 09/05/2021 15:08

A kitchen aid mixer
A designer handbag
A diamond ring
A new kitchen
One of those basket seats on a stand that swings

One of those retro Roberts radios

MaudesMum · 09/05/2021 15:09

iphone 12 mini. I can - nearly - justify it as my current iphone is 6 years old, and won't download new software any more meaning that an increasing number of apps can't be loaded. And it has an incredibly short battery life. But, my god, the price.

musingloud · 09/05/2021 15:09

I can't get past someone having enough money to be able to blow £1k a month on crap. Wow.

Staffy1 · 09/05/2021 15:11

New iPad, mine is very old.
New vacuum cleaner. The one we have is fine, but I hate it, it's difficult to use.
New bras, why the hell are bras so expensive for a small bit of material?

itsgettingwierd · 09/05/2021 15:12

A pair of Lucy and yak dungarees.

The ones I want are £62 and I cannot bring myself to pay that.

They do ones for £34 in the sale and that seems more reasonable. But never the ones I want!

agreatmistake · 09/05/2021 15:12

@MaudesMum

iphone 12 mini. I can - nearly - justify it as my current iphone is 6 years old, and won't download new software any more meaning that an increasing number of apps can't be loaded. And it has an incredibly short battery life. But, my god, the price.

I feel you on this.

I could afford one, but it just feels so extravagant. Too extravagant.

I'm really bad at spending money on myself. Sometimes I manage to put things in a basket online and look at them wistfully, but that's about it.
SantiagoSky · 09/05/2021 15:13

A Tesla

Iamsodonewith2020 · 09/05/2021 15:15

£150 dualit toaster and matching &120 kettle. Just can’t do it even though I could afford it and really want them. Worried they won’t live up to the hype and my old toaster still works fine

Askinvillarblues · 09/05/2021 15:20

To the PP who wanted a Fairfax and Favor bag, I can give you a 10% discount code if that helps the decision 😈 (I get 10% off my next order too if you use it) fairfaxandfavor.mention-me.com/m/ol/oh9tp-b32d823161

Sciurus83 · 09/05/2021 15:20

Sweaty Betty leggings are great but don't pay full price! Follow them on social media and wait for the sale, you have to be QUICK if you want S or M as they sell out fast but I've got 2 pairs over the last couple years, £35 and £42 which is a lot more reasonable

Askinvillarblues · 09/05/2021 15:21

[quote Askinvillarblues]To the PP who wanted a Fairfax and Favor bag, I can give you a 10% discount code if that helps the decision 😈 (I get 10% off my next order too if you use it) fairfaxandfavor.mention-me.com/m/ol/oh9tp-b32d823161[/quote]
I think it was @MagicSummer

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.